Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Debit/Check Cards/Credit Cards @ Disneyland?

Debit/Check Cards/Credit Cards @ Disneyland?

I am going to Disneyland next week and was wondering if the shops and restaurants accept debit or VISA cards? I am the type of person who uses my check card EVERYWHERE and loathe carrying cash. Should I get some cash from an ATM before going into the park? Are there any ATM's in the park? If not, can I buy Disney Dollars from any place inside the park? Should I just say, "Screw it" altogether and just go to the Disney Store in my local mall later this week and buy Disney Dollars? (I heard they sell them there.)

2. # ADS

You may need cash to purchase from some of the street carts to buy popcorn or churros, but otherwise I use my Disney Visa card at the restaurants and shops every chance I get.

"The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ABombbmoBA View Post
    I am going to Disneyland next week and was wondering if the shops and restaurants accept debit or VISA cards? I am the type of person who uses my check card EVERYWHERE and loathe carrying cash. Should I get some cash from an ATM before going into the park? Are there any ATM's in the park? If not, can I buy Disney Dollars from any place inside the park? Should I just say, "Screw it" altogether and just go to the Disney Store in my local mall later this week and buy Disney Dollars? (I heard they sell them there.)
    We are the same way. DONT use teh ATMs, they charge huge fees. Instead, go to the bank or one of the stores and purchase Disney Dollars. It is classified a "Gift card" and they don't charge fees. If you need cash for outside the park, you can change the Disney Dollars back to cash.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

If you're staying at one of the Disney hotels, they will issue you a type of credit card where you can charge pretty much everything to your room. (Food carts may be exempt?) You just need to carry ID. It's then all itemized and charged to your card at the end of your stay. Just keep track of your receipts so you're not totally blown away when you view the total!
    Have a wonderful trip.

I'm a big fan of disney dollars; as overseas visitors we have to pay currency conversion fees and big fees for using overseas bankteller machines; using a creditcard to purchase disneydollars means avoiding some of those charges. the only issue is that if you purchase DD with a creditcard, you can't cash any remaining dollars in as you leave the park (you can, apparently, if you pay cash).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emmah View Post
    the only issue is that if you purchase DD with a creditcard, you can't cash any remaining dollars in as you leave the park (you can, apparently, if you pay cash).
    Actually, you can, I've done it every visit. I just finish up in the Emporioum, tell them I am leaving and they change them no problem...
    Planning 3 trips at once...

We use our debit/check card every time we go. We do bring some cash along for the carts through out the park, but stores and other things are always purchased with our debit. We are, like you, the type that never carry cash on a normal basis. Debit is our friend!

If using the disney visa, remember that you get a 10% discount on purchases of $50 so try to do your shopping all at once. You also will get 2 free strollers a day, one free photo, & discount of restaurants (Disneyland Park: Rancho del Zocalo, Carnation Cafe and Redd Rockett's Pizza Port; in Disney's California Adventure Park: Pizza Oom Mow Mow, Wine Country Trattoria and The Vineyard Room; at Disneyland Resort Hotels: Granville's Steakhouse (from 6:00pm - 10pm only), Yamabuki and Disney's PCH Grill) besides racking up all those disney dollar rewards!

If you don't have the disney visa, remember AAA will get you discounts too! (Plaza Inn in Disneyland Wine Counry Trattoria in DCA Ariel's Grotto in DCA
    PCH Grill at Paradise Pier Hotel & Goofy's Kitchen at Disneyland Hotel)

Don't use the ATMS like Malcon10t said-just buy the disney dollars if you need cash to avoid any fees!

Wow, what kind of discounts do you receive at the park restuarants? Do these discounts kick in right away with a new card, or do you need to rack up points first?
    Since we are definitely eating at CC and Trattoria and renting strollers, wonder if its worth applying for one real quick?? Is there a visa discount at Goofy's Kitchen?
    -Amy

Well, I just applied and got approved for my Disney Visa - if anyone can tell me what discounts we get at restaurants I would really appreciate it!!

Last edited by mask41; 03-06-2007 at 02:00 PM.

mask41, I hope you shopped around and got a good perk for signing up. When we applied for ours, we got a $50 gift card but some were getting a one day ticket! We did not get the gift card until after we used the cc for the first time and then it took about 2 weeks I think.

You get 10% off the food bill at the restaurants I listed above. It may not see to be much but at least it covers the tax and it does add up. You can get 2 strollers each day-I love this perk although my kids are finally too big we used it almost everytime just so my dd could stay longer without all the walking. You just show your card and they do give you a receipt in case your stroller walks away, you can just get another. Each stroller is $7 or $8 a day so that is a good savings if you are there long enough. You also get one free photo if you go to CA to ariels grotto between 10-11:30, you get to meet characters, take pictures and then cash in the coupon for a photo when they are ready. People say they used the coupon for other photos too but we loved our private time with Mickey and always got them. Those are pretty pricey too so one free photo a day is over $10! Then when you shop, try and buy all your stuff together so you get 10% off your total but you must spend $50 (not very hard to do)!

Then you also get "points" or dollars that you can accrue and cash into a rewards card to use at Disneyland. If you use your card for everything like gas and groceries, it really adds up quick and each time we have gone, we have had at least one character meal paid for and they still gave us the AAA discount on top of that. We have even called from DL when the new points were posted and they transferred them right there and we went and spent them for breakfast. If you don't pay off your balance every month this is NOT the card for you though as I think the interest is really sky high!

We never had any trouble with this card but others said Chase put a hold on it and would not let them use it for some reason and when the angry customer called they said it was for protection?! I was happy with it but now that we are not making several trips to DL each year, I switched over to their other rewards card that give us 3% on groceries and gas-more practical for us right now and better than both the AMex and Discover cash backs.

Well, we got a $40 credit on our first bill and 0% interest on purchases and transfers for 6 months. With the $40, 10% on some of our food bills & souvenir shopping, and free stroller rental, I think it will be worth it! Since we probably won't be back to Disney for a couple of years (unless dh falls in love with it - his first trip and we'll see how it goes) I probably won't use the card too much after our trip. Now I just have to hope it gets here in time!

I have horrible credit. So no Disney VISA for me.

mask41, after your trip, switch over to their other rewards card that I described below. They even transfer your disney dollars and all it took was a phone call. I told them we were not planning any trips to DL soon and they switched us right over and we had the new cards in 3 days. 3% on groceries is great!

DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Like I always told Guests when they asked us if we took whatever as payment... but only if I felt that I had a great rapport with my Guest (like if I was interacting or helping them for a long time or if they were one of my repeat Guests).

"As long as it's considered to be money in some place in the world... we'll take it. I'll even take foreign currency! We're Disney! We try to make it easy to spend your money!"

Or there's always Disney's real "Four Keys of Service"... "Cash, Credit, Check, or Disney Dollars".

Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins with Me...! 8:P

Wow, I had no idea about the disney visa! I actually had one for a while, and they wouldnt send me a rewards card! I used it a lot at disneyland, but didnt know there were discounts or benefits : ( I cancelled it a while ago because I thought it was a scam.