Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: I need lots of advice [Walt Disney World vs. Disneyland]

I need lots of advice [Walt Disney World vs. Disneyland]

Hi, I'm new to this board I'm a huge fan of DisneyWorld but this is my first time to Disneyland, I need all the help I can get. What are the major difference bewteen the two parks besides the different lands. How many days do plan for the two parks??
    Are ADR majorly as important as they are in Disney World, what are the hotels like onsite?? I have a two and three years anything special they might like to go to that Disneyworld doesn't offer

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Happygirl78us View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this board I'm a huge fan of DisneyWorld but this is my first time to Disneyland, I need all the help I can get. What are the major difference bewteen the two parks besides the different lands. How many days do plan for the two parks??
    Are ADR majorly as important as they are in Disney World, what are the hotels like onsite?? I have a two and three years anything special they might like to go to that Disneyworld doesn't offer
    Wow, a lot of very good questions here!

First off- the differences: Obviously WDW has much more than DLR and DCA. The non-MK attractions that exist in WDW are Soarin' and ToT and Tough to be a Bug. In the MK, DLR has the Indiana Jones Adventure, which is NOT TO BE MISSED. Technology identical to Dinosaur at WDW, theme obviously different. Then at DLR there are the Casey Jr. Train and Storybook Land, Buzz Lightyear is slightly different, there is no longer a peoplemover (Tomorrowland Transit Authority) at DLR . Pirates is actually longer at DLR by a few minutes. And of course, there's Sleeping Beauty's Castle rather than Cinderella's.

Definitely take the little ones on the Case Jr. Train. They'll really like that a lot. With the little ones it's hard to say on how much time. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer that better that has traveled with children. I will say that we spent 2.5 days in the park (but there were two of us in our mid-twenties) and we got done everything we wanted, including meals.

SEGUE!!!

Dining reservations are really only super important if they are going to be locked into your schedule and if you are going at very busy times of the year (this is only my opinion and is only from one single trip observation). But there are not as many signature places to eat at at DLR as there are at WDW. I you want to go to one of the signature places (Blue Bayou, Napa Rose, etc) than priority seating is a MUST.

There are only three hotels versus the 5,934 that WDW has. You can walk from all three hotels to the parks, unlike at WDW. There are however off-property hotels that are actually CLOSER to the main entrance than the Disney hotels. You can search on this site for the hotels across from the maingate threads and check those out.

Hope all that helps! Feel free to PM me wth any more questions if you have them!

Cool Runnings!
    Doc
    "All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson

I would plan on a minimum of 3 to4 days to enjoy both parks. There is a lot to do but it's not spread out anything like Disney World. In other words, you won't be riding a bus to each park. They're both side by side within walking distance. The monorail in Disneyland is actually an attraction that takes you on a ride through the inside of Disneyland park, it's not a required mode of transportation. You will find that Disneyland offers a few more kid friendly attractions not available in Disney World. For example, Disneyland has Roger Rabbit(Toon Town), Mr. Toad(Fantasyland), Alice in Wonderland(Fantasyland), Casey's Train(Fantasyland), Storybook Land(Fantasyland), Pirate's Lair(Old Tom Sawyer's Island), Pinnochio's Daring Adventure(Fantasyland), Tarzan's Treehouse(Adventureland), and most important-the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage opening June 11. I've always considered Disneyland much more child friendly due to less walking, no humidity, and virtually no flying insects. I would definitely make dining reservations for Blue Bayou(dinner) and Goofy's Kitchen Character breakfast in the Disneyland Hotel. If your budget allows, I would stay in Disney's Grand Californian hotel. My second choice would be the Disneyland Hotel. I've found the best rates for Disney hotels available at www.getawaytoday.com by far. Enjoy your trip!

No one said that much about DCA. My granddaughter who will be two in June loves Fantasyland in DL but she also loves It's a bugs life and monsters ink, playhouse disney and Ariel's Grotto a must eat at with the little ones, just like Goovy's kitchen, especially if they are girls. There are also a lot of water play activies in the DCA park that she loves, at the tug boat and in bugs life. I can tell you after next week about DCH, we will be using that hotel next week due to the convinence of walking back to the room for naps and changing cloths, also because my granddaughter loves to swim and play in water and the pool there looks perfect for her. We will be spending 7 days in the parks, I would guess that with two small ones you could do it all in three days, we can but if you want it a relaxing time and time for their naps and early bed so they are not cranky, I like to spend 4 days, that is a very comfortable pace for a 2 year old. Others may be able to answer other things better for you but I hoped I helped a little with the pace and what 2 year olds would like. We may be in your shoes in a few months, my daughter got excepted to work and go to school in WDW and I may go down to see her with the baby in a few months, since she will leave her with me for the 5 months, and she will miss her so much.

I don't know if they have "Turtle Talk" with Crush at DW, but you have to go see it at DCA. My nephews loved it. The kids sit around a screen and a turtle swims down and holds a conversation with them. Not a fake conversation, either. He is actually interacting. Amazing, and as much fun for adults to watch as for kids to share. Also not to miss: Pirates and Tiki Room. I understand they are quite different at WDW. Storybook land and Casey Jr. are not to be missed attractions for the under 5 set. Personally, I love storybook land even and I'm over 40. And take at least one trip on the train all the way through the park. There is a wonderful diorama comparing the grand canyon now and what it might have looked like when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I remember that as a favorite when I was little. The dinosaurs are a bit scary, though, so make sure you prepare the little ones. My nephews love the Pooh ride, although it bores me to tears. Mostly just bright neon rooms with nothing really happening, but kids love it. Watch out for Snow White and Mr. Toad, though. Little kids can't always tell the difference between real and fantasy, and those rides have traumatized generations of youth. I love them, but I didn't when I was little. You know your kids tolerance levels.

Dining is very different. You do need reservations at places like Blue Bayou, but it's not like Epcot, where there are numerous restaurants. I generally plan 3 days between the parks, and move freely between parks. This is a leisurely pace, but we generally travel in the off season, so you can do a lot in 3 days. With little kids, I strongly recommend that you stay on-site or at a very near hotel (there are some off-site hotels that are closer than on-site ones) so that you can go back and swim and rest in the afternoons. All day at DL is a lot for little kids. It's not as big as DW, so you're going to be in crowds a lot more. DL is more intense Disney, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Happygirl78us View Post

Disney World vs. Disneyland

Hi, everyone!

I'm considering an October trip to someplace Disney, and since I only have a long weekend to work with, I was thinking that maybe visiting Disneyland for the first time might be a good idea, because it's smaller. I went on the website, and I was VERY confused! Having visited WDW so many times, I'm used to transportation when you stay onsite, I'm used to shuttle service, I'm used to the dining plan and all of that ... so can someone help me with what's different? How do you plan for a disneyland trip versus a WDW visit? It seems like staying onsite doesn't have the same benefits at Disneyland. Also, there are two parks, right? So is the park hopper really worth it? Is the dining plan worth it at Disneyland? Do I need to rent a car? Help!

I think visiting DL for a long weekend sounds great. The only Disney transportation at DL is the shuttle from the parking lot and the monorail from near the DL hotel to Tomorrowland in DL. You just don't need it at DLR, everything is easily walkable -- hotels, downtown Disney, CA, and DL. I agree that it's not as critical to stay onsite at DL. It's really an imperative for us at WDW, but at DL if the budget doesn't allow (there is no value resort option an DL) we've had great trips staying at Howard Johnson's across the street. Having said that, if the budget does allow we LOVE staying at one of the Disney hotels.

I'm not sure how ticket pricing works there these days, but we definitely like park hoppers there because it's such an easy stroll across the esplanade to get from DL to CA.

Is there a dining plan at DL??? DL just doesn't have the same number of sitdowns that WDW has.

Look over at the DL forum and you'll get lots of info. Another idea is to look up DL on Google Earth, that'll give you a feel for how close together everything is. Just like DL regulars are suprised at how huge WDW is, you'll likely be surprised how compact DLR is.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

RM3, I moved your thread over here since I think the DLR regulars would be able to give you better insight as to how things work for those parks.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

DLR is perfect for a long weekend. The last five visits to DLR I have not rented a car. The Disneyland express from LAX or Orange County has been great. http://anaheimsightseeing.com/anaheimairport/ There is a $3 coupon at the bottom of their web page making a round trip $25 from LAX. If you plan for an early morning arrival (10 am or earlier) the bus is relatively empty, meaning less stops at destination hotels. A couple trips ago, my wife and I were the only ones on the bus! Be sure to ride Indiana Jones!

Bewaaare the grooove... bigrockstar's Avatar

Go for the Park Hopper... overall it's a better deal. Here's why:

2 single-day theme-park tickets each for 2 people: $252

2 2-day park hopper tickets: $244
    (prices as of today)

I think you would be able to spend a full day at DLR, but CA is quite a bit smaller, and you may end up wishing to return to DL by the afternoon. The park hopper affords you that option. Plus, you get the added bonus of one early entry with each park hopper. This is great if you don't mind getting up a little early to beat some of the crowds to a popular attraction (I would recommend going to Peter Pan's Flight because there are no fastpasses, and it is not unusual to encounter an hour-long wait there. Of course, this advice applies only if you like the old-fashioned dark rides). Make sure to call in your reservations to the Blue Bayou as soon as your travel plans are finalized... it's not to be missed! Good luck!

Ok, why does she even HAVE that lever?"-Kuzco

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

DL and WDW are different experiences. I think for a long weekend especially, DL is a great choice.

You can EASILY stay offsite. I'm another Howard Johnson's fan, and the walk from there to the gates is maybe a little more than from the farthest bus stop to the gates at Epcot, but not a huge amount more! Mousesavers has discount information for there as well - plus there are other hotels closer. Another indication of how close it is -I was hearing some distinctive music every once in a while - too often to be the parade. It was the Observatron (or whatever it's called) outside Space Mountain.

The 'Dining Plan' at DL is pre-paid vouchers. They offer no savings - since they are for a $ amount (as I understand it from reading threads here) - and you don't get change back. You don't have the 180 day out reservation headache that you do at WDW, either.

Totally do Park Hoppers. From gate to gate, it's measured in yards! You go through the same bag check for both parks, so you don't even need to have your bag re-checked when you hop!

One decision you have to make at DL that you don't for WDW is what airport to fly into. I prefer Orange County (SNA) - and it's a $40ish cab ride away. There are a couple other smaller airports fairly close as well, and then LAX. If you can get a decent flight into SNA vs LAX, I'd HIGHLY recommend that.

Thanks everyone I'm not sure we are going to be going, we are having a heck of a time finding hotels that are in our price ranges

As far as hotel rates, go to www.getawaytoday.com and check the rates at the value resorts. You should find them less expensive than the All Star Resorts in Florida.

Thanks for everyone's responses! A lot of you have talked about hotels that are closer to DL than the Disney hotels ... can you provide me with names? Even any hotel that is within comfortable walking distance will do!

Also, I'm coming from the East coast -- it seems like the flights you can book through disney all have me making it to California late in the evening, which is no good if I want to enjoy the parks on the day we arrive! Does anybody know of any airlines that offer some sort of solution for this (i.e., overnight flights that arrive in the morning?)?

Also, what's the difference between the two parks? Can you compare them to WDW parks at all?

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You're going to have a tough time finding a red-eye flying West. If you're flying from a fairly major airport, you should be able to get a one-stop that gets you in some time in the early afternoon or so - but you have to leave at 5 or earlier.

I'll check out Travelocity, or Expedia (some sort of multi-airline search engine)to get general ideas of airlines that have reasonble times for me.

Disneyland is similar to the Magic Kingdom; DCA is probably closest to the Studios. That's a poorer fit - but a few shows, a few thrills, some kid-oriented stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rm3 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's responses! A lot of you have talked about hotels that are closer to DL than the Disney hotels ... can you provide me with names? Even any hotel that is within comfortable walking distance will do!
    There are quite a few. Depends on your likes. Favorite around MP is Candy Cane Inn. They have a shuttle, but are about a 10 min walk. www.candycaneinn.net

Desert Inn and Suites has large rooms, it is an older motel, breakfast leaves something to be desired, but is usually fairly cheap. 5 min walk www.anaheimdesertinn.com

Carousel Inn and Suites has nice rooms, usually good prices, 5 min walk www.carouselinnandsuites.com

Best Western Park Place Inn 5 min walk
    www.bestwestern.com

Hojos, another favorite, great rates, 10 minute walk, www.hojos-anaheim.com

On the shuttle:
    My personal favorite - Residence Inn Maingate, great rooms, excellent breakfast, right on the shuttle, easy to walk if needed (15 mins.)

Hilton, both Sheratons, Marriots
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by bigrockstar View Post
    Plus, you get the added bonus of one early entry with each park hopper.
    i am pretty sure that EE only attached to 3 day + parkhoppers - I don't think you get EE with a 2-day. But if EE is something you want to enjoy, then stay at one of the 3 resort hotels because resort guests get EE on each day that it is offered (currently that means Fri, Sat, Mon and Tues).

ON the other hand, thinking through this practically - if you are arriving on Saturday and only staying until Sunday, you likely won't be there early enough to use it. And if you are coming on friday, you would likely buy a 3-day parkhopper and then you've got access to the saturday EE anyway. still, something to consider.
    Last edited by Drince88; 05-30-2007 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Fixed code

Hello rm3-I fly to Disneyland from the East coast all the time and have no problem getting to California early enough to spend the day in the parks. I fly out of North Carolina airports such as Greensboro, Raleigh, and Charlotte. The flights depart around 6:00-7:00am and arrive in Orange County California(SNA) at 10:30am. Don't forget that California is in a different time zone, 3 hours earlier than the East coast. You can also find the same flight schedule times going into Los Angelos(LAX). We choose to fly into Orange County airport because it's only 16 miles from the park while Los Angelos is 45 miles away. I recommend www.delta.com as an airline for good flight schedules. Other choices include www.usairways.com and www.aa.com Hope this helps.

It really depends on you and what your priorities are. For me with the kids I really like staying right across the street. I find that taking the shuttle really adds a barrier to coming and going. We are not morning people so I like getting up in the morning, down some cereal we had in the hotel room and heading out to the park. Fifteen to twenty minutes from alarm to standing in line at the entry gates. If one of the kids forgot something or wants to get rid of a jacket, my wife and the gets go on a ride while I run back to the hotel. Im back before they are off. If we had to think about what we needed for the day and worry about forgetting something, well it would take us forever to get out the door. This way there is no worry and we just go. For me a hotel even five more minutes down the road would make that a lot harder. Also we like to go back to the hotel so the kids can rest one or even a couple of times throughout the day. Even if a shuttle ride is only 5 minutes, you have to wait for the shuttle, take it, then wait for another one to take back and a quick run back to the hotel can be 45 minutes to an hour rather than 10 or 15 minutes. But the hotels right across the street arent as nice so others would sacrifice that convenience for a nicer place. Neither approach is better than another except in how it matches your preference.

To find the hotel/motels that are nearby: Go to http://www.disneyland.com and at the top toward the right click on the "Maps" link. Then in the lower right of that click on "Good Neighbor Hotels". All the yellow dots are hotels. Put your curser over one and it will list the name. Look at blue oval on the map labeled "Disneyland Park". That is Disneyland. You can see DCA below this with an area shaded orange in between. This entrance to each park is in the center of this orange area. You go up to go into DL and down to go into DCA (up and down on the map). So the hotels to the right of this orange area are the closest ones. The Best Western Park Place and the Park Vue Inn are the absolute closest. But there are a lot up and down the road from there. Be aware that the blocks in Anaheim are huge. So places on the same block as the entrance might not be convenient walking distance.

For the best value, the Ramada Maingate Inn is my pick. I always stay there when I go and have always been happy. It's a short walk (5 - 10 mintues) to the front gate, the rooms are decent, and they have a kid friendly pool area. It's nothing fancy by any means, but considering the price (under $100 a night), the proximity to Disneyland, and a free (but limited) breakfast, it never lets me down.

They also have "deluxe rooms" available that you can upgrade to for an extra $5 or so per night if booking through Disney Travel. The deluxe room isn't much bigger than a standard room, but it is split into two seperate rooms, which can afford some much needed privacy when traveling with little ones.

GO MARINERS!!!!!

Yo ho Yo ho a pirates a life for me!