Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Brown Derby for dinner?

Brown Derby for dinner?

Just curious to hear from anyone who has been to the Brown Derby lately..how was it? I really wanted 50's Prime Time for DH's birthday dinner, but nothing available, so we are doing Brown Derby instead. We are not one for fancy schmancy food, we saw a menu from another site and didn't really like what we saw. I called Disney Dining and the CM I spoke with said that must be an old menu. Soooo, just looking for other's experience. Thanks!

1981, 1994, 2005, 2006, Feb 2007, Mar 2007, May2007, Labor Day Weekend 2007
    Planning for November 2007!

2. # ADS

We liked the food actually. I don't know what your used to eating. But they have a variety. If you have kids they most likely won't be thrilled though. Ours hated it. But for just adults I think you'll be very happy.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've eaten there a couple of times and enjoyed it. Once the service was a little lacking (got my before dinner cocktail after my salad had arrived, wine with entree was quite a bit later, too), but the food was pretty good. One time I had the gazpacho and it was very very tasty, not like the "tomato juice with chunks" that some restaurants tend to serve.

my wife and i both love the brown derby, but it is nothing like the 50s prime time 9which we also love) in terms of the food and atmosphere. if you don;t like fancy then skip the brown derby and pick another place. we love getting the brown derby with the fantasmic seating package - saves a wait in a line. the food at the brown derby is much more refined and "high-end' as compared to the comfort food cuisine at the 50s which is good but no where near as nice as the brown derby.

why did you want 50s? that might help us pick another place.

We plan on being in MGM for the evening and thought 50's would be a fun place for DH's bday dinner. We are going to be in AK earlier in the day, wondering if we should do lunch at rainforest instead of dinner at the Derby. We like fun more than fancy.

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Rainforest is cool if you've never eaten there. The theming is over the top. IF you are looking for good counter service rather than spending time for another sit-down, table service, try Flame Tree BBQ. I wish I could tell you to go to Tusker House, but it's turning over into a character buffet.

Speaking of which, depending on when you're going, you could go that way!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

I have eaten at the BD a few times and the food was always very good. I ate once at the Rainforest Cafe and it was not very good. Have you tried the SciFi? I found the food to be decent enough and it was a fun setting. My DD18 loves the grapefruit cake at the BD - when she was at MGM during her senior class trip, she made a stop at the BD and asked for a table just so she could order the cake (and they said 'yes'!)

Disneyland- 7/72, 7/75, 1/86
    WDW - 1/77, 1/78, 1/79, 2/80, 2/81 (off site)
    WDW - 1/82, 1/83, 1/84 Cont, 1/87 Poly, 4/97 o/s
    WDW - 11/00, 1/05, 12/05, 1/07, 6/07, 1/09, 10/10, 10/11, 10/13 Polynesian

Problem solved-a little flexibility goes a long way! I decided we would change our park itinerary if 50's had an opening for lunch-the did! So I cancelled the BD and booked 50's for lunch. We usually do all CS and one TS per trip, since it is DH's Bday-I really wanted to do the TS that day so I could order a cake and do the whole " bday thing". I am excited, I think 50's will be a fun bday celebration!

Sounds like your problem is certainly solved. Just wanted to say that The Hollywood Brown Derby is my FAVORITE restaurant in all of WDW so far. Service was top-notch, and the food was fabulous!

==Wendi==
    2007 WDW @ AKL ~ 2006 WDW @ AKL ~ 2005 WDW @ Pop ~ DLR Too Many Times To Count!

Not sure now about the Brown Derby

We have reservations for BD for this coming trip, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts. I saw some unfavorable reviews from this year on another web site. It takes 2 tbl service credits on the meal plan. My daughter (12) picked the restaurant for the atmosphere. She wants to see a replica of the place where Lucy Ricardo meets Bill Holden in "I Love Lucy".

Another issue is that our reservations are for the only night during our stay that Animal Kingdom has extra evening hours, and I would like to do that.

Problem, though, is that we are so close to our trip and restaurants are booked. Has anyone been successful getting seatings at tbl services this close to their trip?

Call everyday and check for cancellations.

Mama Melrose (Italian, but steak and normal items) is a good option too. Sort of a NYC Little Italy atmosphere, food is very good, and only 1 TS credit.
    We ate there two weeks ago, IMO food quality and preparation was on par with Brown Derby, but not as fussy.

The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
    Another issue is that our reservations are for the only night during our stay that Animal Kingdom has extra evening hours, and I would like to do that.

Problem, though, is that we are so close to our trip and restaurants are booked. Has anyone been successful getting seatings at tbl services this close to their trip?
    Given the reason your daughter picked the Brown Derby, she might be a little disappointed. It has cool drawings of stars on the walls, but other than that, it's a fairly un-remarkable restaurant. Nice, but not all that 'different'.

You might want to ask your daughter which is more important to her, Brown Derby or evening hours at AK. (And I'd say build up the evening hours if that's what you really want to do).

As far as getting a TS reservation 2 weeks out, the easist way is to be super flexible on location and time. Where do you plan on being in the late afternoon? Would you consider doing Boma (1 credit) after the animal kingdom closes? Or Jiko (2 credits)? They're both at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, so a fairly short bus trip from the park. Or if you're going to be at a different park BEFORE the Evening EMH at AK, what about eating an early dinner there at a 'less popular' restaurant? You might even be able to get a Brown Derby seating earlier. Do a heavier breakfast, super light lunch/snack (for that sort of thing, I like to share something), and then early dinner - and if necessary a snack in the Animal Kingdom.

You could also just do a dessert only at Brown Derby and pay out of pocket. That gets your daughter to see the inside, but doesn't 'cost' you 2 TS credits each!
    Cathy