Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Transportation and other general questions

Transportation and other general questions

As I have mentioned this will be my family's first big trip to WDW. We are flying into Orlando on Saturday December 2nd, renting a car and driving to Hommassa Springs to visit family. We were planning on returning to the Orlando area on Monday the 4th. After much discussion we have decided to try and stay at WDW or nearby the night of the 4th.

Here are my questions (any help or advice at all would be great).

1) Is there anywhere at WDW to return a rental car?

2) If we have to drop the car near WDW, is there anyway to get to our resort hotel?

3) If we stay the first night at a value resort, how can we get our luggage to the Beach Club?

4) If we stay at a DTD hotel, how could we get our luggage to the BC?

5) our park hoppers will not activate until we check into the BC, is it going to be a huge hassle to travel from a value resort or DTD to the BC?

Since we have the land and sea I realize our transport from the resort to the ship and back to the airport is covered. Presently we are scheduled to take the disney transport from the airport to the resort (which apparently is no longer free when we are going). But we have to have a rental car for the first few days so I thought it would be easier just to turn in a rental then try to turn in the rental and then hop onto a bus to WDW.

The other families that are joining us will be coming straight from the airport to the resort.

Thanks for the help

Disneyland IS the Happiest place on Earth!

2. # ADS

still romantic at heart

lets see if I can shed a little info here.

1. there is a car rental location at the dolphin, I forget right away which company it is, I think Hertz, but not 100%. if you rent from them you could return it there.

2. if you are returning your car at the dophin you can either walk to the BC which is only feet away, or if you are still at another resort take the WDW transportation to that location. likely you will need to transfer buses at least once. the usual process is to take a bus from the resort you are at to either a park or DTD and transfer to a bus going to the resort you wish to go to.

3. when you check in to your value resort you can tell them you are transfering to insert resort when you check out in the morning deliver your luggage to bell services and remind them that you need them transfered to said resort. when you arrive at the new resort after check in time your luggage should already be with bell services.

4. if you stay at DTD (or any non disney hotel) you will need to transfer your luggage your self. this would be a good reason to keep the car to that day. you could drive to your resort in the morning drop off the luggage and drive to return the car. but this alone sounds like a good reason to stay in a disney hotel.

5. when you check in to your value resort they will issue a WDW id that will only be good for that day, and the next. now while it is rarely a hassle, and I have never been asked for resort ID this would work for you to travel anyplace on disney property not requiring a ticket for entrance. but as I said in 20+ years of going to WDW I have never even been asked for resort ID except early in the morning at the TTC when I was trying to get to the poly for breakfast.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think when you do a disney land/sea cruise it includes airport transfers even if you are doing the land first. (could be wrong as we have never done that before) either way if you don't rent a car from a place that has a location on WDW property you could always have just one member of your party drive the car back to the airport and catch the trans. to the resort.

Grateful for all God has done for me, and for having Wfoxx by my side.

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by efoxx
    1. there is a car rental location at the dolphin, I forget right away which company it is, I think Hertz, but not 100%. if you rent from them you could return it there.
    It's Alamo/National. Otherwise, "what he said."

Thank you so much for the information.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Isn't there a car rental place at the Car Care Center near the TTC?

Also, according to MouseSavers, some of the DTD-area hotels have a car rental location - though a quick look didn't reveal which resorts and which car rental places. But that would be a hassle for transferring your luggage, if you returned your car when you checked in there.

A taxi shouldn't be that expensive from that area to BC - it was under $10 including tip for 4 of us to go from the Boardwalk to POFQ, so please don't struggle on shuttle buses with transfers with your luggage if you go that route! (Depending on where you live/have lived, taxis as an option can be further away on the radar screen, so I thought I'd mention it)

The Car Care Center is on the way to the TTC, but not really convenient to it, other than by the courtesy shuttle that goes around. You can not walk to it, unfortunately.

In your case, Birthdaygirl, I would rent from MCO and drop off at the WDW Dolphin after you've checked in at the Beach Club and done your Value resort stay. Once you're done with the car and return it to the Dolphin, you can either stroll back to the Beach Club or take the water taxi across. Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymac
    The Car Care Center is on the way to the TTC, but not really convenient to it, other than by the courtesy shuttle that goes around. You can not walk to it, unfortunately.

In your case, Birthdaygirl, I would rent from MCO and drop off at the WDW Dolphin after you've checked in at the Beach Club and done your Value resort stay. Once you're done with the car and return it to the Dolphin, you can either stroll back to the Beach Club or take the water taxi across. Does that help?

That helps quite a bit. It's good to know that whoever drops off the rental can get back to the beach club in a timely fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88
    Isn't there a car rental place at the Car Care Center near the TTC?

Also, according to MouseSavers, some of the DTD-area hotels have a car rental location - though a quick look didn't reveal which resorts and which car rental places. But that would be a hassle for transferring your luggage, if you returned your car when you checked in there.

A taxi shouldn't be that expensive from that area to BC - it was under $10 including tip for 4 of us to go from the Boardwalk to POFQ, so please don't struggle on shuttle buses with transfers with your luggage if you go that route! (Depending on where you live/have lived, taxis as an option can be further away on the radar screen, so I thought I'd mention it)
    We will have the rental car, but the other family that is joining us will lilkely need a taxi to get from DTD (which is where we have decided to stay) to the Beach Club, they will be relieved to know that the taxi trip is not going to cost an arm and a leg.