Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Safari Tour for Concierge Guests

Safari Tour for Concierge Guests

Greeting, I understand that the Early Kilimajaro Safari si for Concierge Guests at the AKL... is there any to join that group without being at the Animal Kingdom,,, I love that Safari, and ride multiple times on each trip at different times of the day,,, But this opportunity would be excellent,,, Anyone done it ?? ?? thank you ,,, Mark

2. # ADS

1st Official Riders on Nemo!!
    Blog Entries

We went on it 2 years ago and it was outstanding. The very slow version of the safari makes numerous stops for pictures and it is in the morning, so the animals are very active. We even finished up with a great breakfast at Tusker House. That all being said, when we went, I did all the research I could and I found that there was no other way to do it than by being a concierge guest at AKL.

I was in the Magic Kingdom, now I'm in the Carribbean. You get something really wicked, when you spend an E-Ticket! ~The Vandals "Pirates Life"
    READ THE ABOMINABLE BLOG HERE ON MOUSEPLANET.....just click on the blog entry link over there on your left!

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To add to that, I believe the sunrise safari is also an additional cost on top of being a concierge guest at AKL.

I would love to do this myself some day...

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Blue Ball Go Down The Hole

and to add to that, there are additional photo safaris at 10 am and 1 pm open to club/concierge level guests at any resort.

and you only need to be concierge the night before.

StitchKingdom.com - Home to the Disney Acronym Decoder, Definitive Guides to PhotoPass, Kidcot, Planet Watch and more
    Get a customized Refurb Schedule + Alerts with ReSearch!
    Follow on Twitter

Oh...that is my dream - to be able to spend just one night at their concierge level to take advantage of that tour - I saw it on the Travel Channel, and it looked awesome!

So for curiousity sake (not that it will be happening anytime soon ) - approx. how much is a room on their concierge level and what is the additional cost for the safari tour - and breakfast is included, right?? What time does it generally go out - I know it is VERY early!! That would be our other problem...we are not early risers!!

1st Official Riders on Nemo!!
    Blog Entries

Well I think the room went for around 550. Breakfast was included and I think we paid an additional 60.00 per person for the safari. We met in the little lounge next to the frontdesk at 6:00 in the morning when we went.

I was in the Magic Kingdom, now I'm in the Carribbean. You get something really wicked, when you spend an E-Ticket! ~The Vandals "Pirates Life"
    READ THE ABOMINABLE BLOG HERE ON MOUSEPLANET.....just click on the blog entry link over there on your left!

My wife and I are not early risers either, so we did the Wanyama (afternoon) Safari, which included a dinner specially prepared by the chef with wine tastings in Jiko. It was incredible!

Rocket Scientist/Future Imagineer
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", Alan Kay
    Come join the Pleasure Island Lover's Club!

We just bought into the AKV, so I hope stay in a Concierge villa and go the tour! Yeah!

WOW!! Not cheap, but I am sure it is worth it, at least for one night.

So is the afternoon one private as well? That one sounds pretty cool too with the dinner and wine

I guess I better start saving!!!!!!!!

yes, if you go on the safari around those times, you'll probably see the vehicles for the mid-day safaris. they're covered trucks with windows and they tend to go off the paths a bit so they can also stop. i've seen them parked by pride rock for example.

StitchKingdom.com - Home to the Disney Acronym Decoder, Definitive Guides to PhotoPass, Kidcot, Planet Watch and more
    Follow on Twitter

I wish they would make something like this available for non-concierge guests.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Ain't that the truth...
    It just does not seem worth it to pay extra for the concierge room then have to shell out $60 per person to do the safari. Sure, it includes Breakfast and the like, but for a family of 4, you are talking about a huge premium.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

you can do a special safari as part of a grand gathering

Follow on Twitter

So I was under the impression that the views from the "concierge level" were much better than those for the other guests, as far as seeing the animals - is this true?? I thought that was also one of the perks about staying on that level.

i don't see how they would be. i had a 1st floor savanna view with balcony. the only difference is you'd be higher up which only might make a difference with giraffes but they can't get that close to you anyway.

Follow on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    I'm very glad that they don't. Actually, I take that back--they already do something like this for non-concierge guests and it's called Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Disney provides a phenomenal experience for all their guests, from the ones staying at the All-Star to the ones staying in the biggest suite at the Grand Floridian. That baseline experience should never change. But Disney absolutely should and has to continue offering more premium experiences for higher-revenue guests. There are people out there who do not see a concierge room as a financial burden, and who do not see a nominal additional charge for a special safari to be outlandish. Disney would be silly to turn their backs on those sources of revenue.

Wow. Yeah, too bad I'm poor.

Wishes he could be watching Wishes. RunninDisney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I'm very glad that they don't. Actually, I take that back--they already do something like this for non-concierge guests and it's called Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Disney provides a phenomenal experience for all their guests, from the ones staying at the All-Star to the ones staying in the biggest suite at the Grand Floridian. That baseline experience should never change. But Disney absolutely should and has to continue offering more premium experiences for higher-revenue guests. There are people out there who do not see a concierge room as a financial burden, and who do not see a nominal additional charge for a special safari to be outlandish. Disney would be silly to turn their backs on those sources of revenue.
    Yes, you must keep the scrubs,such as myself, away from the concierge guests.
    Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
    -1 Corinthians 9:24

Blog Entries
    Ok, then using that logic... people who have to stay in a concierge room and pay an extra fee are getting ripped off because then they could do this as a part of a normal park entry fee.

In other words, the Sunrise Safari is different than the standard attraction because of the extra time and attention that is spent on those participating. That is why it makes it a desirable offering.

My 2 cents: If Disney wants to charge an extra fee for this - great. Go ahead and do so and then it can be treated like any other special tour that is offered to all guests, regardless of their host hotel or room class.

I don't know why some people are so upset that Disney offers more and/or better experiences for guests willing to pay for them. If you want to do a Sunrise or Wanyama Safari, then spring for a concierge room. Is it so difficult to understand this concept?

Blog Entries

Iceman, its not that it is a difficult concept to understand as it is just an opinion stated in such a way as to express the desire to do something like this and not have to shell out a ton of extra cash because I have to be an onsite guest staying in some of the most expensive rooms at a deluxe resort.

Lets put it this way... I do not know of any other offering within WDW that is limited to those with certain types of rooms. Thats my beef - the required room type and location. Heck, I dont even think I have to even be a hotel guest to rent out the Grand I for a cruise if I wanted to shell out that sort of cash.

Sure, it is Disney's choice to set their rules and they obviously are taking advantage of the demand. Thats a pure business decision and probably a good one at that when you look at the bottom line. But then again, Im not looking at it through the glasses of an accountant but one of a frequent guest of the resort. Two entirely different viewpoints.

I don't know why some people are so upset that Disney offers more and/or better experiences for guests willing to pay for them. If you want to do a Sunrise or Wanyama Safari, then spring for a concierge room. Is it so difficult to understand this concept?
    It is odd that you have to stay at concierge at that particular resort, in order to do the safari. Many people have invested upwards of 15K to join the DVC, which is basically deluxe level, and can't do the safari. A person could be staying at any other Deluxe resort,and can't do the safari. A person could pay for a whole block of rooms at a value resort, spending as much or more as a concierge guest on room(s) for the night, and not be able to do the safari. They may want to keep the groups small, which is fine, I also can't think of any other a la carte experience that requires you to be a guest at the hotel from which the activity is based. It's not just a matter of limiting an experience to those who "can" pay to stay at concierge level. A family may, effectively, also spend a premium to stay at a DVC resort, or to get more than one room at a less expensive resort, because they want or need the extra space. If people choose to spend their cash on special experiences rather than the room, why shouldn't they be able to do the safari.

OK, I understand that viewpoint. But when I was a concierge guest at the AKL I appreciated that only one other person went on the safari with my wife and I, leading to a very personalized experience. If this thing was opened up to all concierge guests at all resorts, or anyone willing to shell out the cash, they would either have to ratchet up the price substantially to keep attendance down or dilute the experience by having too many people participate.

And I can't think of a perfect parallel, but Disney does offer other special experiences limited to guests who fall into specific categories. AP come to mind--there are sometimes exclusive events that even the highest-revenue person with a park-hopper simply cannot attend. Or think about pools or concierge lounges themselves, which are limited only to guests of specific resorts. Like I said, not perfect analogies but I do think Disney does some limited segmentation to maintain at least the appearance of exclusivity to certain activities.

Duplicate post.

Last edited by Iceman; 07-18-2007 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Web gremlin.

OK, I understand that viewpoint. But when I was a concierge guest at the AKL I appreciated that only one other person went on the safari with my wife and I, leading to a very personalized experience. If this thing was opened up to all concierge guests at all resorts, or anyone willing to shell out the cash, they would either have to ratchet up the price substantially to keep attendance down or dilute the experience by having too many people participate.

And I can't think of a perfect parallel, but Disney does offer other special experiences limited to guests who fall into specific categories. AP come to mind--there are sometimes exclusive events that even the highest-revenue person with a park-hopper simply cannot attend. Or think about pools or concierge lounges themselves, which are limited only to guests of specific resorts. Like I said, not perfect analogies but I do think Disney does some limited segmentation to maintain at least the appearance of exclusivity to certain activities.
    I don't think it is really a business decision, because I doubt if the ability or availability of a tour would be a deciding factor in going to Disney or deciding to stay at a particular resort. Guest "A" spends x amount to stay concierge(which they probably would anyway, for the perks as a whole), and then the $60 extra for the tour. Guest "B' stays somewhere else (which they would anyway and pays for the value, moderate, or deluxe room of their choice), and pays the $60 extra for the tour. Disney nets out the same, per guest, unless someone would pay for the premium room, only to take the tour, in which case it costing a lot more than $60 a head. Now, if the interest is in keeping the tour groups small, that's fine. Limit it to, say 6 people, and/or limit by age, the same as many tours do. It might be a reasonable thing to follow the example of the DVC resorts, and, essentially, give "first dibs" to guests at the AKL, or even concierge guests at the AKL. As a DVC owner owner I can make a reservation at my home resort 11 months ahead of time, and I can try to reserve at any other DVC resort 7 months ahead of time-you know you have "first dibs" at the particular resort which you bought into as your home resort, but are not precluded from using your points at other resorts, based on availability. Using that model, the "preferred" guests can reserve, say 180 days ahead of time. If the tour is not filled, say two weeks before the date, it is open to other guests to reserve. This would preserve it as an premium level experience, but other people have a chance to participate, and it would actually be more cost-effective for Disney, knowing they would probably always get 6 people per tour.