Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: GAC at WDW

GAC at WDW

i have read all the info about the GAC they issue at WDW but i still have a few questions. I have a slight mobility problem along with a BPD that make sme nervous with crowds. I am unsure if they would issue a GAC to me as i don't have a doctors letter. I know there are differing types of GAC but i would prefer to be away from the crowds whilst waiting for my family to go through the lines. Can they do this for me. Sometimes i feel that as i am mobile but not enough to do WDW (Its a big place) people are looking at me and thinking that i 1 of those line jumpers. This makes the BPD worse and i get more upset. Any ideas if a GAC would be helpful. But i couldn't deal with a CM quizzing me about my illness whilst i am asking for the GAC. (Pressure makes me worse and i start to get paranoid and i don't want to spoil my families holidays or mine) Its hard enough for me to get there without being quizzed about how ill i actually am. I may have a mental health problem but i am entitled to be treated as a human being. Thanks for listening to me rant but i dearly want this holiday to ge well for my kids sake.

2. # ADS

Friend of Figment

I would suggest going to www.disboards.com and then to the "disABILITIES!" Forum (which is about the 10th one down the list) and then to the "disABILTIES! FAQ" which is a sticky and the second or third item down. One of the items there is a long explanation of the GAC.

Another thing you might do is write out a list of your needs. What you would state to the CM is something to the effect of: "Due to various medical conditions I need to have the following to allow me to enjoy WDW as a normal person" and then list what your needs are (note that one thing you cannot ask for is to skip lines entirely). You can show this note to the CM at Guest Relations. They are not allowed to ask for a diagnoses or a doctor's letter.

One thing to be aware of is that often for a mobility or stamina problem the normal suggestion is a wheelchiar of Electric Convenience Vehicle (ECV).

Also, that forum gets more posts in a day than this forum gets in a month, so you will be able to get lots of good advice.

Disneyland Trips: 13 trips for 49 nights.
    But I live less than 20 miles from Walt Disney World! And work there part-time.

For more information about Disabled Access to Disney World and nearby areas, check this out. Or for tickets, check out my Everything About WDW Tickets post.