Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A totally different experience at the Parks

A totally different experience at the Parks

I am trying to mentally prepare myself for our trip to DL this May - it's sure to be a completely different experience for me & my DH. The two of us try to make the trek to California 1-2 per year (he indulges me) to go to the parks. This year, I will be pregnant when we are there. I thought about canceling our trip because I wondered what in the world I will do not being able to go on all my favorite rides - No Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, BTMRR, CA Screamin, etc...... We love to get to the park as soon as it opens and maximize our ride time all day long! That said, we are still going, and I will just have to appreciate some of the other great things about Disney parks (plus this will likely be the last time it's just the two of us there).

I would love to hear what people's "non thrill ride" favorites are at Disneyland. I may end up seeing DL in a different way.

Many thanks!!

Hi-Ho

2. # ADS

as being a APA holder my experiances are different compared to people that can only go once a year. But I have days were I spend more than 12 hours in the parks and end the day just riding one or no rides. Yeah weird. But there are tons to do, I mostly love to just walk around and people watch, or walk around DTD and the hotels just because, and I waste a lot of time in the animation room. I wouldn't worry theres always something to do. Also gives you time to do stuff you never did before like catch certain shows you wouldn't normaly waste your time with.

I know we will have a blast, like we always do. It's just hard to wrap my brain around being there and not going on many of the rides. Will just have to take things at a slower pace, and take time to sit and soak up the atmosphere.

I am trying to figure out why in the world soarin' would not be recommended for pregnant women?

Hi-Ho

Raising Future Disney Fans
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Ho
    I know we will have a blast, like we always do. It's just hard to wrap my brain around being there and not going on many of the rides. Will just have to take things at a slower pace, and take time to sit and soak up the atmosphere.

I am trying to figure out why in the world soarin' would not be recommended for pregnant women?
    I think Soarin' could cause some motion sickness which is why it not recommended.

Honestly going to DL when PG is a lot like going to DL with a baby, so you get a chance to get use dto the idea early. There is so much you can do, trust me, you will have fun. When I first took my DD (now 3) we only went on rides for her, we spent two days, never got bored and rode lots of rides, in fact I ended up riding things I had missed for many years because I was so obsessed with the power rides.

Take time in the gallery, ride all the dark rides and see more shows etc. There are definitely lots of things to do, its really only a handful of rides you cant do anyway.

Oh and BTW Congratulations!
    If its such a small world, why does it take 4 hours to fly from LA to Atlanta?

Thanks MollyTrolly! This trip will likely be a good reminder of just all there really is to experience there...guess it's easy to pigeon-holed into riding my faves!

I feel dumb asking this, but what is the gallery???

Hi-Ho

The "Gallery" is the Disney Gallery that is just above the entrance to Pirates of the Carribean. It is an art gallery that has different exhibits throughout the year. I make it a point to spend at least an hour or so each time I go (even if I have already seen the particular exhibit, it still doesn't get boring). There is also a nice little patio area that kind of gets you away from all the hustle and bustle and you can just enjoy the atmosphere.

It had originally been constructed as Walt & Roy's apartment but Walt died before it could come to fruition...on the Balcony you can see thier initials in the iron work. It really is a cool little place, one of my favorites in the park.

I usually go to the park quite a few times a year and have had an AP in the past (didn't renew yet this year) and so many times I walk away having done a very few of the "biggies" and those tend to be my favorite trips. Some of my favorite things to do:

~Watch the shows/bands:
    I could spend hours just walking around the park watching the entertainment on Main Street & New Orleans

~Ride things I don't typically do
    I went on the Mark Twain two trips ago for the first time in 10 years and it was a very cool experience because it was out of the norm.

~People watch
    I love sitting on Main Street in the little alcove by the lockers first thing in the morning eating a cinamon roll from the Blue Ribbon and watching people scurry past starting thier day with so much excitement in thier eyes.

~Window Shopping
    One time I made it a goal to hit EVERY store in Disneyland and check out everything they have. That ate up 3/4 of a day itself.

It's amazing how many things you can miss while you are waiting for an hour plus for one ride..

You just sent me on a mini-mental vacation! Makes me want to go now! Thanks for the great ideas of other ways to enjoy the park, SportyTink.

Blue Ribbon Bakery is the first stop we make upon entering. Yum!

Hi-Ho

Hi-Ho, you can go on all the Fantasyland rides, so you'll know where to take your baby on his/her first trip!

And you can just enjoy the California sunshine and eat lots of yummy stuff while saying "I'm eating for two now, I can have this churro!"

Oh, and you can look for cool stuff to buy for the baby.

True disneyrox....it will be easier to justify having another rice krispie mickey dipped in chocolate! Somehow at DL I find ways to justify those things anyway....there aren't any calories at DL! :-)

Hi-Ho

True disneyrox....it will be easier to justify having another rice krispie mickey dipped in chocolate! Somehow at DL I find ways to justify those things anyway....there aren't any calories at DL! :-)
    This is true...when we go to DL, my normally healthy-eating husband wants to buy mickey head ice creams at 10:00 am!

That's one of the best things about DL - all those rules can go right out the window!

Hi-Ho

If you are a fan of bad jokes/puns then you NEED to check out the Laughing Stock Players that perform IN FRONT of the Golden Horseshoe several time during the day. They do a variety of skits that "kind" of tell a whole story. It is old west humor with a twist. They also pull people from the audience to participate in the drama!! They are one of my favorite diversions when I am in Frontierland.

I STILL intend to watch the WHOLE cycle of shows one day..... Maybe on a Saturday when they perform 6 times - LOL

You know, I have seen them many times while passing by, but never stopped to watch. Good tip!

Hi-Ho

Quote Originally Posted by charpaul
    If you are a fan of bad jokes/puns then you NEED to check out the Laughing Stock Players that perform IN FRONT of the Golden Horseshoe several time during the day. They do a variety of skits that "kind" of tell a whole story. It is old west humor with a twist. They also pull people from the audience to participate in the drama!! They are one of my favorite diversions when I am in Frontierland.

I STILL intend to watch the WHOLE cycle of shows one day..... Maybe on a Saturday when they perform 6 times - LOL
    We tried so hard to do that last trip, watch all the shows in one day, I mean. I just love John Marshall from Billy Hill, but we only managed 3 of the shows in one day.
    Disneyland October 2005, January 2006, January 2007, January 2008, January 2010, February 2011 Disneyland and Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Disney Wonder, January 2012 Disneyland & DCL Mexican Riviera, February 2013 DCL Wonder B2B, February 2014 DCL Fantasy, February 2015 DCL Fantasy & WDW, February 2016 DCL Fantasy & WDW, May 2017 Disneyland, February 2018 Disneyland. Coming soon... February 2019 Disneyland

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Here are a few suggestions:

At DL:

Take a ride on the train and stay on for a round or two. That gives you a nice sit-down break, and there's a lot to see from the train, including the Grand Canyon and Primeval World. We don't often ride the train as a ride as opposed to just transportation, but it's fun when we do.

Go into the Opera House and spend some time looking at all the exhibits that are currently in there. They're fun to look at, especially with all the descriptive signs. Then you can enjoy the 50th film as well, if you haven't seen it yet, or even if you have.

In the late afternoon, go to Flag Retreat.

Relax on the porch on Main Street - it's a great place for people watching.

Stroll down Main Street and look at the names and descriptions on the windows. But space that out or you'll get a sore neck! Look inside the windows of each store - some of them have really cute decorations. I particularly enjoy the window decoration of the Hotel Marceline, which is right next to the entrance to the lockers in the middle of Main Street.

Enjoy the Tiki Room and the Jungle Cruise. Not sure if you'd be up for the treehouse, but if you are, look at everything. There are all kinds of details, and in the one room, if you touch the globe or the book (I forget which), the pictures change.

Enjoy the Aladdin and Jasmine storytelling.

Enjoy Billy Hill and Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe.

Have a nice trip around the Rivers of America on the Columbia or the Mark Twain.

Spend some time looking at all the nifty things in the Sparkly Store in NOS, aka Jewels d'Orleans.

Enjoy the Haunted Mansion.

Go to the Hungry Bear and sit upstairs waterside for a break. It's a great view of the Rivers of America (depending on what kind of scaffolding/fences they have up on/around Tom Sawyer Island) and very relaxing. Wave to the people on the boats going by.

Enjoy the Winnie the Pooh ride.

Spend some time in Toontown, looking at all the details on the buildings, on the sidewalks, everywhere. Play with the various "toys" in the area between the Five and Dime and Roger Rabbit. Have the husband stomp on the talking manhole cover.

For another break, go to Fantasia Gardens and relax there. It's fairly quiet with a nice view and sometimes, ducks to watch.

At DCA:

Go into the Animation Building and have a seat on one of the comfy couches and watch the cycle of animated movie segments in there. It's comfortable and fun and is also a nice break.

Enjoy Muppetvision 3D. Be sure to watch the scrolling LED in the waiting area. It's really funny!

Enjoy the Monsters ride.

Enjoy Aladdin the musical.

Sit by Tower of Terror and enjoyed the themed music, as long as the people aren't too loud. Enjoy the screams of the people on the ride, knowing you'll be able to go on it again next time.

Enjoy Heimlich's Chew Chew Train.

Go through the bread and tortilla exhibits. And get snacks there too!

Go on the non-moving car on the Sunwheel if you're not afraid of heights. (I don't think that has a pregnancy restriction. Can't imagine why it would.)

Enjoy Golden Dreams.

Stand by Grizzly River Rapids and watch the people get wet.

Around the resort:

Spend some time in the lobby and Hearthstone Lounge at the Grand Californian Hotel. It's very pretty in there and makes for a nice break.

Stroll through the shops at Downtown Disney.

And yes, there's always shopping and snacking.

Have a great trip!

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

In addition to what cstephens mentioned, try riding one (or all) of the Mainstreet vehicles, especially the top of the bus as it provides a unique perspective.

Brother, Sister, Friends yohomama212's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Soarin' Over California is fine for pregnant women. I haven't read any warnings about it and rode it for the first time on my birthday just a week and a half ago, while 24 weeks pregnant! Enjoy!

Liz
    Everything's different.

There's been tons of great suggestions. I just want to agree that you can love every moment of DL and not do a single "big" ride. We went for the first time ever in Mar 05. Our children were 2, 7 & 9 and on the timid/chicken side. I am also a chicken, and dh was neutral. We pretty much followed the leads of our kids and some suggestions from here as far as rides go. No Thunder, no Space Mtn, no Matterhorn, no Screamin, no Tower, heck- not even Pirates. Didn't matter a bit. We feel in love w/DLR... without those rides. It's all in your mind set. You'll have a great time!

nvmom

Note: we have progressed on rides since our first trip.

If you go to DCA make sure you check out Drawn to the Magic... when the show is in HPB I'll sit on the curb alone for 20 minutes just to watch it

Wow....thanks for all the fabulous suggestions! I really appreciate all of them. Love the idea of riding the mainstreet vehicles as that is something we have never taken the time to do! Also glad to hear that I will be able to go on Soarin!

What/where is Flag Retreat?

Hi-Ho

In Town Square, near the train station. They do it at sunset, which of course varies from day to day. It's really a very moving presentation.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    What/where is Flag Retreat?
    If you go to this trip report that I posted, scroll down about halfway through the October 22 section, past the Christmas merchandise stuff, and I've got a number of pictures of flag retreat posted.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Thanks cstephens...have never even heard of the flag retreat before. Very cool!

Hi-Ho

If you go often this will be a really good time for you to work out how to make it an enjoyable holidy with your beautiful new baby next time around! You can shop for some great additions for you nursery too.

HI There,

I echo everyone with making sure you watch the flag retreat ceremony. The time is listed online for the specific days so you may be able to check it out before you leave.

As everyone said ride the kiddie rides in Fantasyland. I just went on Storybook Land and Casey's Junior train for the first time in years. I enjoyed it.

Go to the petting zoo at Big Thunder ranch.

Watch the different bands perform. Some weekends there is a Swing Band at Carnation Pavilion on Main Street to the left of the castle. They're really good and some of the dancers are fantastic.

Go to Innoventions and watch Asimo the Robot. It's amazing what they can have robots do now.

Over in DCA watch California Dreams - it actually is an interesting perspective on California History (I'm a history buff). Watch Turtle Talk with Crush multiple times - the show is always different due to the interaction with the audience. Do the Drawn to Animation show different times - you'll draw different characters.

Watch the various shows and parades in each of the parks.

I like to take a book and go sit in the lobby of Grand California, in the outdoor redwood area when you enter from DTD, or on the back patio near storytellers.

If you haven't already done so - schedule a time to meet with the DVC people. They really don't high pressure you for the timeshares

Carolyn

Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney