Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wait, Sinkhole In Wrong Area!

If I'd shell out $10, I'd be a

Whoa! Wait, Sinkhole In Wrong Area!

I Was Reading an old artical that Mr. Koeing wrote, and I saw this:

"At least one sub had damaged its sail when traveling across this section. The water level in the lagoon has to be maintained to prevent a large sinkhole from collapsing underneath Innoventions, which would take out Autopia and Rocket Rods as well. Attempts to seal this hole have all failed, mostly due to the porous soil, so Disney pumps something like 50,000 gallons of water per day into this mess to keep things 'stable.' Each year, the amount of water necessary grows, and nothing can or will be done about it."
    I always thought the sinkhole was under the Matterhorn. Or are there two???

2. # ADS

Karen's assistant

Me too! Clarify for us someone!

Spare Me...

eek! I too would like clarification on this matter!

If anything bad happens... just blame Eisner!

Ruler, The (Disney) Lands

sinkhole.......?

"Without the playing with fantasy, no creative work has every yet come to birth. The debt we owe to the play of imagination is incalculable." - Carl Jung

This is not Florida. California doesn't have a karst landscape that just gives way after the calcium carbonate is eroded. Give me a break about the bogus sinkholes. Land subsidance maybe, but there has to be someone pumping water out of the ground AND all of Disneyland Resort would be affected.

The only thing sinking in Tomorrowland is attendance.

I suppose these same people believe that California is going to neatly break off at the state boundary and float into the ocean with the next "Big One." Jees---American Education is in need of help.

unforgiven
    Originally posted by DZNEENUT
    This is not Florida. California doesn't have a karst landscape that just gives way after the calcium carbonate is eroded. Give me a break about the bogus sinkholes. Land subsidance maybe, but there has to be someone pumping water out of the ground AND all of Disneyland Resort would be affected.

The only thing sinking in Tomorrowland is attendance.

I suppose these same people believe that California is going to neatly break off at the state boundary and float into the ocean with the next "Big One." Jees---American Education is in need of help.
    ha, nice. I'd put that in my signature, the part about the sinking attendance, but I'm too lazy. maybe later.

Karen's assistant
    Originally posted by DZNEENUT

Could you BE any more rude?
    Spare Me...

I could be more rude.

Fell On Black Days.....

Well, I could believe it if Disneyland were closer to the ocean.

The Convention center here has to pump water 24/7 to prevent it from flooding, or whatever they are preventing. Pumps going at all time.

But, can't there be sink holes anywhere? I mean, they happen at a moments notice anywhere. Including inland. My neighborhood had one not too long ago, huge one. No where near the ocean.

Yes, things get taken to an extreme but there should be some basis to it.

And, California is going to break off. Who knows when but that is how all of the continents were formed. A lot of blah blah blah but it is eventually going to be. Probably not in our lifetime, though. Come on, don't you watch PBS or the Discovery Channel?

And, American Education, that is another story. Don't even get me started.

I am chomping at the bit to homeschool my youngest. I could offer him so much more, and also the social interaction. They cut so much from public school. Grrr. Hubby doesn't want me to. I will wait until the two oldest are finished with school and then try my argument again. {3 more years!}

"Whomsoever I've cured, I've sickened now. Whomsoever I've cradled, I've put you down. I'm a search light soul, they say, but I can't see it in the night. I'm only faking when I get it right...cause I Fell On Black Days...How would I know this could be my fate?"

Less angry than advertised
    Originally posted by MouseWife

And, California is going to break off. Who knows when but that is how all of the continents were formed. A lot of blah blah blah but it is eventually going to be. Probably not in our lifetime, though. Come on, don't you watch PBS or the Discovery Channel?
    Just for the record, the San Andreas Fault is a slip-strike fault. So, technically, dzneenut is right. A very small sliver of California that includes Los Angeles is slowly sliding northward, but remaining adjacent to the rest of the land mass. I figure in a few million years, the Dodgers and Giants will once again be crosstown rivals, but there is no lateral motion and California is NOT breaking off into the ocean.

As for the sinkhole, I have never heard of it and cannot vouch for the validity either way. However, while California as a whole is not very susceptable to sinkholes, they have been known to occur. Plus, the developed land that is Disneyland is not exactly in its natrual state. Who's to say that the heavy construction, not to mention the addition of a rather large amount of water that was not there before, has not compromised the stability of the land?

Spaced out on sensation
    Sink Holes Can Be Dangerous, Especially For Goats!

(if you read it - be sure to read to the end)

Originally posted by lillas
    I could be more rude.
    You could also learn to spell.

SEMPER FI

<b>not</b>

Sempre fi

Mousewife- perhaps the water the convention center has to constantly pump out is the water leakink from DL! Now we know where the sink hole leads!!!

Also, if you can get Mr. Moueswife (don't tell him I said that to go with you on the home schooling idea I think you will be surprised at what a difference it makes. We did it for a year for our ADD son to get him on track (and off medication) and I'm so glad we did. So if you think it will help, find the support to help you ( ie: home school groups, church groups, and suppliers of curriculum and materials) and then get together with hubby to let him know your not doing it alone (if you haven't already done this) . Just sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, but wanted to let you know it help in our situation, and we only did it for one year!

Fell On Black Days.....
    Originally posted by RStar
    Mousewife- perhaps the water the convention center has to constantly pump out is the water leakink from DL! Now we know where the sink hole leads!!!

Also, if you can get Mr. Moueswife (don't tell him I said that to go with you on the home schooling idea I think you will be surprised at what a difference it makes. We did it for a year for our ADD son to get him on track (and off medication) and I'm so glad we did. So if you think it will help, find the support to help you ( ie: home school groups, church groups, and suppliers of curriculum and materials) and then get together with hubby to let him know your not doing it alone (if you haven't already done this) . Just sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, but wanted to let you know it help in our situation, and we only did it for one year!
    LOL, that might be!!

Mr. MouseWife, , yeah, he would love that!!!

Well, I did homeschool my son when he was in 8th grade. I LOVED it!! {pretty much the same reason as you} I enjoyed the time with him and I enjoyed learning again myself!! We did the fieldtrips and the classes they offered. Working with him brought him up in his self-esteem big time. Being lost in a class of 50 kids didn't help him at all.

Actually, while I would love to do it right this minute, I want to finish up on the two older kids. My dream is to homeschool him and travel.

I really feel he is losing his edge in school. They don't expect enough out of them and then the time wasted in waiting.

I am glad that you, too, had a good experience. I think it brought my son closer to me at a time when a lot of kids are pulling away from their kids.

Okay, Ghoulish Delight-
    I actually think that is what I learned. Okay, so I would rather watch the Travel Chanel or A Baby's Story than anything serious like that. :o

Okay, truth, I either was FORCED to watch it or I happened to catch it while passing by the living room................. I miss Americas Scariest Places.

How we have lasted 20 years, I'll never know.
    "Whomsoever I've cured, I've sickened now. Whomsoever I've cradled, I've put you down. I'm a search light soul, they say, but I can't see it in the night. I'm only faking when I get it right...cause I Fell On Black Days...How would I know this could be my fate?"

The Big One

Speaking of "the big one"
    We in Santa Cruz had a quake just 2 days ago
    It was a 5.2 at or around 9:59pm
    Scared the *&#@ out of me (parden my upper cases)
    I hope you people in the DL area did't feel it.
    Please tell me you didn't...
    I don't want anymore of those.TOO scary.
    See you soon, DL, 5 more days and counting.

For those of you not familiar with where Disneyland is located, it is only several miles from the current path of the Santa Ana River and is located in an area that was once part of that river's estuary and that has for quite some time been identified as a potential "liquifaction zone" should a major earthquake disturbe the water table in that area. Since the composition of the soil is basically an old riverbottom (sand and silt), the soil could become extremely unstable if water is introduced into it. A large part of Orange County is like this, stretching all the way from Orange down to Huntington and Seal Beaches.

That there might be an issue with soil under a part of Disneyland seems very possible given the nature of geology of Anaheim and Orange County .................

Hb Tigger Fan
    There are different acceptable spellings depending on your intent. If I were attempting to refer to the USMC you would be correct.

Spaced out on sensation
    Originally posted by lillas
    Hb Tigger Fan
    There are different acceptable spellings depending on your intent. If I were attempting to refer to the USMC you would be correct.
    Oh- of course:
    one the one hand...
    Semper Fidelis !

The motto of the Marine Corps is Semper Fidelis, Latin
    for "always faithful" .Until 1871 it was "First to Fight",
    a motto that still applies. Through the years, Marines have shortened it to Semper Fi, and
    "Semper Fi, Mac" is the universal Marine Greeting.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand...

sempre (smpr)
    adv. Music

In the same manner throughout. Used chiefly as a direction.

.fi
    abbr.

Finland (in Internet addresses).
    ------------------------------------------------------------

So you must be referring to music and how it's going chiefly going in the direction of finland?

As far a liquifaction goes...it has NOTHING to do with water or the water table..... you do not need to introduce water to soil for this to happen.... to imagine liquifaction... take a box of small blocks.. put some objects on top of those blocks and shake it back and forth.... ( simulate some S waves) what will happen is that the blocks will not stay together, and things can sink into it... as if it turned to quicksand ( without the water). Once the shaking stops.. the blocks fall back into place, leaving a ( somewhat) stable surface ( and stuff still stuck inside of it). Also, on Disneyland being in a liquifaction area.. it is NOT, check USGS Survey maps. Disneyland is not on an area considered subject to liquifaction... ( but it is also not too far from an affected area). finaly, Sinkholes... THere are quite a few in central and northern California.. I cant say about So. Cal, but in the Sierras, and in the north coast/Cascade Range, they are all over the place. We just lost a bench, a lampost, and a maint. shed to a sinkhole at our local community college. So they are out there...

Last edited by polar12; 05-16-2002 at 11:06 AM.

Originally posted by polar12
    finaly, Sinkholes... THere are quite a few in central and northern California..
    Thank you for saying that...I could've sworn there was one in San Francisco not too long ago that took out a home and part of a street but hearing that there are no sinkholes in Ca made me question if I remembered it correctly.

Oh and one for Dzneenut: Soil subsidance does not need to affect the entire park...pumping water from the water table faster then the rate of recharge can cause a cone of depression in the water table. This cone of depression can cause soil subsidence in an area as small as 10 feet... so, it could cause soil to settle underneath one area of an attraction making it SEEM like a sinkhole to people who havent been trained in geology... doesnt make the sinkhole bogus, just wrong nomenclature used to say what it is.

justagirl

Don't forget other languages spellings. Maybe look in something other than the American Heritage dictionary.

I'll play nice now
    Last edited by HBTiggerFan; 05-16-2002 at 06:20 PM.

It may be my wounded inner child.

I Promise