Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Financing a Disney Cruise

Financing a Disney Cruise

I would love to be able to go on a Disney Cruise, but everytime I look at the prices they make me gasp! In the end it's cheaper for me to go to WDW. Does anyone have any tips for me for financing a cruise in the future. Or does anyone know where I can go to look for deals on the cruises? I would love to be able to experience a different part of Disney.

A dream is a wish your heart makes.

2. # ADS

DVC maybe? You can buy points that are financed and use them for both Disney vacations as well as the cruises.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Personally, I find that using the Disney Visa card, with its 6months 0% on Disney trips is a great way to finance the trip. (done it twice.) And here is a tip... if you use your Disney Visa card for your deposit, that gets 0%/6Months as well.

For example... say I wanted to cruise in Feb of 08. Cruise cost is $3000.

$1500 deposit (More than what is required for an initial deposit) in December 06.... Get 6 months to pay that off....
    Pay off the balance using said card in June 07... get another 6 months to pay it off.
    Get to go to cruise with it paid off.

Of course, if you have some cash saved up, then it makes things even better as you can make sure it is paid off in that time frame. Oh, and best yet - you get rewards dollars to boot!

By the way.... one of the best trips you can do is a land and sea vacation, splitting your time between the parks and DCL. It can be a very rewarding vacation.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Although by no means "financing," you can easily save about $250 to $300 per booking by shopping online (e.g. cruise.com etc.). I've learned that booking directly through Disney will cost you more and, although the third party agents may not necessarily have as many staterooms in the category of your choice, I've never had a problem and the prices are very good.

Disney Dreamer

When you book a land and sea trip, does it still include the park tickets and resort stay depending on what stateroom category you choose?

Disney for life! ...Literally, I'm going to retire as a cm.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, it does.
    Now, when it comes to a L&S trip, you can go through DCL and let them do all the packaging. It works real well and I thought the trip had a lot of value. However, it was expensive.

The alternative is to book the land and sea portions separately. This allows you to mix and match staterooms for the sea part and the hotel for the land part, and takes more of your budget into consideration. I have done it both ways (package and separate) and while doing it separately does require a little more work and keeping track of things, you can save some serious dollars.

Doing it seperately also allows you to stay longer, if you would like or even take a longer cruise if you would like as well. One thing... DCL wont do a L&S trip in this manner - they stick with their packages.

A few hours of your time and some good note taking, along with some comparison will net you a great vacation at an affordable cost.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Disney Dreamer

Thanks for the good tips!

I'm going to start another question..

Disney for life! ...Literally, I'm going to retire as a cm.