Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: EPCOT Sign and Arm Coming Down [Including Photos][Merged]

Mousse Master

I say just add 2 giant metal ears to spaceship earth and get it over with. I mean who wouldn't want a ginormous mickey head sitting in the front of EPCOT?

...And while they are at it, why not add a 500 foot waving mickey mouse next to the Disney World archway on world drive?

Check out our last trip report Here!
    Got "Shocolate Mousssse" ? CLICK HERE!

2. # ADS

nice idea!!!

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

My problem with the whole hat and wand and birthday cake thing is that they have to take away a classic icon, or turn it into something cartoony. Spaceship Earth is such a majestic piece of architecture, unique in the world (not just the World), and the wand for me has always taken away from that majesty. The cake was really an incredible piece of clever engineering, but again it replaced the statuesque centerpiece of the Magic Kingdom with a cartoon. And I don't think most people hate the hat as much as they hate the placement of it. There's plenty of room outside the main gate, like over by where you get on the water taxis. But to put it front and center at the end of Hollywood Blvd. totally takes away from the beauty of the Chinese Theater, an icon which perfectly fits in with its surroundings. The hat is just a big cartoon element plopped down with very little thought for how it affects its surroundings.

Good riddance to the wand!!!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Mousse Master

And while we're on the subject....It's clearly sorcerer Mickey's arm right? Now I havent watched Fantasia in a while, but didn't mickey just use his hands and the hat? Where did the wand ever come from anyway??? I mean tinkerbell had a wand on the w.w.o.d. intro... the fairy godmother had a wand... the 3 fairies had wands. When did mickey ever have a wand?

Check out our last trip report Here!
    Got "Shocolate Mousssse" ? CLICK HERE!

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

just saw this thread... whoo hoo!!

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Well maybe Mickey wanted a wand - he had a secret longing for one!!

California Dreamin

Woohoo

Well actually, I never really had any huge problem with the hand, but I like the original version allot more, just like almost every other ride/attraction thats ever been changed.

futurecm21

"Oh, that's real creative! What do you call your foot, new hand?"

-Groundskeeper Willie

Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post

Argh! i really don't like that! i HATE pink! (even though i'm a girl)

MOST. AWESOME. RESTORATION. EVARRRR..

Wow!! I just glanced at the Orlando Sentinel's website and saw a "blog" post with the words "OT missing from Epcot".. click on the picture.. is that.. do my eyes deceive me.. it is!! It's a CRANE!! Taking down letters from that awful show destroying monstrosity!! HOORAY!!!

HAPPY DAYS!

From the first time I saw Spaceship Earth in '83 I thought it was the perfect opening architecture for an experience in futurism, wonder, exploration. It was this unique shape, and the size, the size of it! I had never seen anything like it. Walking under the huge pylons supporting it with the wind rushing through you thought wow, this is Epcot!

Looking forward to welcoming back the ride, too. I was simply floored the last time I was on, the extent of the legal warnings that had to be jammed in due to people not listening to simple instructions. Gah.. the pre show, riding up into the stars, gone. Keeping my fingers crossed for some ride vehicle refurbishment (*klunk, whirr, klunk klunk*) and some badly needed upkeep!

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
    Wow!! I just glanced at the Orlando Sentinel's website and saw a "blog" post with the words "OT missing from Epcot".. click on the picture.. is that.. do my eyes deceive me.. it is!! It's a CRANE!! Taking down letters from that awful show destroying monstrosity!!
    I'd love to see a link to that article, I couldn't find it on orlandosentinel.com.
    --
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

Blue Ball Go Down The Hole
    StitchKingdom.com - Home to the Disney Acronym Decoder, Definitive Guides to PhotoPass, Kidcot, Planet Watch and more
    Get a customized Refurb Schedule + Alerts with ReSearch!
    Follow on Twitter

- NOooooooooooooooo!!!!

The "wand" is held by a cartoonish hand and significantly diminishes what is otherwise a breathtaking piece of American architecture. The sphere is a widely recognized symbol and it doesn't need a label.

It's the equivalent of putting the name "St. Louis" in large bright fluorescent neon letters on top of the Gateway Arch.

Whats the Gateway arch?

Spaceship Earth Construction Images

Just got back from Disney and thought you guys might like to see the progress on the Mickey wand dismantling. I have mixed feelings as well, but it was interesting to see the progress. The pics could have been better, but it was Thursday evening right before Illuminations...

http://www.stsweb.com/images/disney/...rth_front2.JPG

http://www.stsweb.com/images/disney/...rth_front1.JPG

http://www.stsweb.com/images/disney/spaceearth_back.JPG

self proclaimed mouse junkie!

Wow, how cool to see! Thanks Fletch!

WDW 1977, 1983, POR 2000, CBR 2007, ASM Mar 09

Thanks or the pics Fletch, but I am bummed...On our first trip, this was the 1st thing our DS spotted, and yelled out "Mickey's magic ball!" I for one (and I know this is not Disney PC) will miss the wand and letters.

Better keep your eye on me...I'll go coastal on ya....

kidd, nice analogy!

Kel, have you ever seen that big arch over St. Louis? That's the Gateway Arch. Look it up if you need to.

- James Taylor

Disney World & Star Wars fan Chicago Wookiee's Avatar

I would rather "the hat" left but this will do for now.

Thanks for the pictures. I hope we see more before it's all the way down.

Anthony w/ 16 year old son. Most recent visits Oct 2009 Pop, 2008 Contemporary, and June 2007 at POR & Pop.
    "I'd say it's been my biggest problem all my life... it's money. It takes a lot of money to make these dreams come true." Walt Disney

I am soooo glad this thing is coming down! I have long said the Epcot ball can stand on it's own, you don't need a sign proclaiming it! And I HATE the hat or the BAH, as some people call it! I loved the Chinese theater view and the entering MGM and feeling like you are actually in old time Hollywood. I tell you what, that hat is no weenie for me! I run away, far far away from it!

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo happy this is coming down. I thought it was the worst pairing from the moment they put it up (was that in 1999?) and when I was there again this past March it made me cringe when I saw it again. Leave Epcot's park symbol alone for good!!!

Next thing we know there will be a wand or a hat or ears on the Animal Kingdom tree!

Eventhough I'm glad this is coming down, I am happy I got a family photo in front of it in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    Whats the Gateway arch?
    The Gateway arch is a massive steel archway in St. Louis, Missouri built to commemorate western expansion following the Louisana Purchase. The city was the starting point for the Lewis & Clark expedition that was charged with exploring and mapping out the newly acquired territory and is often referred to as the "Gateway to the West."

National Park website

Now, if they would stop using the ball as a billboard at night. (I'm all for sponserships and naming rights, but this is far tackier than the wand. Heresy, I know.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohthatjeff View Post
    Now, if they would stop using the ball as a billboard at night. (I'm all for sponserships and naming rights, but this is far tackier than the wand. Heresy, I know.)
    I liked the olden days when there used to be a revolving world map as you walked out from IllumiNations. I guess for me the Siemens logo is no big thing, as long as they take it off quickly.
    - James Taylor

I could not even bring myself to look at the photos, it's just tooooooo much