Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Commute traffic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Commute traffic

We will be in San Diego over the weekend, then getting up Monday morning and driving to Disneyland fot 3 days there. Do any of you locals have advice on what time we should leave SanDiego to avoid any commute traffic, but still get to Disney plenty early? We have the bonus ticket, so we can enter the park at 9am...what do you think?
    Thanks so much!

September 24th! Can't wait!

I would give yourself a couple of hours. The 5 freeway is usually dicey on the weekends. You may breeze right through or it will be jammed up.

There's a carpool lane on the 5 going north for quite a long ways I remember, there's also a carpool exit for disneyland. I don't know how the traffic is going north in the morning, I'm usually going south (there's always traffic heading South no matter what time you get up). I suggest giving yourself an extra hour before you really want/need to be there, then you could take your time when parking and getting to the tram, go to downtown disney and shop if the park isn't open yet. I wouldn't worry about it at all, it's not that long of a drive.

Quote Originally Posted by matt5172
    There's a carpool lane on the 5 going north for quite a long ways I remember, there's also a carpool exit for disneyland. ... I wouldn't worry about it at all, it's not that long of a drive.
    I'm so glad to know there's a carpool lane - that helps! We know it's not that long of a drive...but to our 3 and 5 year olds, 5 minutes is too long to wait to get to Disneyland!

Thanks so much for the info!

Eternal Foe of the Work Ethic

I would leave "San Diego" around 7:00.
    Most people will be heading south, into San Diego.

The car pool lane starts just north of San Clemente, around the "Beach Cities" exit.
    It runs from there, all the way to Disneyland.

You'll probably hit Orange County about 8:30 or so, missing the worst commuter traffic.

After this weekend, Disneyland opens at 10, weekdays.