Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tunnels underneath Disneyland?

And when the Railroad goes into a tunnel, would it be the Underground Railroad?

2. # ADS

AP holder - WDW Frequenter

I heard the Teacups and Dumbo were underground as well, can anyone please prove this?

Obviously their motor housings, and gearboxes must be, as well as the control and power wiring for them.

James H. H. Lampert
    Professional Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by crrees
    I heard the Teacups and Dumbo were underground as well, can anyone please prove this?
    Yes, I can prove this with a red circle on a photo. Give me minute or two...or three...
    Steve

The second edition of my book on the history of the Disneyland Railroad, Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! - The Complete History in Words and Pictures, is now available! You can read more about the book and place your order here: Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by smd4
    Slightly below and to the left of the POTC show building in the photo linked in my earlier post, you can see the HM show building.

Obviously, it's not underground either. Sure, both buildings may have been built into the ground a bit, but certailnly we cannot call them "underground," which implies (actually, by definition, means) being buried under at least a bit of earth.
    Oooo a red circle. Q.E.D.

--t

What is "Grade"?

If I am on Harbor Blvd near HoJo's, I look down onto Tomorrowland and the Railroad.

If I am on Disneyland Drive on Magic Way, the Downtown Disney bridge is higher than the level I am at. Much of Downtown Disney is "higher" than the next to World of Disney.

And in New Orleans Square, I have go up quite a few feet from in front of the Rivers of America (which is even lower than the pathway where folks sit for Fantasmic!) to enter the Pirates of the Caribbean building. and even in the building, the queue ramps up a few more feet.

So if you say that "grade" is the where the average level of the Rivers of America is, then Pirates is about the same level in the "Main" show area.

But if you want to claim that the Railroad tracks are at "grade" then most of Disneyland is "underground". Of course, there are a LOT more stairs getting to the Main Street station than the New Orleans Square, Toontown and Tomorrowland stations....

It is clear the POTC show building is clearly above ground backstage behind the berm.

Check out my photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Does being in a flume that may be below grade, in a large building with walls that tower 40 feet into the sky, qualify as being "underground?"

If we're going to apply some arbitrary definition that "anything built below grade--even if the show building extends dozens of feet above ground, is still to be considered 'underground,'" then, by that definition, we are required to place Space Mountain in the exact same category--since its foundation is 10 feet below grade. I wonder who will be the first to argue that SM is entirely underground.

Can we at least agree that "underground" means having at least a few inches of dirt over one's head? The usual definition for "underground" is "below the surface of the earth." I'm really at a loss to explain how anyone can think the massive, visible show buildings of POTC are situated below the surface of the earth.

Of course, in this day and age, I'm at a loss to explain a lot of things.
    Easy to explain: Anyone can argue anything, even if what they are arguing is preposterous.

Our city has strict height and size limits on buildings. We significantly remodeled our house which is on a hill, adding two stories and a drive-in garage/basement. Because our basement is located below grade on two sides, we successfully argued to the Planning Commission that it was "underground" and should not be counted towards the height limit, even though on the front side of the house it is above grade and adds about 10-12 feet to the height of the building. Further, because living space cannot be "underground," the basement is not counted towards the maximum square feet limit, either.

The arbitrary definition of anything below grade being "underground" - I think it was in the Uniform Building Code or something like that - let us build a house about 50% larger. Perhaps I should build a flume ride in the basement. I think I might call it "Parents of the CarriedChildren."

Katprint

Quote Originally Posted by tod
    Oooo a red circle. Q.E.D.

--t
    "Q.E.D. is an abbreviation of the Latin phrase "quod erat demonstrandum" (literally, "which was to be demonstrated"). In simple terms, the use of this Latin phrase is to indicate that something has been definitively proven."

Thank you. I'm glad you've seen the light, and I feel happy that I have helped.
    Steve

The second edition of my book on the history of the Disneyland Railroad, Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! - The Complete History in Words and Pictures, is now available! You can read more about the book and place your order here: Amazon

"Q.E.D. is an abbreviation of the Latin phrase "quod erat demonstrandum" (literally, "which was to be demonstrated"). In simple terms, the use of this Latin phrase is to indicate that something has been definitively proven."

Thank you. I'm glad you've seen the light, and I feel happy that I have helped.
    And you seem to have looked it up, so it looks like I have been catalytic in your learning some Latin.

I am so proud, I could just bust.

--t

5 Miles from the DLR

The pirate ship battle and town scene of POTC are about 10 feet below ground, I had the pleasure of walking up the stairs across from where the dunking scene is, I had to climb a nice flight of stairs to reach a an exterior door which is on ground level. I can say that the ship battle scene and town scene are 10 feet below grade. In the newest Walt Disney Treasures DVD, Your Host Walt Disney, he talks about the hole that was dug for POTC and how deep it is.

Whoa! Moderator Reminder

Keep a civil tone, and no personal attacks.

Let's move on from the "underground" debate, please. Thank you.

Deeper than I'd thought.

At any rate, like anybody who rode Rocket Rods (or even just got all the way through the queue) knows, there are a few maintenance tunnels under Tomorrowland, one of which was turned (along with CircleVision, the CircleVision lobby, and part of the CircleVision exit lobby, and the PeopleMover queue) into part of the Rocket Rods queue. I've heard them called "prototype Utilidors."

The whole point of WDW-MK's basement was that Walt disliked the fact that CMs were constantly having to pass through onstage areas of DL they weren't costumed for, in order to get to their work areas. That was not nearly as great a concern with Epcot, because the costuming differences in FutureWorld aren't nearly so extreme as they are in a Magic Kingdom (any Magic Kingdom), and besides, most of FutureWorld, and all of World Showcase, is accessible from perimeter roads. Nonetheless, there is, I'm told, a partial basement under FutureWorld. In MGM, having CMs walking through areas they aren't costumed for is part of the "working studio" atmosphere, and in AK, there's not enough variation in costuming to where any CMs would look out of place, anywhere in the park.

James H. H. Lampert
    Professional Dilettante

I have personaly been in a tunnel at Disneyland. The one I wandered into took me from under the middle of Innovations and came up at the other end opposite the south side of the Matterhorn. It's really more like corridors in a basement than tunnels. Highly overrated. I've also been in the park at night. That's when all the intresting stuff happens. In the midnight hours, cleanup and repair.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by alfredo212
    I have two family members who started working at Disneyland this past year.....was never aware there was something similar underneath Disneyland.

Can anyone comfirm or deny this?

Disneyland Alumnus Class of 89' lagunachadling's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oc_scan
    I have personaly been in a tunnel at Disneyland. The one I wandered into took me from under the middle of Innovations and came up at the other end opposite the south side of the Matterhorn. It's really more like corridors in a basement than tunnels. Highly overrated. I've also been in the park at night. That's when all the intresting stuff happens. In the midnight hours, cleanup and repair.

Hope that helps!

You're absolutely correct, I have been down there, they are small hallways, that lead basically to electrical and water pump rooms, there are certain rooms that contain kitchen utility space under Tomorrowland Terrance, and the Village House......when I worked in Fantasyland attractions, I would pick up my paycheck DOWNSTAIRS beneath the village house, there are, and or was offices down there.....SOOOOOOO yes there are tunnels at Disneyland.....WDW is built on 2 levels, back stage on the first level, and Onstage, the 2nd level.

Registered Independant

There are several tunnels, tubed shape, that run underground in various locations through out Disneyland. They are commonly referred to as "sewers". Walt insisted upon the installation of these!!!

"The ultimate ponzi scheme: Social Security" - Jim Cramer

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others that have been tried." - Winston Churchill

Yes, i was watching Modern Marvels on the History Channel about WDW and did a small segment about the tunnels at WDW. They also made a reference to tunnels under Disneyland acessable by Disney cast members, although they are nothing like the tunnels in WDW.