Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sonic and In-n-Out Burger question

We have an In n Out about a mile from here. We go once a year. I don't think of any fast food places as a special destination place to eat.

2. # ADS

I am a fan of Fatburger, there is one next to Knott's that we stop by on location.

But that is for a change of pace, our first option for burgers is In-n-Out, followed by Johnny Rockets.

But I love the fact that Fatburger will add an egg to the burger.

Check out my photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

I guess I have to say that I am the only one that doesn't like In-n-Out. It's just fried hamburgers. They taste like I made them at home on the stove instead of the grill. And they are greasy too. Their fries are the weirdest fries I've ever had and not very good. I would definitely pick Sonic over InO. Sonic has really good onion rings, coneys, and cherry-limeades. The S. Ca place we always had to go to on our trips was Del Taco. Now we have both of them here so it isn't a treat anymore.

My nephew works at InO and they are tough to work for. He really enjoys it, but there are tests that they have to pass on smiling and courtesy. They pay their employees well too. He's 17 and will be making $11.50 ph by June. He's over $10 right now. They demand a lot of their employees too but they are rewarded. They got a certain number of points on something so they are taking the entire crew one night to go to some indoor racing thing. They bring in employees from another store to cover for them. I don't know many companies that do that.

I do have to say that if I had to choose between InO and Fatbuger, InO would win. It's also a fried burger. Not my thing. We do like to order the HUGE pizza from one of the pizza places. We can't remember which one it is though. But it was very good and a fun memory for Cali.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    My nephew works at InO and they are tough to work for. He really enjoys it, but there are tests that they have to pass on smiling and courtesy.
    Let me tell you, that is soooo important. It really shows.

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

just a figment

EFoxx and I love In -n-Out. We just found out one fast food place here in chicago Portillos has a place in Buena Park. Their hot dogs are great and they have a great chicken and pecan salad. EFoxx would love to have a In-n-Our here in Chicago but no franchising here in the mid-west due because they are family own. No In-n-Out fix til June. Sonic is good too but we only get our Sonic fix when we go to WDW.

It's every tribe, every nation. It's all God's children singing, Glory, Glory, Hallelujah. He Reigns.
    Newsboys

I guess I have to say that I am the only one that doesn't like In-n-Out. ...Their fries are the weirdest fries I've ever had and not very good.
    Not a knock, just an observation.

In-n-Out fries come into the store as potatoes. They are peeled, cut and fried without being altered.

Many commercial french fries are coated with a weak sugar syrup so when they are fried they caramelize into a nice crispy crust. The sugar burns off, and there's no sweetness, but the crispness stays.

Whenever somebody says they don't like In-n-Out fries, I wonder what they do like in somebody else's fries.

--t

I guess I have to say that I am the only one that doesn't like In-n-Out. It's just fried hamburgers.
    You're not alone. I think their burgers are vile and NOT worth the wait. It should be called "In and Wait, and Wait, and Wait Some More for a Greasy Burger".

I tried them once in Vegas based on "rave reviews" that they weren't like a "normal" (whatever that means) fast food place. If they are better than most fast food places, then I REALLY don't want to eat fast food again, lol.

To be completely fair and level though, I rarely, if ever, eat fast food, so the grease may have been too much for me. Is all fast food that greasy?

The S. Ca place we always had to go to on our trips was Del Taco.
    Del Taco?? Really?
    Say the secret word.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus T Firefly View Post
    Del Taco?? Really?
    Yes, Del Taco, really. It comes from memories of being a kid living in S. Ca. It was a treat to go there. I really like their green burritos. We would go every trip. Every time we pass the Del Taco in Corona on the freeway I remember going there as a kid. My DSDs even remember it being special. Then they built them in AZ and they just became another fast food place. I now prefer Taco Bell but they are fine. I still prefer DT over InO. My biggest fast food memory of being a kid in S. Ca. was Carl's Jr. They had the best french fries, and then when they finally built them in AZ they changed their fries soon after. We didn't go out to eat very often so it was a big deal when we did. Really made the memories. Those 2 stuck out. The other place was La Fiesta in Corona, or maybe it was Riverside, I can't remember which. But I'd take a taco over a burger anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by tod View Post
    Not a knock, just an observation.

In-n-Out fries come into the store as potatoes. They are peeled, cut and fried without being altered.

Many commercial french fries are coated with a weak sugar syrup so when they are fried they caramelize into a nice crispy crust. The sugar burns off, and there's no sweetness, but the crispness stays.

Whenever somebody says they don't like In-n-Out fries, I wonder what they do like in somebody else's fries.

--t
    I know they come into the store as potatoes. I've watched them put them into the machine that cuts them. My complaints would be that they are usually really small pieces and they have no flavor. I would also say they are a little dry. I usually don't mind fries from most places but just really don't like theirs. Sonic's are actually really good. I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like their fries because anyone that I've talked to about their fries has agreed with me. Maybe it's because we didn't grow up with them so find them weird w/o the fond memories.

Yes, their fries are drier but then again you can't squeeze enough oil out of them to change the oil in your car like you can with McDonalds fries.

"Fries well" is how I order them at INO, with a 3X3 and a coke.

Another issue with using "Fresh" Potatoes is the starch content.

Frozen Fries are made when the starch content of the potatos are at the best, and are consistant.

On the other hand, Fresh potatoes have different starch percentages, so you can notice a difference in the In-n-Out fries depending on the time of the year. But I do love the In-n-Out fries, they are great, and much better (IMHO) than McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King or Carl's Jr.

Check out my photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

I love In n Out Burger. It's easily one of my very favorites. Luckily we have them here too so I don't have to make the special effort when I visit DL. lol

Sonic is nothing spectacular in my book. Their XL cheese coneys are decent but not worth the drive as far as I'm concerned. They're not really a new establishment as was mentioned earlier either. They've been around since 1953 and started as a Root Beer Stand (and Car hop) in OK called Top Hat. The name was changed to Sonic because when they started to expand they found out Top Hat was trademarked. That's probably more than you wanted to know, but oh well.

Either way, I suggest you make the trip to try In n Out. It's well worth it.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***
    Enjoying the sunshine and blue skies of Phoenix between Disney trips.

Blog Entries
    My nephew works at InO and they are tough to work for. He really enjoys it, but there are tests that they have to pass on smiling and courtesy. They pay their employees well too. He's 17 and will be making $11.50 ph by June. He's over $10 right now. They demand a lot of their employees too but they are rewarded. They got a certain number of points on something so they are taking the entire crew one night to go to some indoor racing thing.
    They have mystery shoppers who go in and evaluate how they handle their customers. They get points not just for smiling while waiting on the shopper, but how they do during the entire shoppers visit, including how they interact with all the other customers during the visit. Can't say how I know, but I know.... <g>
    Planning 3 trips at once...

I had a Tommy Burger on the way home today. Found one just off the 91 and the 15. Boy was it good. There is an In-N-Out right accross the street. Next time I'll buy a side of chili and pour it on the In-N-Out Burger to see what it tastes like

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Okay since everyone is off topic and saying So Cal foods...you need a Coffee Bean Ice Blend

It all started with a mouse, and Tom Sawyers Island. :::wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more:::

All I have to say is animal style fries...delicious...

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oohykitten View Post
    Okay since everyone is off topic and saying So Cal foods...you need a Coffee Bean Ice Blend
    Oh heck yeah! And they have Peppermint right now. Last Spring I learned a little trick - have them add some chocolate espresso beans to the peppermint iced blended.

Yer welcome.

Oh and if you do go to a CBTL at this time of year: Winter Dream Tea Latte with No Sugar Added powder. (The regular is too rich! ) hmmmmmmmm.

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Take me to my city by the bay... Mrs Mouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oohykitten View Post
    Now THIS I wish we had in Canada! If we had one here, I think it would prove to be quite the rival for Starbucks, at least for me. Yummy!
    All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt. ~ Charles Schulz

Quote Originally Posted by lordog View Post
    Wow, didn't know either were such a big deal. I am lucky that I have both Sonic and In N Out within a half mile of me

Just teasing. I am very lucky to have both hamburger places in the city that I live in. Sonic is really not that big of a deal. The idea of it is cute, but In N Out is great!

Sonic brought their Happy Hour back!!!

Routh 44 Cherry Limeades for $1.04!!!! Yum!!!