Dateline Disney - February 2007
WDW Press Release
In This Edition:
# Romantic Disney: Love is in the air -- Top 10 romantic reasons for a Valentine's visit to Disney.
# Magic Kingdom: Dreams of becoming a pirate or princess come true at new special event.
# Epcot: World-record "tomato tree" flourishes at The Land pavilion; "Fuel For Thought" exhibit opens at Test Track.
# Disney Fairy Tale Weddings: New couture wedding collection makes couples' dreams come true; New honeymoon registry and designer bridal doll unveiled.
# Downtown Disney: Two annual events make February festive at Pleasure Island.
# Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex: Atlanta Braves spring training begins.
Top 10 Tips: Walt Disney World Resort Offers Romance for Lovebirds on Valentine's Day and Every Day
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- All you need is love -- and a Walt Disney World vacation -- to make this year's Valentine's Day dreams come true. It's "The Year of a Million Dreams" at Disney Parks, and with dreams being granted to guests every day, there's no better time to visit the home of the world's greatest storybook romances.
Whether it's a spa treatment for two, a horse-drawn carriage through the South or a view of the sunset over an African savannah, these top ten delights create the perfect setting for unscripted romance on Valentine's Day or any day!
* 1. A South Pacific paradise awaits at Disney's Polynesian Resort, where couples can lounge on a hammock made for two amidst tropical landscaping, cascading waterfalls and a picturesque view of Seven Seas Lagoon.
* 2. In the United Kingdom pavilion at Epcot, guests can stroll through the serene Perennial Garden, an oft-missed attraction (it hides snuggly behind the thatched-roof cottage of The Tea Caddy). Sample an English biscuit and a cup of Twinings tea, then relax on one of the many benches that provide excellent views of fluttering butterflies and seasonal flower blooms.
* 3. It was a "Bella Notte" when Lady and the Tramp shared that famous spaghetti noodle, so to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their classic romance, guests can recreate the moment at Tony's Town Square in Magic Kingdom. Couples can share a heaping platter of the restaurant's signature dish, spaghetti and meatballs dressed in Tony's tomato sauce, next to an indoor Lady and the Tramp fountain or outdoors on a patio that provides excellent parade views on special nights. (Info: 407/WDW-DINE)
* 4. Travel amidst scenic waterways and the grand manors of Disney's Port Orleans Resort-Riverside on a horse-drawn carriage ride, departing most nights from Boatwright's Dining Hall. For $35, couples can enjoy a 25-minute journey in an antique carriage with dreamy views of the resort's southern-inspired locales. (Info: 407/WDW-PLAY)
* 5. At Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, guests can indulge in one of many pampering services, including the Citrus Zest Treatment, a signature couples massage held in a romantic candlelit treatment room reserved solely for couples. The Grand Romantic Evening package offers a 50- or 80-minute aromatherapy massage, and for guests who prefer a hands-on experience, the Couples Instructional Massage provides the chance to massage one another with instruction from a certified masseuse. (Info: 407/824-2332)
* 6. Rent an old-fashioned fringe-topped surrey for two at Disney's BoardWalk, then bicycle around the old-fashioned pier amidst street performers, carnival games and the sweet smell of cotton candy. Guests can pedal to the nearby Disney's Yacht Club and Disney's Beach Club resorts or the Swan and Dolphin resorts for $19-$25. (Info: 407/560-8750)
* 7. Continue your storybook romance by renewing your vows with Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings. Disney's wedding specialists become the fairy godmothers, incorporating all the elements including ceremony, cuisine, floral arrangements and more. Each celebration can be custom-tailored to the whims and fancies of the couple to make their milestone magical. (Info: 321/939-4623)
* 8. A night's stay at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge is an experience in itself! With most rooms overlooking a 33-acre savannah filled with 200 exotic animals and birds, guests can watch the sunset -- or sunrise -- over Africa from their private balcony. Room service can deliver breakfast in bed, or for more exotic cuisine, Jiko-The Cooking Place, a AAA Four Diamond restaurant, is steps away from the lobby. (Info: 407/W-DISNEY)
* 9. For the utmost in romance by sea, guests can rent the Grand Floridian's Grand 1, a 45-foot Sea Ray 450 Express Bridge Yacht, that provides private dining, butler service and a captain during a cruise along Seven Seas Lagoon. At Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Marina, the Breathless, a handsome reproduction of a 1930 mahogany runabout, is also available for private cruises. (Info: 407/824-2682)
* 10. Unmatched elegance lives at Victoria & Albert's at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, central Florida's only AAA Five Diamond restaurant (and one of just 58 restaurants in North America with the distinction). A table for two offers Royal Doulton china, Cristofle silver, personalized menus, and soft harp music in an intimate 18-table dining room. A meal at the Chef's Table seats guests in Victoria & Albert's kitchen with a culinary feast custom-tailored to their specific tastes by Disney's executive chef. (Info: 407/WDW-DINE)
Additional general information about Walt Disney World Resort is available by logging on to disneyworld.com, visiting a travel agent or calling 407/824-4321.
Disney's Pirate & Princess Party Continues in February at Magic Kingdom
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Dreams of becoming a swashbuckling pirate or Disney royalty can come true on seven lucky evenings in February during Disney's Pirate & Princess Party, a new Magic Kingdom special event at Walt Disney World Resort. Tickets are on sale for Feb. 1, 5, 8, 12, 15, 23 and 26. The newly created after-hours treat is 7:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m.
With an adventure map to guide them, families can embark on a hunt for colorful beads, chocolate doubloons and fun throughout the Magic Kingdom theme park. Adventurers can explore the park on a quest for pirate coves and princess courts decked out with themed entertainment, participate in character meet-and-greets and experience some of the most popular Magic Kingdom attractions open throughout the event.
Adding to the magic of the evening are two new nighttime entertainment spectaculars: "Disney's Enchanted Adventures Parade" and "Magic, Music and Mayhem," a special fireworks display orchestrated to an original musical score.
Tickets purchased on the day of the event are priced at $42.95 plus tax (ages 10 and over), $35.95 plus tax (ages 3-9). Guests can save $6 per ticket by purchasing in advance. Phone 407/W-DISNEY or visit disneyworld.com/pirateandprincess.
The special event continues March 2, 5 and 8.
Epcot Land Pavilion Sets Record as 'Tomato Tree' Boasts 32,000 Tomatoes
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Land pavilion at Epcot is now home to a record-setting plant. A single tomato vine -- known unofficially as a "tomato tree" for the unique way the vine grows -- was recently recognized as an official "Guinness World Record Holder," with a one-year harvest of more than 32,000 tomatoes and a total weight of 1,151.84 pounds.
Epcot Manager of Agricultural Science Yong Huang discovered the unique plant variety several years ago while on vacation in Beijing, China. After meeting with scientists responsible for that plant, Huang brought its seeds to Epcot and created a specialized greenhouse for the fruit to grow. The single vine grows golf ball-sized tomatoes that are harvested and served at restaurants at Walt Disney World Resort. The Epcot "tomato tree" can currently be seen by guests on the pavilion's Living with the Land boat ride attraction.
Interactive 'Fuel For Thought' Exhibit Opens at Epcot Test Track Pavilion
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- General Motors brings the wonder of fuel cell technology, hybrid vehicles and ethanol-powered cars and trucks to life with the newly opened "Fuel For Thought" display at the Test Track pavilion at Epcot. The exhibit features unique, interactive components about advanced automotive technology and the road to a greener future.
The walk-through "Fuel For Thought" begins down a "Live Green Go Yellow" pathway designed with brilliant graphics and a plasma wall with an expansive photo of a cornfield. As guests pass by, they see the cornstalks parting in a wavelike fashion. Touch-screen games and interactive kiosks provide information about fuel cells, hybrids, E85 and different GM environmental activities throughout the world.
The main exhibit-space floor is highlighted by a giant projected circular graphic controlled by motion sensors. The circle appears to hold corn kernels, and as guests walk across it, the kernels pop into popcorn while E85 messages traverse the area. The themed graphic also presents an electricity show while emphasizing hybrid technology.
An actual FlexFuel E85 compatible vehicle is housed on the main floor for guests to climb in and out of, while one wall houses a Chevy Tahoe chassis that demonstrates through vibrant lighting effects how a two-mode hybrid works.
Disney Fairy Tale Weddings Introduces Wedding Collection by David Tutera
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Many brides-to-be dream about a grand wedding in a storybook setting with a designer flair. Now the dream is a reality at Walt Disney World Resort with a new line of celebrity-style weddings -- Disney's Couture Wedding Collection by David Tutera.
Award-winning lifestyle expert David Tutera is known as a trendsetter and leading creative force in the wedding and party planning industry. His talents can be seen on his hit primetime series on The Discovery Home Channel, "Party Planner with David Tutera." His high-profile client list includes Jennifer Lopez, Jewel and Barbara Walters. He has created events for the Grammys, royalty, socialites and other organizations worldwide.
Disney's Couture Wedding Collection by David Tutera offers brides four tailored looks -- Whimsical Garden, Cocktail Soiree, Classic Elegance, Simply Chic -- to create the perfect atmosphere for their special day.
The romance of Walt Disney World Resort is what drew Tutera to create the wedding collection, available exclusively at Disney's Wedding Pavilion and receptions held at Disney's Contemporary Resort. Couples will be able to enjoy selections of rich fabrics, floral arrangements, props and furniture along with elegant flatware, stemware and table settings -- all inspired exclusively by Tutera.
Brides and grooms also will have the opportunity to incorporate more of Tutera's wedding vision into other aspects of their wedding, including the invitations and ceremony, to complete the entire experience.
For more information on Disney Fairy Tale Weddings and the Couture Wedding Collection by David Tutera, contact 321/939-4623, or visit disneyweddings.com .
Disney Fairy Tale Weddings Unveils Honeymoon Registry and Designer Doll
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Disney Fairy Tale Weddings creates storybook weddings and honeymoons for hundreds of couples every year. In 2007, the Disney wedding magic continues with two new offerings:
# Disney Honeymoon Registry -- Launching Feb. 14, couples can complete a wedding gift registry for elements to comprise an all-inclusive honeymoon to Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, Disneyland Resort in California, Disney Cruise Line and Disney Vacation Club. Gifts available on the registry range from dining, theme park tickets and resort accommodations to a personal safari, an after-hours visit to Magic Kingdom or a Disney Vacation Club membership. Couples can even personalize their online registry page with messages and pictures. For more information or to sign up for the Disney Honeymoon Registry, call 407/939-7776 or visit the Web site at disneyhoneymoonregistry.com.
# Disney Fairy Tale Weddings Doll -- Beginning Feb. 14, a collectible Cinderella bride doll, donning a princess-inspired wedding dress by designer Paloma Blanca, is available for purchase at World of Disney stores in New York, Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Resort in California.
Beads Fly and Hearts Are a-Flutter at Downtown Disney Pleasure Island
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Downtown Disney Pleasure Island is buzzing in February as the nighttime destination presents two annual events:
# Pleasure Island becomes Sweetheart Island, celebrating the romance of Valentine's Day, Feb. 9, 10 and 14. Red and silver reign supreme on these special evenings, setting the stage for a host of heartwarming and humorous performances honoring the lovelorn and lovebirds alike.
# Parti Gras puts a Pleasure Island spin on the famous Mardi Gras tradition Feb. 16, 17 and 20. On these nights, feathered banners, fabric swags, purple and green garland, Mardi Gras masks and more are the backdrop for a party that includes special entertainers, live bands and more.
Guests may experience the outdoor elements of these celebrations free of charge. Admission to the Pleasure Island nightclubs requires a separate ticket. Guests may visit the Pleasure Island ticket booths for details on ticket pricing and age restrictions.
Atlanta Braves Celebrate 10 Years of Spring Training at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Atlanta Braves will celebrate their 10th season of Major League Baseball Spring Training at The Ballpark at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in 2007. The Braves played the Cincinnati Reds in an exhibition game on March 28, 1997, in the official grand opening event at the sports complex and made The Ballpark their full-time spring training home in 1998.
The month of February is the perfect opportunity for fans to get up close and personal with their favorite Braves stars. Braves pitchers and catchers report on Feb. 14, with their first workout set for Feb. 15. Position players arrive Feb. 20, with the first full-squad workouts on Feb. 21. Fans can seek out autographs and photos while taking in a Braves practice session.
The Braves slate of 16 home games at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex begins on Feb. 28 with an exhibition game against Georgia Tech University. The Braves will battle several key rivals during the 2007 spring training season, including marquee clashes with the Mets, Astros, Cardinals and Yankees.
Individual game tickets for the Braves home spring training games are currently on sale through Ticketmaster (407/839-3900 and ticketmaster.com and at the Disney's Wide World of Sports box office. Prices range from $14 (general admission lawn seats) to $22.50 (lower reserved).
The popular mini-packs will include both three-game and five-game options in 2007 and are currently on sale, giving fans their first opportunity to purchase tickets to specific games on the Braves 2007 spring training schedule. Fans may also purchase Atlanta Braves Spring Training travel packages through Sports Marketing USA. Travel packages include Braves game tickets, accommodations at Walt Disney World Resort and other benefits. Information is available online at springtrainingtours.com/Braves/braves.html.
Information on the Braves spring training season, group tickets and mini-packs is available by calling 407/939-GAME (4263) and online at disneyworldsports.com.