Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Should I take a backpack into Disneyland?

Should I take a backpack into Disneyland?

Hello, I'm going to Disney land in May and thinking of taking in a backpack. The pack itself isn't too cumbersome, it's relatively small, (about the size of a case of 24 cans of pop).
    It would be nice to bring it in, as I could bring some drinks (it's a cooler as well), some lunch, and other items.
    My concern is will this pack get in my way on the rides?

My other option is a small bike messenger style bag, it would hold 3 cans of pop, and is a lot more close fitting.

I'd like to bring the backpack, i'm not concerned about the weight, only how much it will impede my ability to enjoy the park.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Pureevents
    It would be nice to bring it in, as I could bring some drinks (it's a cooler as well), some lunch, and other items.

Finally I can say ROFLMAO

Dude (or dudette), a backpack that can hold 24 cans of soda is not relatively small!

If i were you I'd go with the smaller pack that holds 2 or 3 sodas . You don't want to be running to the restroom every 5 minutes do you?

If you get hungry , share a meal with a buddy somewher in the park or op out to Whitewater Snacks where you can get a decent meal for five bucks or so.

Believe me, it's way more fun to travel light!
    Last edited by Andrew; 01-14-2005 at 09:40 PM. Reason: fix vBcode

I'm not sure if you are intendind to bring 24 cans with you, or if the bag is big enough to hold 24 cans!

We have APs, and go about once a week with our 2 girls (5 & 7) after school for about 2 or 3 hours each visit. I carry a large "Book" backpack that could probably hold 24 cans in it... but we usually only have a couple bottles of water and a bunch of sweatshirts.

The Backpack stays in the car... it's ALWAYS ready to go!

The basic rule is... no stroller (if you can't walk, you're not going!) and, if it doesn't fit in the backpack, it's not coming!

I have not had much problem riding with the backpack... on some rides it's a little tight (Splash Mountian comes to mind)... some rides they allow you to place the backpack on the ground near the CM (The Rocket Ride in Tomorrowland, and the rollercoaster in ToonTown)

Of course, it helps that there is nothing breakable in the backpack... very squishable.

I HATE putting things in lockers... I think they are too expensive, and you have to waste time going back to get things out of the locker when you need them.

Bottom line... I wouldn't do DLR without my backpack!

P.S. Sorry if I sounded flippant in my response...that just struck me as really funny. I really truly enjoy traveling light...two sodas , two waters max. Maybe a little bag of nuts or beef jerky. And my wallet and camera all thrown into a lightweight knapsack with skinny little straps. If I need a sweatshirt I tie it around my waist. The times I've taken more than that or used a locker , it's been kind of a pain in the neck!

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar

The above responses are right on. Also, we had a recent thread on this topic.

--
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

Fell On Black Days.....

Ha. I never travel light. I could probably take a backpack on a walk around the block...

Too lazy, Andrew, to check the thread link.

I just want to say I think it is okay if you don't put real breakable things in it so that you can squish it in front of you {ever wear it on the front?} and the food items are things you will eat {making the pack lighter as the day goes on}.

I keep pain relief meds in it for adults and kids, too. Never know when that will be needed. And lots of tissue! Why is it when you don't have tissue you need it???

"Whomsoever I've cured, I've sickened now. Whomsoever I've cradled, I've put you down. I'm a search light soul, they say, but I can't see it in the night. I'm only faking when I get it right...cause I Fell On Black Days...How would I know this could be my fate?"

I am ALL about the light travel option. I always have the smallest purse, that I can put over my shoulder. Big enough for my money, my camera and my sunglasses. Period! Rent a locker, and put your extra stuff in there, it is WAY worth it for me personally. I hate lugging stuff around when I'm at DL. Every time I buy something (which is often when I am there!) I head to the locker and toss it in.

Banned

ok here is my take on this ( if you are interested)
    I took a small back pack, and I will always be grateful I did! It held my wallet, my camera, important things I did not want to miss place or lose and it held suckers and such. Even 2 water bottles on the sides.
    It was small enough to put in front of me on the rides( I put the straps around my legs) and I had no problems. I carry a small purse with me always so this fit in nicely to. This pack was small and not only ziped closed, but it also tied closed so it was double secure. Take one if you want, its my choice and the question was logical. Have a wonderful trip!!

We are a family of 4 and we ALWAYS have a backpack filled with water, snacks, camera, sunscreen and whatever else will fit. We have never had a problem with it on any rides.

Where'd Spring Go?

Yup, I always take a backpack, mostly because I bring a sweatshirt for when it gets cold at night or to put my jeans in when it's cold in the morning but warm during the day. It's also handy for stuffing those impulse buys in! *lol* I've never had a problem with it getting in the way. Toward the end of the day, it can feel a little heavy, but of course, it's Disneyland so there's also some distraction to keep your from thinking about it!

Everyday I tell myself I'm sane
    like a water color painter painting in the rain
    Everyday she flows right through my veins
    and my song remains the same

I never go without mine! It's about the size of a 12 pack (Jansport "book bag"). I carry a windbreaker or hooded sweatshirt, 2 bottles of water, a few meds in a ziplock bag (asprin, pepcid, etc.), hand sanitizer, a camera and a Glock 9mm pistol (just kidding about the gun ). It always fits under the seat or next to me on the rides. It's indispensable. If I buy anything it goes in the pack and I always carry some extra Disneyland napkins in there too.

“Quality is a great business plan.”
    ~John Lasseter

Not only do I carry a backpack, but we rent two strollers and use the pockets in those as well I am not a light packer.

I always take a backpack. Didn't find it to be a problem on any of the rides.
    My husband held it on CA Screamin cuz I get nervous and don't want the added pressure of the responsibilty of holding on to it. (Although that is now my favorite coaster in any park I've been to cuz of the smoothness of ride and theming.) I always take a large plastic bag in it to put it in for Spash M.
    Love the free lockers for GRR.
    rentayenta-like the new picture from your trip-so festive

No Flash Photography please...

Sometimes I take one and sometimes I don't. The backpacks get heavy and tend to be a PITYA to carry at times. They are also very handy to have because they can hold so much. I must say I do enjoy my vists more when I have less things and less heavy things to carry. ...as far as being cumbersome...mine is not. I can go on every ride with it without a problem.

In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true either is true or becomes true.
    my yahoo blog

Sea World Pictures

We take one backpack between us and take turns carrying it. We pack as light as possible,if it won't fit, we don't need it. When my kids were little, we used get a locker to store sweatshirts and all the other extras a family needs,but with just two of us, this works fine. We always bring a little bag with advil,purell, and extra band aids. Even with the best shoes, blisters can happen.

" There are no trips to Pleasure Island today. Please enjoy other Fantasyland adventures." - a sign in Disneyland

I'm also of the notion the less you have to take in the better. Only the bare essentials.

average dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan L
    I'm also of the notion the less you have to take in the better. Only the bare essentials.
    ditto. we always take a small backpack cuz we pack in water/juice, breakfast bars, PBnJ's, ibuprofen, digital camera, wipes, etc., but we get a DLR stroller so the small backpack fits underneath. I always wear the lightest light clothing too. The lighter, the better, because of the amount of walking one does.

After about 15-20 trips since June, we finally got a locker in December just to account for the extra sweat shirts and warmer clothing as the days were warm, but the night cool.

I wouldn't carry a backpack all day, but if you have a stroller, a backpack can be placed underneath and is very handy. And if need be, get a locker.

And the trusting sorts that we are, we leave it under the stroller, it never goes on rides with us (and we've never had a problem.)
    "it all started from a Daddy with two daughters, wondering where he could take them where he could have a little fun with them too." -- Walt Disney
    "This is my family. I found it, all on my own. It's little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good." -- Stitch

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Dude
    And the trusting sorts that we are, we leave it under the stroller, it never goes on rides with us (and we've never had a problem.)
    Just don't leave anything too valuable in those packs. When I worked at WDW, I don't know how many times people would complain and be upset about a stolen camera, video camera or other valuables. When we asked where they were stolen from, it was almost always, "Well, we left it in the stroller while we rode _______." Most of the time, things don't get bothered, but if you just abandon your stuff, you can't be the slightest bit surprised if it's taken. Happened far too many times for me to count.

Fell On Black Days.....

I've heard of the whole stroller being stolen.

But, as far as kid stuff~ when I did use a stroller, I had kid backpacks. I put their things into it; things that I wouldn't die if they were lost or stolen. These things I did leave on the stroller. I never left food...

"Whomsoever I've cured, I've sickened now. Whomsoever I've cradled, I've put you down. I'm a search light soul, they say, but I can't see it in the night. I'm only faking when I get it right...cause I Fell On Black Days...How would I know this could be my fate?"

Food attracts birds and such - so if anything leave it but leave it sealed.

And trash can tops are not spaces to save drinks while you go on rides - CMs will throw them away.

Thanks all.

I believe this has definitely answered my question, i'll be bringing the pack.
    I'm glad it won't be in the way of rides, as that was my main concern.
    The weight and cumbersomeness of it won't be a problem. I love the pack, as it's a cooler, and also folds out into a small chair.
    I won't be packing 24 sodas, but definitely
    water bottles, gatorade crystals, asprin, suntan lotion, lunch, snacks,umbrella, guide notes, and 2 gameboys

thanks again all!