Quantcast Overweight and Disneyland
  Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World | User Reviews | Travel
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Thread: Overweight and Disneyland

  1. #1

    Overweight and Disneyland

    The excitement we're feeling over our upcoming trip (only a week to go!!) must be contagious - a good friend of mine has been hearing me rattling on incessantly, and now wants to plan a surprise trip for her family in the spring!

    The only thing that made me sad was that she was worrying about whether she would have a good time. She is very overweight, and I know very self-concious about it. She's had strangers laugh at her in the grocery store parking lot , and I know incidents like this have chipped away at her self-esteem. I want so badly for her to go and have a wonderful time...I was telling her all about the "magic" of DL, and reiterating that attitude has SO much to do with the kind of time you have - but I know she's afraid that she'll be made to feel out of place (stared at, laughed at, etc.). I know these things can happen anywhere (people can be so mean!), but I hate to think they'd happen at DL, during what was meant to be a really special time for her and her family.

    I haven't been to the parks in a long time. Presumably, the majority of rides are accessible to someone who is quite overweight (250+)? Has anyone ever encountered nasty behaviour towards people of size? I know it can vary a lot based on the people in the park on any given day - it's tough, I guess I don't even know what exactly I'm hoping to have answered. Maybe just hoping someone can back me up in telling her that she can have a wonderful time at a special place like DL, regardless of her size. I'd love for her to be able to leave it behind her for a while, and just feel good I'd hate to encourage her to "just GO!!", and then find out she wasn't able to go on many of the rides, or felt really out of place.


  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Posts
     

  3. #2

    I would have said absolutely no one would say or do anything to make her uncomfortable, but then I never could have imagined someone laughing at her for her weight at the grocery store (or anywhere) so what do I know.


  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Legoland, CA (Carlsbad, CA)
    Quote Originally Posted by disneychick
    I haven't been to the parks in a long time. Presumably, the majority of rides are accessible to someone who is quite overweight (250+)? Has anyone ever encountered nasty behaviour towards people of size?
    These days the median weight of the parkgoers is probably 250 pounds. She will not stand out.

  5. #4
    Stuffed with Fluff 3894's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Winter Wonderland
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by The old man
    These days the median weight of the parkgoers is probably 250 pounds. She will not stand out.
    It is not. There is no typical Disneyland visitor. Disneyland is like everywhere. All shapes, sizes, and flavors are there.
    Insert passive aggressive sentence of your choice here.

  6. #5

    I gained a lot of weight this year (I was on prednisone for a rash) and I was more than a bit worried about this trip. I had no problems whatsoever, with either people or rides. There were a lot of people larger than me, and they seemed to have no problems on the rides, either. And I'm well into that 250+ category. Tell her that she may hear people laughing, but it probably won't involve her (people do laugh when they are having a good time). There are a few rides at Paradise Pier that are supposed to be difficult for large people, but I don't like those kinds of rides anyway, and had no trouble on any of the roller coaster/fast rides.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneychick
    I'd hate to encourage her to "just GO!!", and then find out she wasn't able to go on many of the rides, or felt really out of place.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Legoland, CA (Carlsbad, CA)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3894
    It is not. There is no typical Disneyland visitor. Disneyland is like everywhere. All shapes, sizes, and flavors are there.
    Please look up the definition of "median." No matter what the shape and size and "flavor" of people there is always a median. It probably isn't 250---but it's getting there.

  8. #7
    Stuffed with Fluff 3894's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Winter Wonderland
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by The old man
    Please look up the definition of "median." No matter what the shape and size and "flavor" of people there is always a median. It probably isn't 250---but it's getting there.
    I've been manipulating statistics to prove whatever I wanted since Tomorrowland was fun. That said, I assumed incorrectly that you didn't understand what you were talking about. Now that I know that you have an understanding of the word median, let's throw out the statistical outliers. What would the weight and height of the average DLer be, would you say?

    Finally, an application for math. I've been looking for one for over 40 years!
    Insert passive aggressive sentence of your choice here.

  9. #8
    It was a good day!
    MousePad Community Leader
    Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by disneychick
    Has anyone ever encountered nasty behaviour towards people of size?
    Only here on these boards. I wish the overweight fight would be kept out of here. We know certain posters prefer to harp on that.

    Now, that isn't going to help this poster right now. That said, your friend should be fine in Disneyland. Many have tips for rides, such as pulling out the lap belts prior to sitting down. The only ride some have commented on would be The Orange Stinger an Mullholland Madness, both are not recommended. Otherwise, belts and bars are designed large enough to handle over weight issues.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Clinton, UT
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t
    Only here on these boards. I wish the overweight fight would be kept out of here.
    I fully agree!!!
    ~*~ Jennifer ~*~

    DL Trips: 1983, 1989, 1992, 1997, 2006, 2009, 2010
    DLP: 2011
    WDW: 2013??

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Legoland, CA (Carlsbad, CA)

    Me too! I was just pointing out that her friend would not be out of place in DL.


  12. #11
    Fell On Black Days.....
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Rusty Cage

    I love the part about people laughing at Disneyland~

    Of course they are going to laugh at Disneyland! It is the happiest place on earth!!

    The only median I've noticed is people having a good time. You have some that have a bit of attitude {usually teens who'd rather be with their buddies}, babies and youngsters who probably need a nap or a bottle, and, some older folks who probably need a nap or bottle. But mostly everyone is happy. No matter what.

    Yes, the Orange Stinger is the only ride I've seen a weight limit on. But, that is one ride you couldn't pay me to go on.

    And, really, your friend will be fine.

    "Whomsoever I've cured, I've sickened now. Whomsoever I've cradled, I've put you down. I'm a search light soul, they say, but I can't see it in the night. I'm only faking when I get it right...cause I Fell On Black Days...How would I know this could be my fate?"

  13. #12

    Oops - sorry! I didn't realize this was a topic that should be avoided here - I wasn't intending to stir up any trouble, I just thought it was the best place to ask as I don't have enough experience in the parks to know for sure about the accessibility of rides, general attitudes of the people there, etc.

    DianeM, thanks for sharing - I'll definitely share what you've said with my friend


  14. #13
    Blogging at www.jookyg.com
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR

    I have a relative who is in the aforementioned weight range and it doesn't seem to prevent her from visiting at least once a month or so. She typically rents an ECV for the day due to knee problems and she always seems to have a great time, except when the parks really crowded and it's hard to get the ECV around.

    Obviously Orange Stinger and Mulholland Madness are out, but she's not missing much! There are a few other rides she has trouble on, mostly due to legroom (more padding in back means less space in front for legs and carry-ons). Space Mountain is tough, apparantly. Splash Mountain is less splashy with large riders if you go later in the day, when the water level's lower (I've never gotten so wet on that ride in my life, LOL!).

    There are PLENTY of attractions that aren't an issue at all. There's enough to do that anyone who's not too large to get into the parks and ambulate, on foot or ECV, should still have a fantastic time.

    I can't speak for the cruelty of others, though. I've read of some downright terrible behavior from guests, but in all my 30 years of attending Disneyland, I've only ever heard one cruel comment directed at my family member.


  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by The old man
    These days the median weight of the parkgoers is probably 250 pounds. She will not stand out.
    Dejavu
     

  16. #15
    Mamma to 4 girls
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona

    Hi disneychick...

    I sent you a private message.


  17. #16
    It was a good day!
    MousePad Community Leader
    Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1

    Disneychick,

    I sent you a PM, hope it helps.

    Planning 3 trips at once...

  18. #17

    Thanks, everybody


  19. #18

    Being plus sized myself I have never encountered any problems anywhere in Disneyland. I do go on Mulholland Madness with the kids and no problem there either. I have never tried the Stinger because I feel sick just thinking about spinning like that.

    Everyone is always very polite to me. In fact I have never had so many compliments in my life as we get at DLR. I often buy the matching outfits from Disney Shopping for our entire family to wear in the park. CM and quests alike go out of their way to tell us how nice we look. I used to think it was because we are a large family but last time we went with just our youngest daughter and still got the compliments.

    If anyone has ever been rude to me I was too busy having fun to notice.

    momuveight

  20. #19
    Shrinking for the better
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Durango CO
    Quote Originally Posted by disneychick
    Oops - sorry! I didn't realize this was a topic that should be avoided here
    This forum is for asking questions, getting information, sharing experiences. As such, this topic shouldn't be avoided-and you didn't stir anything up that unfortunately hasn't been stirred before. Don't worry!

    As a person who tipped the scale at 250-and only 5'0", I can so relate to this topic. My family and I have a blast at DL. Never felt out of place-or more out of place than anywhere else. As mentioned before, Stinger and MM are out-but I never felt like I was missing anything anyway. One thing your friend may not mention that may effect her visit-those turnstiles! There's a thread about it in the "accessiblities" forum. The CM's were always nice about letting me avoid those that needed to be avoided.

    Ask away-that's what MP is for IMO.

    Jan
    To DL or not to DL September 2010-that is the question....


  21. #20
    Stuffed with Fluff 3894's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Winter Wonderland
    Blog Entries
    3

    I've been thinking about this thread. Basically, any rude comments reflect much more on the person commenting than on the person being commented on.

    Insert passive aggressive sentence of your choice here.

  22. #21
    True HEARTed! Crazy4DL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where the heart is.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3894
    I've been thinking about this thread. Basically, any rude comments reflect much more on the person commenting than on the person being commented on.
    I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by momuvseven
    If anyone has ever been rude to me I was too busy having fun to notice.
    Me too!

  23. #22
    It was a good day!
    MousePad Community Leader
    Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by momuvseven
    Being plus sized myself I have never encountered any problems anywhere in Disneyland. I do go on Mulholland Madness with the kids and no problem there either. I have never tried the Stinger because I feel sick just thinking about spinning like that.
    For me, MM just doesn't have enough leg room. The Stinger actually has a weight limit of 200 lbs.

    Quote Originally Posted by momuvseven
    Everyone is always very polite to me. In fact I have never had so many compliments in my life as we get at DLR. I often buy the matching outfits from Disney Shopping for our entire family to wear in the park. CM and quests alike go out of their way to tell us how nice we look. I used to think it was because we are a large family but last time we went with just our youngest daughter and still got the compliments.

    If anyone has ever been rude to me I was too busy having fun to notice.
    I have never had someone be rude to me or have anything negative at Disneyland. My kids are at the age I can't get them to do the matching thing, they just roll their eyes at me. Generally, everyone at Disneyland is in such an upbeat mood. I'm the type, I talk to everyone. And then MickeyDogMom will roll her eyes at me, and younger ones will tell me I am a dork... BUT, I have a BLAST!
    Planning 3 trips at once...

  24. #23

    Thanks for all your responses - I've been passing everything on to my friend, and from the sounds of the e-mail I got back this morning, she's FINALLY feeling more excited than nervous!

    I wholeheartedly agree that the comments reflect more on the person saying them than the person they are directed to - I can, though, also completely understand that it's easier to say that (and believe it!) when you aren't the person the comments are directed at. I still seethe with fury when I think of someone laughing at her - pointing and LAUGHING - in a parking lot. People can just be so insensitive at times.

    At any rate, I do appreciate all of you who've seen my post for what it is -a request for information and help. And you certainly have helped....so thank you


  25. #24
    It was a good day!
    MousePad Community Leader
    Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by disneychick
    Thanks for all your responses - I've been passing everything on to my friend, and from the sounds of the e-mail I got back this morning, she's FINALLY feeling more excited than nervous!

    I wholeheartedly agree that the comments reflect more on the person saying them than the person they are directed to - I can, though, also completely understand that it's easier to say that (and believe it!) when you aren't the person the comments are directed at. I still seethe with fury when I think of someone laughing at her - pointing and LAUGHING - in a parking lot. People can just be so insensitive at times.

    At any rate, I do appreciate all of you who've seen my post for what it is -a request for information and help. And you certainly have helped....so thank you
    I am so glad your friend can go. I have a very dear friend, with 2 children, whose has never taken them to Disneyland because of the issues you have stated. She worries about will bars fit her, lapbelts fit, can she fit thru areas without embarressing her kids. She will hopefully be taking her first trip this spring also. I gave her the same info I PMed you. There is very little she cannot do at Disneyland.

    People can be very insensitive and often don't think about other's feelings. But at Disneyland, I think everyone is so into the surroundings, it cultivates a more accepting attitude. I hope your friend can go and enjoy the magic, and forget about the people who were ignorant in that parking lot.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

  26. #25

    [QUOTE=Malcon10t] The Stinger actually has a weight limit of 200 lbs.

    Are you sure this is the weight limit for the Stinger!!!??? My DH loves that ride and he is a big big man, 6'4" tall and I am sure he is around 205 or 210 lbs. He has gone on this over and over and we never noticed a weight limit sign.

    Ugh-I will be sad if this is true because I don't really like the ride so he always takes the kids and I get to sit out. If this in true, I will have to ride with them-oh no!!

    I really don't like the ride-for some reaon, the last two times I was on it with the whole family, I was next to a stranger and upon "landing" our swings banged together and mashed my finger!!!I watched the next time fearing for dd that someone would bang into her swing and she would get hurt! Just looking at it, I wouldn't think the swings could even touch each other so I was shocked to get my finger smashed. Anyone else know and is there a trick to avoid this? I was not twisting back and forth or anything and as far as I could tell, neither were the other people who banged into me.


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •