Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to enter Disney's Dreams Giveaway contest without going to the Parks-Step by Step

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to enter Disney's Dreams Giveaway contest without going to the Parks-Step by Step

Starting this Monday, September 18th, 2006, Disney is opening up the alternative means of entry for the Year of a Million Dreams contest (Which really is the 15 months of 1.25 Million Prizes), This post will walk you thru the way to win prizes from the comfort of your own home.

The following is based on the Official Rules, which can be found at this link...

http://www.disneyparks.com/rules

A couple of things to note, the limit of entering is One per Person per day (that the post office is open), it is not limited to one per household, so you can sign up for each member of the family (including kids of any age).

First off, are you eligible? Folks that work for Disney and their immediate family are not eligible, along with folks associated with the contest. If you are not sure, check the exact info in the link above (Paragraph 1).

Where do you live?.... This contest is open to folks of many countries. If you live in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom, you are eligible unless prohibited by state or local law. This step-by-step list is good for those who live in the US, if you live elsewhere, verify the info in the official rules, for example, those living in the U.K. have a different address to send their postcards in.

OK, you are eligible and ready to enter, first thing we need are the supplies.

You are looking at about 400 "postal days" between 9/18/06 and 12/31/07 (no entries on Sundays or Postal Holidays), so you will need about 400 of each of the following for each person in the household you plan to enter.

First off, the Postcards, the best and cheapest option is to buy Postcards from the Post Office that already had the postage placed on them. In the US, the current postal rate is 24 cents for a postcard, the postcards with postage are 26 cents each, and come in packs of 10. I would get about a month at a time ($7.80), this will end up costing you about (unknown if postal rates will go up) $120 for the entire contest (per person).

Buy some self-sticking printer labels from the local Office Supply store.

And of course, a pen.

Go to your word processing program and set up a page to print a full sheet of labels based on the size you got.

You will want the following to print on each label.

Disney Dreams Giveaway
    PO Box 8629
    Elmhurst, IL 60126-8629

Go ahead and place these sticker on the front of the postcard, underneath the postage, in about the middle of the card.

Then, turn it over, and rotate the card, so that you have the card at 5 inches long (top to bottom). You want to write your info in the opposite direction of the front of the card, as sometimes the post office (and their automated machines) will read the back of the card if it is written with the card only 3 and 1/2 inches tall. This will prevent you from having the card mailed back to you, instead of being sent to Elmhurst.

On the back of the card, fill in the following IN HANDWRITING (Block Printing is the best), this is a common rule in contests, and the Disney Dreams rules say "writing", do NOT use a printed label. (of course, use your full name, complete mailing address including postal code, daytime phone number and date of birth).

John M. Smith

1234 Main Street

Anaheim, CA 92802-2309

(714) 555-1212

02/20/1960

Then separate the cards in groups so you have one Postcard for each member of the family in a stack. Make sure and mail them at the same time every day, as you need to get a postmark for each Postal Day.

So, what to expect if you decided to spend the $120 or so to win.

Well, the odds of winning any prize are about 1 in 60, so you should win about 5 prizes. No guarantees, but statically most folks should get at least 4 prizes during the 15 month period.

What will you win, well, most prizes will be Dream Mouse Ears worth about $12 or the Pin and Lanyard set worth about $23.

We know you won't get a Dream FASTPASS, the after hour pass, the Photo Voucher or the night at Cinderella Castle at WDW or the Disneyland Hotel Suite. The rules clearly state they will substitute prizes if the winner needs to be present at the park to use the prize. So many of the lower level prizes (such as the Dream FASTPASS) will be substituted with Dream Mouse Ears and the Pin and Lanyard set. For things like the Hotel Rooms, you will get a Merchandise Gift Basket, (that might contain a Disney Gift Card) that is worth at least the value of the prize that was actually won.

Of course, for the big prizes like the DVC points, or the 2 week vacation to every Disney Park, you will get that prize (basically any prize that includes the airfare).

So you are basically gambling, but the odds are better than playing the lottery, you will more than likely get just under $100 in prizes for your $120 investment.

But the benefit, you will get an occasional unexpected gift in the mail.

Based on the cost and the prizes, I plan to do this, and also do it for Lisa. Heck, you might get lucky and win a vacation......
    Check out my photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Figuring out the mom thing

Darkbeer, if I remember right, the 1 in 60 odds calculation was based on park attendance. If that's the case, the mail-in entries will decrease the probability.

Another piece that might decrease the likelihood of winning by mail would be how Disney will determine when to choose a mail-in entry over a park attendee. If I were designing it, "mail-bag" would be in the list of locations to find winners (along with "bench at 11:42", "SM line at 1:30", etc). In that case, you'd have a better chance of winning while at the parks because you'd be in proximity to more of the locations.

Based on these thoughts, I'll still send mail entries, but probably not every day.

Darkbeer, do we have to register online someplace first before sending in our postcards?

Quote Originally Posted by rentayenta
    Darkbeer, do we have to register online someplace first before sending in our postcards?
    No, the Disney Dreams Giveaway (aka the 15 months of 1.25 million prizes (aka dreams) has no sort of Internet component. You either fill out the postcards and mail them in, or show up at the parks (or Downtown Disney) and hope someone comes up and gives you a prize.

No need to register, but make sure and use "real" names, since if you win a major prize, you will be required to show ID and get a notarized statement that states you are eligible to win (such as not working at Disney, or have a immediate family member that does).

I scanned an example of a completed Postcard....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1902346

FYI, Wal-Mart had 300 labels at $4, and 750 labels for $9.

By the way, here are the apprioximate odds if you mail in a Postcard on a daily basis from now until 12/31/07.

1 in 2,735 of winning a High level prize (Worth more than $5,000)

1 in 139 of winning a Mid level prize (Worth between $160 and $587)

Should win 7 or 8 Low level Prizes (Worth less than $25) (Calculations are 7.6 prizes).

Darkbeer,
    Thanks for all the help on how to enter the dreams giveaway. I mailed off my first postcards today (didn't have everything ready in time for yesterday's mail).

ok finally!

i hope everyone reads this, ive been looking for all this info. but maybe you shoould only send a couple postcards in so everyone has a chance???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by minnieme3
    i hope everyone reads this, ive been looking for all this info. but maybe you shoould only send a couple postcards in so everyone has a chance???!!!
    Everyone has a chance..... They have the same right to send in ONE postcard per postal DAY like everyone else.

Check out this website.... http://adestinations.disney.go.com/m...YOMDPrizesText

It has the answers to any questions.

Mouse 20....Interesting to note, all your post have been related to the "15 months of 1.25 Million Prizes", in which over 99.9% re low level prizes.....

Do you work for Disney Parks

Hi Darkbeer.
    First let me say, I love your updates. I always look to your posts for reliable information. Thank you also for taking the time to post all the info on Yoamd. I have already begun sending in postcards.
    Here's my question. As I'm thinking about the odds of winning through the mail, I wonder if you left out one variable. If I understand this correctly, just like a one in 60 chance of being picked for a prize in the park, there is a one in 60 chance of a mail entry being awarded. But then don't our individual odds go way up? Because once they (the random computer) decide to give out the prize to a mail entry, then they have to pick a mail entry from however many they have? In other words one in 60 for it to be a mail prize, but then 1 in ? for your postcard to be picked out of the mail prizes.
    Does that make sense? You have put a lot more thought into this then I have so maybe I'm missing something. Just wondering if you knew what. Thanks again!
    Tammy

Has anyone won YOAMD by mail?

We have been mailing in postcards everyday. My kids ask everyday to see if we have won. Has anyone won anything by mail?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kohl
    We have been mailing in postcards everyday. My kids ask everyday to see if we have won. Has anyone won anything by mail?
    According to the rules, the first drawing, for eveyone entering between Sept and Oct 31st will be Nov. 20th. So, I don't expect to hear if anyone won until at least after Thanksgiving. Dec 20th will be the drawing for all who entered In Nov. adn so on.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Go ahead and place these sticker on the front of the postcard, underneath the postage, in about the middle of the card.

Then, turn it over, and rotate the card, so that you have the card at 5 inches long (top to bottom). You want to write your info in the opposite direction of the front of the card, as sometimes the post office (and their automated machines) will read the back of the card if it is written with the card only 3 and 1/2 inches tall. This will prevent you from having the card mailed back to you, instead of being sent to Elmhurst.

On the back of the card, fill in the following IN HANDWRITING (Block Printing is the best), this is a common rule in contests, and the Disney Dreams rules say "writing", do NOT use a printed label. (of course, use your full name, complete mailing address including postal code, daytime phone number and date of birth).
    I'm confused by your photo example of a completed card...

wouldn't you only want YOUR handwritten info on the back of the card? The photo looks like BOTH Disney and YOUR info are written lengthwise on the back.

Am I just looking at the picture incorrectly?

Also, I guess you could also add a large, "TO:" next to the Disney address (and, likewise, a big, "FROM:" next to YOUR address.

^The photo example is showing BOTH sides.

The top half is the front, with the Postage and the printed label.

The back side, on the bottom, is the handwritten stuff.

Since the printed address is on the "postage" side, there should be no need to have the "TO:" on it, especially when you write you information on the back "sideways".

What will happen if for exsample if two of your entries get postmarked the same day (although you mailed them different days). I have had this happen before with other mail. Will disney just void that day or all days from that day on?

I was thinking the same thing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samtron
    What will happen if for exsample if two of your entries get postmarked the same day (although you mailed them different days). I have had this happen before with other mail. Will disney just void that day or all days from that day on?
    I dont know what Disney does, but other companies generally only void all received that particular day.

Okay, I've entered every day (4 times each day- one for each family member), and no luck so far. Anyone else have any luck?

Smile We Won!

We found this link and started sending in postcards in October. I am sending four a day, one for each family member. This week we got our registered letters and got two lanyards. We may start pin trading. It was good to see some people winning but better to get prizes in the mail.

We also got a Mickey Ice Cream Bar at EPCOT during our last trip in October. We were doing the International Food Thing and a vender asked us if he could give our 4 year old ice cream, it was nice he asked if she was lactose intolerant or something it could have been a melt down. She really loved it.

We are keeping the cards going. At a dollar a day postage, about $6 a month I think we are doing OK. So far the cards have been free, we had a drawer full of old 5X8 note cards that cut up easily. I did break down and bought address stickers, too much writer's cramp.

We will be at Disney World again in February so any tips on finding prize squad are appreciated. I am waiting to hear someone win a mid-level prize and will let everyone know when we win the timeshare. Keep dreaming.

Whoa! Correction

I did the math wrong it is closer to $25 a month postage for 4. But it is fun and when we win big. Still dreaming.

Ears

We got a pair of ears today. Does anyone know if these are comming from the December drawing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vincarol
    We got a pair of ears today. Does anyone know if these are comming from the December drawing.
    Considering how late the stuff began arriving from the Oct drawing, I would say we wont start seeing Nov stuff for at least another week.

I just got 2 pairs of ears, but one came in a smaller box (6 by 6 by 6) - $6.08 postage , both WDW versions.

Lisa got a WDW Pin Lanyard today also. These might be the November prizes, the drawing would have been around December 20th, and they might have held it a couple of days early due to the holidays.

Anyways, that is a total of 9 prizes so far between the two of us.

What has Darkbeer won?

Hi, This message is for Darkbeer...I saw your posting a while ago about the mail-in entries for the YOMD. Thanks for the all the great info. I'm wondering how many/what prizes you have won so far and if you think the odds of winning/percentage is holding true?
    Thanks!
    kansaskix