Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disney in a wheelchair (DLR)

Disney in a wheelchair (DLR)

My nine-year-old daughter needs knee and foot surgery. She will have a cast for six weeks and can't walk on it at all for four weeks. She will be going to summer school and a reading program this summer so she has only a small break this summer to begin with and now it will be spent recovering from this surgery. To top it off she has ADHD so being inactive is not easy for her and her two brothers will be going to the pool every day which will rub salt into the wound.

Just joking I said to my wife, "we should take her to Disneyland and push her around in a wheelchair." My wife actually thought it was a good idea. From what I have read here, it doesn't sound to me like being in a wheelchair at Disneyland is all that great an experience. Not that Disneyland doesn't do their best to accommodate people, but that between fighting the crowds with the chair and guests in line saying rude things because they have the wrong impression, that it just isn't that great an experience.

Any thoughts?

2. # ADS

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar
    Just joking I said to my wife, "we should take her to Disneyland and push her around in a wheelchair." My wife actually thought it was a good idea. From what I have read here, it doesn't sound to me like being in a wheelchair at Disneyland is all that great an experience. Not that Disneyland doesn't do their best to accommodate people, but that between fighting the crowds with the chair and guests in line saying rude things because they have the wrong impression, that it just isn't that great an experience.

Any thoughts?
    Well I don't think that guests saying rude things would be a problem if she has a cast on her leg. It's more the invisible disabilities that get comments and even then, there won't be that many.

As for "not a great experience" that's sort of subjective. Going to Disneyland in a wheelchair is certainly better than.... getting wisdom teeth taken out? And it will be better than sitting at home doing nothing or watching your brothers have fun in a swimming pool.

The parts that might be a challenge:

The heat and her cast. How uncomfortable will that be for her?

"Wheelchair lines" - Pirates and Space Mountain can actually be worse waits in a chair than not. The HCA lines for these attractions can be longer than the regular queues.

For you- DLR wheelchairs are not lightweight and the heat of summer can make that a challenge, too. They may run out of wheelchairs on really busy days if you're not there at opening to get one. You may consider renting a wheelchair from an outside source if you can, or ask your daughter's doctor about how you can rent one.

It's not a horrible experience. There are plenty of people who have no choice

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Friend of Figment

I don't know where you live, but is it possible that WDW is an option rather than DLR. That is probably the best place anywhere for people with any disability.

If you check with www.disboards.com and go to the "disABILTIES!" Forum you can get lots of information. It does tend more toward WDW than DLR, but there is much useful information.

One thing that can be done in any situation is ask the person who will be removing the cast to draw a line where the cast will be cut. When you go to the park carry some "sharpies" with you for characters to autograph the cast. Tell them to keep their signature on one side or the other, but not accross the drawn line. After the cast is removed in can be glued back togoether for a very unusual souvenier.

Disneyland Trips: 13 trips for 49 nights.
    But I live less than 20 miles from Walt Disney World! And work there part-time.

For more information about Disabled Access to Disney World and nearby areas, check this out. Or for tickets, check out my Everything About WDW Tickets post.

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek
    It's not a horrible experience. There are plenty of people who have no choice
    I'm sure you weren't suggesting that we didn't know this, but I just have to say that I know how lucky we are. Heck, just living in an industrialized western country is like winning the lottery. Yes, my daughter has learning disabilities and needs special ed, but they are mild and while we have to work very hard with her, she is progressing. Yes, she has ADHD and can be a handful at times, but she is manageable. Yes, she has some physical issues, but they are very mild. There are many, many people who have things much worse. Knowing this does not stop me from sometimes being sad about the difficulties she faces. Again, I'm sure you aren't saying that I don't know this nor that I don't appreciate her positives, but I just needed to say that. Our daughter is a beautiful girl that brings us much joy. I'll brag for a moment and show a photo from her First Communion which was a couple weeks ago:
    http://www.bvnsp.com/photos/displayi...?album=4&pos=0

OK, that's out of the way. This actually gets to the heart of my question: Going to Disneyland is a fun time regardless. If we had no choice (she was permanently wheelchair bound) there would be no question that we would go and have a wonderful time. But she isn't; we do have a choice. We can choose to go when she isn't in one. I'm trying to decide if the hassle and inconvenience of being in the chair outweighs the joy of the few days if this means that we don't go when she is healthy.

To put it another way, if on a scale of 1-10 going to Disneyland is a 10 would going while she is in the chair be an 8 or a 9? Would it be better to have an "8" trip that cheers her up while she convalesces, or would it be better to have a "10" trip when she is healthy?

Heck this may all just be dreaming anyway. After paying our deductibles and copayments for the surgery we likely won't have anything left over for a trip. WDW would be out of the question. We live near San Francisco and would drive to DL. I really like the signing of the cast idea, but the thought of the cast in the heat is another good issue to consider.

I have no title-I'm a commoner mad4mky's Avatar

I have been to DLR twice when I was wheelchair (or using crutches) bound.

Best TWO trips I have ever had. My feet never hurt...as hubby pushed me around the whole time...I got wonderful help from CM's...and I got to see DLR from a different perspective.

Go.

Have her wear lots of sunscreen, go to the shad often...drink lots of water.

You and she will have a GRAND time.

Oh...and riding back UP the Haunted Mansion elevator is the coolest thing to do!!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar
    Again, I'm sure you aren't saying that I don't know this nor that I don't appreciate her positives, but I just needed to say that. Our daughter is a beautiful girl that brings us much joy. I'll brag for a moment and show a photo from her First Communion which was a couple weeks ago:
    http://www.bvnsp.com/photos/displayi...?album=4&pos=0
    No, I wasn't suggesting that. The pictures are darling, btw. I have to wait almost two more weeks for my little guy's big day

I'm trying to decide if the hassle and inconvenience of being in the chair outweighs the joy of the few days if this means that we don't go when she is healthy.

To put it another way, if on a scale of 1-10 going to Disneyland is a 10 would going while she is in the chair be an 8 or a 9? Would it be better to have an "8" trip that cheers her up while she convalesces, or would it be better to have a "10" trip when she is healthy?
    I would definitely consider the price issue because I'm a very financially driven person when I make decisions.

How much does she love Disneyland?

M4M made some great points - she can ride UP the HM lift. Will she appreciate that in a wheelchair she's a princess being pushed around? I did on the occasion I had to use a wheelchair at DLR.

As for giving up a trip when she's healthy, if Disneyland is a happy place for her during a time that is going to be potentially painful and difficult, I think that will make it a 10 trip for her. Another question would be what will the rest of the family think of the trip? Well, if the brothers are with her in the HM Lift going up, they may just be glad their sister had to use that wheelchair

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Banned

go!! I had the best week of my life in that chair and I would not trade it for the world. I never got stars, or bad looks, and I would say not to let the wheel chair hinder you. I rode all the rides, and I had fun. And by the way, she is georgous!! what a sweetie my son has autism, and is a handful, I know how dificult things can be. do whats best for you, and on a scale of 1 to 10. take her now!! it will be a 10 trip

I keep asking myself if I am thinking about this because I think it is something that will cheer her up or if it is just an excuse for ME to get to go again. I'm not sure what the answer is.

I'm pretty sure we won't go though. My wife and oldest son are going to Ireland for two weeks and get home on July 4th. Then add the cost of the sugery, or our share of it after insurance and we'll have nothing left for Disneyland.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mad4mky
    Best TWO trips I have ever had. My feet never hurt...as hubby pushed me around the whole time...I got wonderful help from CM's...and I got to see DLR from a different perspective.
    I will counter this. While for many, it would be a positive, my daughter was in a similar situation to the OP (spiral fracture of the foot). It was the trip from heck. She did not like being in the chair, she hated not being in control, and she finally just got out of the chair and walked, against the docs orders and mom's yelling. The OP knows his child. How will she handle not being able to walk to where she wants to go, and having to deal with others pushing her? ADHD throws some fun into this also. (I have an ADHDer and an Aspie, so its always interesting!)
    Planning 3 trips at once...

My daughter would LOVE being pushed around everywhere. I took her backpacking once and she actually wanted me to carry her. She is a little princess and always wants to be pampered.