Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Years Eve/Day at Disneyland (merged)

New Years Eve/Day at Disneyland (merged)

How crowded is DL on new years eve and new years day? We were thinking of taking a short trip down there at that time.

Thank you!

2. # ADS

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by msgmg68
    How crowded is DL on new years eve and new years day? We were thinking of taking a short trip down there at that time.

Thank you!
    New Years Eve will be very crowded. Based on busy days this year and previous NYE's, they will probably stop selling tickets at some point and I wouldn't be surprised if they closed the gates to new entries in the late afternoon.

The streets will be very crowded, especially in the evening as people claim spots to watch fireworks and celebrate the New Year at midnight.

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by msgmg68

Thank you!
    Like Adrienne said, very hectic NYE. They usually say to expect a turnstile closing by noon. NY day, it is usually slow in the morning, but picks up throughout the day. After the Rose Bowl game is over, it gets pretty crowded again, but nothing like NYE.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Thanks to both of you! I pretty much figured we'd be in for a crowd, but we were there last year at Thanksgiving, so we could probably handle it - barely!

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

even though there were a lot of people in the park when i attended, the lines for the rides were extremely short! i remember 15min lines for space mtn! unheard of with the amount in attendance.

Happily Ever After with my Prince.

I have been going to DL on NYE for years, the only thing I find hard is with all the people it can be hard to get from one side of the park to the other. And it gets harder to move around when it get closer to midnight. So I would say either stay in one area of the park or just take your time and try to relax as you work your way to where ever you want to go. It will be fun and you will have a great time.

Pray for rain.

2007 UPDATED PHOTOS:
    http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd345/Pisceslibra/Disneyland%20Christmas%202007/?start=all
    More: http://www.flickr.com/photos/piscesl...7606706412381/
    2006 Christmas/New Years photos:
    http://pisces.smugmug.com/gallery/2307689/11/120769200

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

We were at Disneyland this past New Year's Eve, and it wasn't all that crowded, partly because it rained for about 4 hours in the middle of the day. We also discovered that while everyone else was parked for hours in front of the castle/on Main Street to wait for the midnight fireworks, we went on rides. We managed to go on all the Fantasyland rides in the time right before and right after the midnight fireworks. We had a great time.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

We were there for New Years Eve last year. It was pretty crowded, but once it started raining the crowds thinned out. We spent quite a bit of time over at CA, the crowds were very minimal that night. They gave out free hats and party favors (our son thought that was awesome).

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek
    I wouldn't be surprised if they closed the gates to new entries in the late afternoon.
    Last year, I called Guest Relations and they told me PAP's could come anytime before 6pm and get admitted. Ahh, the joys of having that little $300+ piece of plastic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dznyphreak
    Last year, I called Guest Relations and they told me PAP's could come anytime before 6pm and get admitted. Ahh, the joys of having that little $300+ piece of plastic.
    Ummmm, be wary of what they tell you on the phone. More than once they have fed me misinformation. I would hate to get to the gate at 5:30pm thinking that, and not get in. In 2002, we had the PAPs, and they shut the gate to EVERYONE at 1pm. The only "piece of plastic" that will guarantee you get thru the gate on a closed gate is your Club 33 membership. (Not a guest of a Club 33 member, you must be the card carrier.)

I'm pretty sure that was not a generalization and rather specific to that day. My mom and her friend went early in the day and sat through the rain thinking they needed to be in the park in the morning lest they be locked out. I decided to call GR and see how late I could get in safely. He estimated that anytime before 6 should be ok for PAP's to get in, but that they had already stopped selling tickets. I went sometime between 3 and 5, I believe, and still got in. Just thought I'd share that info; I wasn't indicating that getting there by 6 this year would guarantee one's admission, but rather that PAP's can get in at a later time than regular-ticket-holders. Sorry if I wasn't as clear as I meant to be.

Blog Entries

When Disney does capacity closures, first they stop selling tickets. The next step is to stop allowing new entries. In the past, they will allow APs entry still, along with reentries, but no regular ticket media. Finally, they stop all reentries when the fire marshall says no more. In the past, on a couple dates, they have set the capacity low enough to guarentee entry to on site guests (July 17, 2005.) The fire marshall will say that on this day, based on rides that are operating, walkways that are available, restaurants and shops open, this is the limit. Disney will lower that number to guarentee Club 33 members will be able to enter.

Last year, when it rained, I knew it was safe to leave the park and get reentery. The park was still busy but considerably lighter than most years. If you called last year during NYE day, they probably gave you that info based on the rain. The evening did fill up, we were back in the park by 5pm. Last year was not a normal year for NYE. It was the lightest year I had ever seen, as we have done this every year (except 2003) for about 8 years. Most years, even with PAPs, I will not risk getting locked out. (Only PAPs have entry on NYE. The rest are blacked out, and blackout tickets stop selling first.) If it is sunny this year, expect early closures.

Thanks for the extra info! I'm sure it will come in handy this time around.

The part about not selling tickets is not always true. We didn't have our tickets prior to arriving last New Years. We saw signs in the parking garage (we hadn't yet checked into our hotel) that said they were filled and no more tickets or entry. We thought, well, we still need to get our tickets for the other days, so we went over anyway. We bought our tickets and the lady at the counter told us "if you are buying multi day park hoppers they will still let you in, even when it says they are full and closed". Ummm..ok? Well, we were also meeting family there that were only buying 1 day tickets. So we assumed they were not able to get tickets or get in (again, all signs were saying that the parks were full and closed). We called their cell phones and they were actually at a ticket booth near us. They were able to get their tickets and still get in. I thought it was strange, but it worked. So I am not sure exactly how they are suppose to run the system when they are full.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by backsthepack
    The part about not selling tickets is not always true. We didn't have our tickets prior to arriving last New Years. We saw signs in the parking garage (we hadn't yet checked into our hotel) that said they were filled and no more tickets or entry. We thought, well, we still need to get our tickets for the other days, so we went over anyway. We bought our tickets and the lady at the counter told us "if you are buying multi day park hoppers they will still let you in, even when it says they are full and closed". Ummm..ok? Well, we were also meeting family there that were only buying 1 day tickets. So we assumed they were not able to get tickets or get in (again, all signs were saying that the parks were full and closed). We called their cell phones and they were actually at a ticket booth near us. They were able to get their tickets and still get in. I thought it was strange, but it worked. So I am not sure exactly how they are suppose to run the system when they are full.
    Last NYE they had all the signs up (they were actually up before the park opened), but due to the rain, they never had any closures. Crowds were the lightest I had seen ever on a NYE. But, go back to the posts about Veterans Day. The only ticket they sell during a closure is an AP.

Last year, the day before NYE, we were told at the gate of the parking garage that they were closed and no one would be admitted. That is what I was talking about, sorry for not being specific.

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar

Do the crowds usually carry over into the following days? We want to make a quick trip on the 2nd or 4th to see the decorations one more time, but hoping for light crowds.

Blog Entries

It depends on your version of "light". It will be lighter than the week before, but I would still expect summer type crowds. The football crowd probably won't head home til the 3rd, so maybe the 4th would be the best of the 2 days.

Thanks. We just went on the 5th and those were the lightest crowds I'd ever seen lol. I was hoping for that type of crowd, but maybe not.

How about that following weekend? We might have to transfer our trip to Saturday or Sunday.

Does anyone know if it's crowded on December 30th is Disneyland?
    THanks

who is this chick anyway?

Typically the week between Christmas and New Years is insanely busy. I know this because this year will be our 8th (or is it 9th??) year being there.

We dont mind the crowds because we expect them. But yeah, its crazy. The last three years have brought torrential, and most oftentimes miserable rains....I'll be the one sitting on a bench in the hub in front of the castle no matter how hard it rains on NYE, so if you are there stop by and say hi

We will be there from Christmas Day (25th) through the 3rd of January

Beach Balls in tow on NYE
    ~ Victoria ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mystycalchyk

Typically the week between Christmas and New Years is insanely busy. I know this because this year will be our 8th (or is it 9th??) year being there.

We dont mind the crowds because we expect them. But yeah, its crazy. The last three years have brought torrential, and most oftentimes miserable rains....I'll be the one sitting on a bench in the hub in front of the castle no matter how hard it rains on NYE, so if you are there stop by and say hi

We will be there from Christmas Day (25th) through the 3rd of January

Beach Balls in tow on NYE
    Hey! We will be coming in on the 23rd til the 3rd. And yes, its totally crazy. The Rose Bowl package for the Wolverines includes Disneyland on the 30th.

I usually have a bench in front of the castle (to the right) from noon on, but we are doing NOS this year.

who is this chick anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t
    Hey! We will be coming in on the 23rd til the 3rd. And yes, its totally crazy. The Rose Bowl package for the Wolverines includes Disneyland on the 30th.

I usually have a bench in front of the castle (to the right) from noon on, but we are doing NOS this year.

Yeah! I remember, you were right in front of us last year
    ~ Victoria ~