Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Swan and Dolphin Hotels versus Disney Hotels -- Pros and Cons?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Swan and Dolphin Hotels versus Disney Hotels -- Pros and Cons?

On my next visit to WDW, I am planning to splurge a bit and would like to stay at a Disney Deluxe hotel. I have previously stayed at All Stars and Coronado but really want to go to the next level on my next visit. I've been checking out the Swan and Dolphin Hotels. I know these are not Disney run hotels but they are on Disney property and they are close to EPCOT my favorite park.

Are there any pros and cons to staying in these hotels as compared to Disney Hotels? Would I be better off with a Disney hotel? Thanks.

1st Official Riders on Nemo!!
    Blog Entries

We stayed at the Dolphin last December. It has great location and great transportation(boats). Did not really care for the decor, service or the fact that it is not at all Disney themed. Really the only other plusses to me are: the rate is usually better than other deluxe resorts and the beds are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Still probably not enough for me to stay there again unless all of WDW is sold out.

I was in the Magic Kingdom, now I'm in the Carribbean. You get something really wicked, when you spend an E-Ticket! ~The Vandals "Pirates Life"
    READ THE ABOMINABLE BLOG HERE ON MOUSEPLANET.....just click on the blog entry link over there on your left!

still romantic at heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Abominable View Post
    We stayed at the Dolphin last December. It has great location and great transportation(boats). Did not really care for the decor, service or the fact that it is not at all Disney themed. Really the only other plusses to me are: the rate is usually better than other deluxe resorts and the beds are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Still probably not enough for me to stay there again unless all of WDW is sold out.
    I could have posted this almost word for word, only our stay was last Oct.
    an additional plus would be the very nice pool area shared by the hotels. but a minus is that it is a very long walk.
    other things on the minus side would be the restaurants tend to be over priced IMHO even for being on Disney property.
    you can't have purchases shipped to your room or have in park charging privileges
    and, I don't think you can take advantage of the EMH (could be wrong on this one, as we never really use it)
    Grateful for all God has done for me, and for having Wfoxx by my side.

1st Official Riders on Nemo!!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by efoxx View Post
    I could have posted this almost word for word, only our stay was last Oct.
    an additional plus would be the very nice pool area shared by the hotels. but a minus is that it is a very long walk.
    other things on the minus side would be the restaurants tend to be over priced IMHO even for being on Disney property.
    you can't have purchases shipped to your room or have in park charging privileges
    and, I don't think you can take advantage of the EMH (could be wrong on this one, as we never really use it)
    You actually can take advantage of Extra Magic Hours....but I still don't like it. Except for those beds!!!!
    I was in the Magic Kingdom, now I'm in the Carribbean. You get something really wicked, when you spend an E-Ticket! ~The Vandals "Pirates Life"
    READ THE ABOMINABLE BLOG HERE ON MOUSEPLANET.....just click on the blog entry link over there on your left!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I also don't think the Swan and Dolphin participate in DME.

Swan/Dolphin Pros:
    - Great location (but the BW and YC/BC are equally good)
    - Ability to earn/redeem Starwood Preferred Guest points
    - Upgrades for Starwood gold and platinum members
    - Cheaper than Disney deluxe resorts
    - Outstanding on-site restaurants (and worth their cost)

Swan/Dolphin cons:
    - No magic compared to "real" Disney deluxe resorts
    - Often swamped with convention attendees
    - Cannot charge property-wide to your room
    - Cannot have purchases sent back to your resort
    - Smallish rooms, worn-out furnishings, paper-thin walls

My two cents is that it would be better for you to stay at a Disney deluxe such as the Boardwalk for your first step up to that level of luxury. But if you choose the Swan/Dolphin you'll still probably enjoy your stay.

Rocket Scientist/Future Imagineer
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", Alan Kay
    Come join the Pleasure Island Lover's Club!