Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

View Poll Results: What do you think Disney will name the two new ships?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Imagine

22 68.75%
  • Fantasia

7 21.88%
  • Amaze

2 6.25%
  • Dream

25 78.13%
  • Enchantment

3 9.38%
  • Walter E. Disney

3 9.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Two New Cruise Line Ships!

Two New Cruise Line Ships!

Not sure if anyone else posted this yet, but this was on Disneycruiseline.com today. Looks pretty exciting:

Disney Announces Expansion of Successful Cruise Business

Two new ships will more than double passenger capacity

BURBANK, Calif., (February 22, 2007) -- The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) plans to expand its successful cruise business by adding two new ocean liners, President and CEO Bob Iger announced today. Scheduled to launch in 2011 and 2012, the ships will more than double the passenger capacity for Disney Cruise Line to meet the sustained demand for Disney's family cruise vacations.

The company signed a letter of intent with Meyer Werft shipyard, based in Papenburg, Germany, to negotiate a contract to build the 122,000-ton new cruise liners, which will be two decks taller than the existing 83,000-ton ships, the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder. Each ship will have 1,250 staterooms. Specific design plans and itineraries for the yet-unnamed ships are still in development and will be unveiled at a later date.

"Since our maiden voyage in 1998, Disney Cruise Line has been a huge success for our guests and for our shareholders alike," Iger said. "It has brought our unparalleled family vacation experience to the high seas, and has also generated high margins and double digit returns on invested capital. We're excited to announce the expansion of our fleet, which is a logical next step in what is a real growth business for us."

Disney Cruise Line established the family market within the cruise industry when the business launched in 1998. The first two ships were purpose built for families to reconnect and recharge while creating vacation memories that will last a lifetime. From a theater featuring live musical spectaculars to a luxurious spa for adults and nearly an entire deck dedicated to children's activities, the ships offer something for every member of the family. Disney Cruise Line continues to grow by attracting passengers who say they would not have cruised if it hadn't been for the Disney brand.

"Focusing on families has been smart business for us," said Jay Rasulo, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "More than 95 percent of Disney Cruise Line guests rate their cruise experience as excellent or very good. Families know they can trust us to provide a quality, immersive Disney experience. As a result, Disney Cruise Line continually sets sail with the highest load factors in the industry of nearly 150 percent."

Similar to the original Disney Cruise Line ships, the new ships will be a modern interpretation of classic ocean liners of the 1930s. Disney Imagineers drew their inspiration from the original trans-Atlantic ships that featured a dramatic black hull with two funnels and porthole windows. The profile of the ships, with its gentle curves at the stern combined with sleek angles at the bow, are reminiscent of the art deco designs of the era. To add whimsy to the classic design, the Disney ships have the same exterior color palette as Mickey Mouse with black, white, red and yellow. The new ships will feature elegant, detailed Disney scrollwork at the bow and will evoke images of the glamour of the golden age of cruising.

Tom McAlpin, the President of Disney Cruise Line, said, "This is an exciting time for Disney Cruise Line, and we are looking forward to working with Meyer Werft to blend our innovation and creativity with their fine craftsmanship. Meyer Werft has a long tradition of building magnificent ships. We are confident that the result will be ships that take the immersive Disney family-focused cruise experience to an entirely new level."

New itineraries

Disney Cruise Line, which traditionally offers 3-, 4- and 7-night Caribbean cruises, has also enjoyed strong demand for new itineraries. Trips to the Mediterranean and to the West Coast have recently set booking records within the company and booked 30-50 percent faster than the existing itineraries at higher prices.

"With a larger fleet, we'll have greater flexibility to offer a variety of itineraries," Rasulo said. "This is a business that our guests love, and we're pleased to give them more options to explore the world with Disney with two new ships."

To learn more about Disney Cruise Line or to book a vacation, guests can contact their travel agent, visit disneycruise.com or call Disney Cruise Line at (888) DCL-2500. Travel agents can call Disney Cruise Line at (888) 325-2500 or visit disneytravelagents.com.

FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS

Certain statements in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are made on the basis of our views and assumptions regarding future events and business performance as of the time the statements are made and we do not undertake any obligation to update these statements. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Such differences may result from actions taken by the Company as well as from developments beyond the Company's control; including adverse weather conditions or natural disasters; health concerns; international, political or military developments; and changes in domestic and global economic conditions, competitive conditions and consumer preferences. Additional factors are set forth in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 30, 2006 Item 1A, "Risk Factors."

-30-

Last edited by Andrew; 02-22-2007 at 09:56 AM. Reason: remove press contact info

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is good and exciting news... Its been anticipated for a long time. Now it looks like a few more years till they come online. I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

fingers crossed that we get a permanent West Coast ship!!!

Disneyland IS the Happiest place on Earth!

I am Root. Bow before me!
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Looking at the concept art of the two new ships, it looks like the pool located where the adult pool is now will be enclosed. These ships are being built for cold weather. IE, Alaska. We will probably get one of them during the summer season for Alaska runs. My guess? the 4th ship in 2012.

Other thoughts based on the renderings: Palo is MUCH bigger (we've heard previously that they wanted to expand it), no sports deck on the front,

Never argue with stupid people. They just drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    I will believe it is a crisis when the people claiming it is a crisis start acting like it is a crisis.
    I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended.

Original and Classic

Woohoo! New ships! Can't wait.

If it's after closing and I stare at you, that means, Go Home.
    Bag check, not security check, bag check!!
    I'm so funny. clicky and check me out.
    I make things happen.

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I cannot wait!!!
    FYI -- Enchantment is a RCCL ship already.
    I voted for Dream and Imagine (Imagination and Fantasy are Carnival Ships)
    I also like the Disney Wish

Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

Tony

Where were you able to view the concept art for the new ship(S)?

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Never argue with stupid people. They just drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    I will believe it is a crisis when the people claiming it is a crisis start acting like it is a crisis.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At least they are going to resemble the Magic and Wonder. That is such a classic design.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Woo hoo! I just *know* one is going to live here permanently!

Any guesses where the other one will live? Will they run 3 out of Florida? Will 2 live here, going to Hawaii and Alaska or Mexico?

What's *your* opinion????

Whhhheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karin

Thank you so much!

I'm so excited!! Even if its three or four years, We'll just have to do the 7 day Carribean while we wait.

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin H-L
    Any guesses where the other one will live? Will they run 3 out of Florida? Will 2 live here, going to Hawaii and Alaska or Mexico?
    I think maybe two/three in Florida (new doing 7 days to different parts of the carribbean, older doing 3/4)

One goes to the med for the summer.

We get a new one here (if its panamax) to go Alaska in the summer and mexico in the winter.
    Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

I hope one comes here to the west coast!!!

I wonder if one of them will get a permanent spot, and one will "wander?" Good news either way!!

DLR AP; Pin trader/collector JohnGar's Avatar

Excellent news. Especially since I'm a shareholder.

Four ships would be great, but I wonder if they might keep three in rotation and have one being repaired, refubished, etc. The first two ships are getting up there in years. There have have been updates, but a drydock inspection wouldn't hurt.

Pin trader/collector; member, Carolwood Pacific Historical Society; member, D23; Walt Disney Co. shareholder.
    I used to go to Disneyland three times a year, then it was three times a month. Now it's once every three years.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Niwel, I've seen a couple of people reference panamax on other boards. What's that?

Karin

DLR AP; Pin trader/collector JohnGar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin H-L
    I've seen a couple of people reference panamax on other boards. What's that?
    From Wikipedia:

Ships classified as Panamax are of the maximum dimensions that will fit through the locks of the Panama Canal. This size is determined by the dimensions of the lock chambers, and the depth of the water in the canal. Panamax is a significant factor in the design of cargo ships, with many ships being built to exactly the maximum allowable size.
    Pin trader/collector; member, Carolwood Pacific Historical Society; member, D23; Walt Disney Co. shareholder.
    I used to go to Disneyland three times a year, then it was three times a month. Now it's once every three years.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

thank you.

Karin

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

That's why a lot of the RCCL ships can't get out here -- they won't fit through the canal and the only way to get them here would be to go around South American

Hakuna Matata

1st Official Riders on Nemo!!
    Blog Entries

I am so excited about the new ships. Does anyone know if they had a Maiden Voyage of the Wonder and Magic from Europe to the US when they were finished, that was open to the public? I am already looking to be on the wait list for the Maiden Voyages!

I was in the Magic Kingdom, now I'm in the Carribbean. You get something really wicked, when you spend an E-Ticket! ~The Vandals "Pirates Life"
    READ THE ABOMINABLE BLOG HERE ON MOUSEPLANET.....just click on the blog entry link over there on your left!

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Cruise ships go through dry dock every three years. In fact, the Wonder did hers last September, immediately after the 11-night Southern Caribbean cruise. That's when the added the 'Dumbo'-tron, a new toddler splash area and a redo of the adult pools. Lots more was done - in fact, the last DCL video had a whole segment on the Magic's dry dock from 4 years ago.

Mr.Abominable. The Europe to the US cruise was not a sold cruise. They had a lot of invited guests on board as Guinea pigs for a shake down. The Inagural cruise took place once they got to Port Canaveral. Both Inagural cruises were done by lottery, so expect a LOT of interest.

Blog Entries

With Disneyland's submarine fleet back in service, Disney is going to have quite a navy!

This is great news, but it really torques me off that not a single US shipbuilder is interested in building cruise ships. The greatest cruise ship ever built, the SS United States, was built at Newport News Shipbuilding in Virginia. It's tragic we've completely lost this industry.

I'm pretty sure there still an old law on the books which prevents any cruise ship not built in the US from making two domestic port calls consecutively. As I understand it, this is why ships which cruise the Hawaiian islands are very old, reburbished hulls originally built in the US.

I know one of the current Disney itineraries includes Key West. I'm assuming this is after a stop outside the US. Or, do Disney ships in fact depart Port Canaveral and pull into Key West? If so, it would suggest the old "US built" law is no longer in effect.

FYI, Panama is building a new, much larger canal because Panamax ships are becoming obsolete. There will be new, much larger locks at both ends and larger transit lanes through the man-made lake between the locks. Are the new Disney ships built to Panamax standards, or are they bigger? I was under the impression Magic and Wonder were already Panamax, but maybe not.

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

The Western Caribbean schedule leaves Port Canveral, and then goes directly to Key West.

Both the Magic and Wonder are Panamax

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    Both the Magic and Wonder are Panamax
    Take your pick:

1) Either the Wonder or Magic gets repositioned to the West Coast

or

2) Coming soon: the first Around-The-Horn Disney Cruise!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Goldhaber
    Take your pick:

1) Either the Wonder or Magic gets repositioned to the West Coast

or

2) Coming soon: the first Around-The-Horn Disney Cruise!
    The Wonder and Magic aren't designed for Northern Pacific operations. (The seas are very rough up there and, obviously, it gets c-c-cold!) Therefore, I seriously doubt if either ship ends up permanently repositioned on the West Coast.

Since the new ships are too big for the Panama Canal, going to the West Coast will indeed require an "Around-The-Horn" journey (unless they go through the Suez, which isn't likely). I'm not sure there are enough port calls to justify a passenger cruise for such a trip, but maybe; for the especially adventurous cruisers.

Here are some names which Disney has already rejected:

- Paul and Cynthia (Disney definately wants these endeavors to stay afloat.)

- Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee

- Beauty and Beast (While "Beauty" sounded nice, Disney wasn't sure most cruisers would want to ride a ship called "Beast" and also wasn't sure they'd want cruisers who did.)

- Fox and Hound (Turned out there's already a chain of pubs with this name.)

- Lady and Tramp (Problems similar to Beauty and Beast)

- Tinker and Bell (Here we go again.)

- Spin and Marty (The first name might suggest seasickness.)

Has anyone heard of any other names rejected?

Personally, I think they should name one of the new ships "Black Pearl".