Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I found Monorail "Blue" today!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries

Robmustang, would it be ok with you if I included some of those photos in the Park Update tomorrow?

2. # ADS

yes it is fine with me.

Trips to Disneyland May 1990, Sept. 2000, May 2003, November 2005, May 2006, march 2007, June 2007, August 2007, next September 2008 (Disney World)

JAFO
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Just a postscript to Corral and Lime, the two WDW Mark IV monorails that ended up on cinder blocks in a southern Nevada storage yard... Shortly after the pictures were taken, I understand they were purchased and moved by a company also involved with the Seattle Monorail project. I havent checked sources in sometime; I'll let you know if I find anything new; there's probably more story to tell.

so what i'd liek to know is are they useing any of the old chassis or anything? and will the new monorails be running by june-julyishh?

Cool

Okay, I'm gonna be real nosy here...

I live in Langley, and am wondering where you saw this? I would love to get a peek at them if they're still around.

Care to share?

"My mind may wander, but at least it gets out once in a while!"

If I had to guess at the location.....

I'd bet that this is the large industrial complex right next to North Fraser Pre-Trial Centre in Po-Co.....the address of the correctional centre is :

1451 Kingsway Avenue
    Port Coquitlam, British Columbia

I think the monorail is in the yard to the left of the jail, when facing the jail from Kingsway Ave.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong....but I've seen that grey building in the background somewhere before.

Ciao,
    Craigster

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "Reasoning is partly insane,
    Image just an eyeless game..."

BINGO! yup it's right next to the jail

Trips to Disneyland May 1990, Sept. 2000, May 2003, November 2005, May 2006, march 2007, June 2007, August 2007, next September 2008 (Disney World)

Quote Originally Posted by Monoraillover
    so what i'd liek to know is are they useing any of the old chassis or anything? and will the new monorails be running by june-julyishh?

AS POSTED BY chrisaustx in a earlier post
    I read the bid proposal from WDI months ago that was posted online. This company in Canada was hired to seperate the undercarriage from the body of the monorail. The next step for the monorail is for the 1967 undercarriage to be refurbished, and joined with the new monorail bodies that are being made in Jaurez, Mexico. The next step might be for the old monorail blue body to be crushed/recycled, and the under carriage to be joined with the new monorail body being made in Mexico by TPI Composites. I don't know if this company in Canada was hired to just do the separation of the under carriage, or if they will do the whole job of rehabbing the 1967 undercarriage. If Robsmustang sees the undercarriage being packed on a truck and the shell of monorail blue remaining, then we know the new monorail will be constructed someplace else.
    Robsmustang, if you see any large sections wrapped in large white shrink wrap type packaging, please take lots of photos of them. It looks like the new nose cones for the new monorail are wrapped in white shrink wrap, and are being propped up by a wooden base. So if you see anything else that looks bigger than this, that is large and shrink wrapped, please take some photos. This is one of the sections of the 1967 undercarriage, you can see on the ends how it was ripped out.
    http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/photos/99107375-S.jpg

take more pics lol

5 Miles from the DLR

I did a crude annoation of the photo Robsmustang took in Canada of the monorail undercarriage. I identifed what the parts are on the undercarriage in the photo. The two large tires actually sit on top of the rail, there are 4 side tires that hug the side of the beam, but the blue tarp is covering them.
    Well I hope my notes on the photo give a better picture as to what Robsmustang took a photo of.
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...escription.jpg

i will try to take some more pics this weekend. i think i know where the other nose cone is.

so are they gunna just put the same undercagie on or like rebuild like and i dentiacal 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Monoraillover
    so are they gunna just put the same undercagie on or like rebuild like and i dentiacal 1.

i believe they will just rebuild the existing undercarage

5 Miles from the DLR

WDI thought it would be too expensive to build a completely new monorail, most of the expense being the undercarriage. So it was decided last year to use the undercarriage from Red, Blue and Purple and rebuild all the parts. The monorail undercarriages have been traveling on the monorail beam way since 1967. In 1987/88 the undercarriages were ripped off the 1960's vintage monorails and fitted to the present monorail fleet. Now in 2006/07 the 1980's monorails will be ripped off the undercarriage and fitted to the 2000's monorail fleet. I doubt that the engineers back in 1967 could have conceived that their design and workmanship would last 40+ years.

so there only gunna have3 trains? or there gunna make 1 complet fresh 1?

Welcome to PortRoyal Mr.Smythe TimBuk2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does anybody know if these Monorail's were built by Bombardier in Canada? Just wondering why they are in Canada, and how the heck did they get them all the way there ? A heck of a ride.

How about 3 schillings and we forget the name.

Welcome to Port Royal, Mr. Smythe!

See Pirates of the Caribbean World Premiere Photos

flat bed trucks.

any updates or more pics?

i will get some this weekend

5 Miles from the DLR

WDI went the cheap way with the monorail, I saw into the windows of the monorail roundhouse the other day from the freeway on ramp, and Red and Purple are sitting in there. One of the monorails had all the side panels in the up position. Instead of buying new monorails, they are just going to fix up the old undercarriage with new parts. Its like fixing up a old 66 Mustang with a new engine and new parts. I think monorail Orange was trashed and that is why they will only have three trains. I would rather have 3 rebuilt 1966 monorails at Disneyland, than 4 broken down trains that don't run anymore. The motors, tires, electric system and possibly a/c, should all be new in the monorails, but the undercarriage is from 1966. Trains are not cheap to make, transit systems such as BART in the Bay Area, did the same thing with their train cars, just rebuilt the 1971 technology cars with new parts. WDI may have bought another 10 years of service with the monorail fleet, but eventually the 1966 technology won't cut it anymore, and new trains will have to be built. This company in Canada will probabbly rebuild the undercarriage, install new electric, tires, weld cracks in the metal, etc. The new unibody sections of the monorail will be coming from Mexico, and will be bolted to the undercarriage, then you will have a Mark6 monorail, new body, rebuilt undercarriage, then back to Disneyland.

So one train was sent to Canada for a rebuild of the undercarriage and install of a new body, one train is being scrapped and two trains are just getting new parts -- is that what you are saying? So one train will be an all new body design while two others are the older design?

Quote Originally Posted by robsmustang
    i will get some this weekend
    yesssssssssssss

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar
    So one train was sent to Canada for a rebuild of the undercarriage and install of a new body, one train is being scrapped and two trains are just getting new parts -- is that what you are saying? So one train will be an all new body design while two others are the older design?
    when blue is finnished and sent back to DL, either red or purple will be sent out to be redone and so on. as for orange i dont know what will ever happen to it. maybe just scrap.