Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Other Fun Things for Toddlers

Where else?

We are planning a trip to DL over Christmas this year (since everyone has to travel, we thought we'd meet somewhere cool!). Anyhow, the husband and I are planning to take the kids a few days early and stay in the LA area before we meet up at DL with everyone.

He wants to do some non-Disney things. Frankly, I can't understand why - but lest he has me committed to a 12-step Disney program, I want to plan some really fun things we can do that DON'T include Disney. What else would you guys do in the area?

There are 4 of us - me, hubby, and 2 toddlers.

I lived in Long Beach for 5 years, so I have that area covered, but its been so long since I've been down there, I've forgotten what else might be fun - in December! (i.e., not really thinking the beach will be too fun...)

This and all of my posts are in the public domain. I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

2. # ADS

Disneyland Regular

The Getty Center is nice. The Griffith Observatory is too. 3rd street prominade. Fashion Island in Newport Beach has the largest real Christmas tree in the area. You might want to see if there are any Christmas festivals going on. I am thinking maybe a concert or a church service (Chrystal Cathedrial or the LA Catholic Cathedrial)

Blog Entries

I'm not sure when you left Long Beach -- but there's an aquarium there now. I keep wanting to check it out, but haven't made it that far yet.

There's also Universal Studios, and Universal City Walk (you can wander around City Walk -- shops & restaurants -- without going to the park itself).

Disneyland Regular

The Long Beach Aquarium is nice, and that whole bay area is much improved. You can do the wharf area (great Mexican restaurant there). They also have combo tickets with the Queen Mary and aquarium.

They just opened the aquarium before I left (1996), but I never got a chance to go there. That was definitely on my list.

Christmas festivals sound fun, too! I forgot that there is one block in Long Beach, right near Long Beach state, where all the houses decorate with lights - traffic is backed up for miles around the block! I hope they still do that.

We may have to tour campus (hey, I want them to go to college - never too early to start encouraging!), head to the aquarium and then do the lights at night.

This and all of my posts are in the public domain. I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Other Fun Things for Toddlers

Hi all -
    I posted this on the Disneyland thread, too, but thought I should ask the kid experts.

We're planning a trip over the holidays and we'll be splitting time between DL and doing other things in the area. For parents of toddlers/preschoolers, what would you recommend to do that is non-Disney. (BTW, I think the entire week in DL would be just perfect, but apparently, my husband wants to do something else... )

Anyhow, any ideas?

Los Angeles zoo?
    The beach? (not swimming, just walking)

Hmm, I've never been to the LA zoo, and my kids do LOVE the zoo. Plus, our zoo (San Francisco) no longer has elephants and I am sure they would love to see that. That is a definite possibility!

I am thinking we may do Legoland on the way down, too.

Are you driving down from SF? I highly recommend the Santa Barbara Zoo over the LA Zoo (never been to the SD zoo though.) Maybe a nice way to break up the drive?

Much prettier, and much closer to the animals. I took my DD to the LA Zoo last summer and she was way more interested in the birds flying around than the actual animal exhibits (since we couldn't see many animals.)

If you have a zoo membership (at any CA zoo, I think) you can get free or reduced admission at almost any other. I know LA and San Fran zoos are reciprocal. I bet Santa Barbara is too.

We'll be driving up from SF, and are definitely planning on making it a slow and fun trip. You know, stopping at Andersens for split pea soup and all of that kind of stuff.

We are members of the SF zoo - - so maybe we can do both Santa Barbara and LA?? Hmmm! That could be fun!

Hubby wants to do Legoland -I don't even know where it is! LOL!!

Legoland is in (near?) Carlsbad (north San Diego.)

I know that w/ an LA Zoo membership, you can get 1/2 off the SB Zoo. (And last time I went a month or so ago, they had elephants.)

Legoland is only about 1 hour south of DL.

We use to have membership at SF zoo also (3 yrs ago.) Now we have membership at Oakland zoo. But what happened to the elephants? Gees, we were there in Sept and thought that the elephants were in the back or something. Didn't know they were completely gone.

gloria

Widowed Mom to 3 (DS17)(DS15)(DD12)

Here's a list of the reciprocal zoos for a San Francisco zoo membership. We're members of another bay area zoo

http://www.sfzoo.org/support/reciprocal.htm

I heard they were moving the elephant from the LA zoo. They are building a new area for future elephants. There is actually a lot of construction going on at the zoo and it is slow going.

The the area around the zoo (not the zoo itself) was badly burnt during the Griffith Park Fire. I haven't had the heart to go there just yet, but I saw online that a few of the freeway offramps to the zoo are still closed as of today.

I really think you might have a better experience (this year anyway) if you skip the LA zoo and check out the one in Santa Barbara. That one is small and really charming.

I recently took my 2 1/2 year old to Adventure City, near Knotts Berry Farm and he had a blast. It is small, very toddler friendly and cheap to get in. I can't wait to take him there again.

Knott's has Camp Snoopy and if you want to save some money they have a discounted admission for I believe after 4pm. on nights they stay open late. If you are only going to be in the Snoopy area, you wont need a full day anyway .

Have fun!

They moved the elephants permanently out of San Francisco because they felt that the area they had for them was not adequate for the health and happiness of the elephants. I guess recent research suggests that elephants need to be in a herd, and they didn't have room for more than 2 elephants, so...

These suggestions are great!

Quote Originally Posted by HTanner View Post
    They moved the elephants permanently out of San Francisco because they felt that the area they had for them was not adequate for the health and happiness of the elephants. I guess recent research suggests that elephants need to be in a herd, and they didn't have room for more than 2 elephants, so...

These suggestions are great!
    I have been to the Oakland Zoo and the Honolulu Zoo where there are only 2 elephants each. So the plan is to remove all elephants from these zoos if there are only 2??!! Of course, it is only a suggestion..... Or maybe it is the size of the compound they are really looking at.

gloria
    Widowed Mom to 3 (DS17)(DS15)(DD12)

In downtown LA they have the california science center (kindof like the tech museum). Its a blast! For parents and kids. They have a whole area JUST for toddlers, where you cant even get in if you are over a certain age. 7, maybe. They also have fun stuff for parents too, and a new star wars exhibit, where they have the actual landspeeder and cool stuff like that. i highly reccomend it!

Go Giants! Black & Orange till I die.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    The Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana is near Disneyland AND one of the architects who helped design it is a mother and mother-in-law to two MP staff members who has also worked on Disney projects so you could have a SECRET Disney connection that DH won't even KNOW about.

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

OMG, if he found out there was a museum dedicated to Star Wars stuff, we'd never go anywhere else! LOL!!

As far as the elephants, I think it was the size of the paddock and the overall quality of their life, combined.

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    The Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana is near Disneyland AND one of the architects who helped design it is a mother and mother-in-law to two MP staff members who has also worked on Disney projects so you could have a SECRET Disney connection that DH won't even KNOW about.

Adrienne
    Can I "threadjack" for a moment...would you recommend this place for a 2 yo? I have been thinking of taking my DD there, but wasn't sure if there was enough for a 2yo to do (we are about an hour away w/o traffic...)