Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Musicals?

Crapple Dumpkin

Favorite Musicals?

The Phantom thread inspired me to make this a topic.

I guess it's important to include movie musicals and theatrical musicals, since they do overlap. For instance, I grew up with Chorus Line the Movie, and the broadway cast album is painful in comparison for me.

That said, let's start the list with some of the basics and see what others are lurking out there.

Some of my faves, in no particular order:
    Phantom, of course
    Hair
    sound of Music
    Oklahoma
    chorus line
    grease
    Chicago
    Jesus Christ Superstar

From a poem by Dom Helder Camara:
    Why fear the dark? How can we help but love it when it is the darkness that brings the stars to us? What's more: who does not know that it is on the darkest nights that the stars acquire their greatest splendor?

2. # ADS

Great idea here are mine...
    Les Mis
    Thoroughly Modern Millie
    My Fair Lady
    South Pacific
    The Lion King

And I can't wait untill Little Women officially opens on Broadway so I can order the Soundtrack.

"Normal people are just plain freaky!"
    DisneylandForever broke Maelstrom!!

Les Miserables and Phantom top my list, I also like Grease (I have, believe it or not, never seen the movie) Chicago, and Oliver

"Meet Me In St. Louis", "The Harvey Girls", "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" (the show, not the movie, and with Robert Morse, not Matthew Broderick), "Pippin", "An American in Paris" (can't get enough Gershwin), "Kismet", "Singin' in the Rain", "Top Hat", "Swingtime", "Brigadoon" and most anything Cole Porter wrote.

-TLMT

Proud Hufflepuff

Good thread.

1. Les Miz will always be on top for me, but I'm starting to like other shows more. I love it though. I saw it when I turned eleven, and even though my parents had always played musical CDs for me, seeing Les Miz was what really started me on my musical theater obbsession. The plot is so good, and so is the music AND the lyrics, which is important. Those young guys in hot 19th century costumes don't hurt, either.

2. Titanic is still underrated, even though it won Best Musical at the Tony's. I'll be talking musicals with people and I'll ask them if they know this show and they'll usually go "You mean the movie?". Gr. This show is so amazing. It's the only show that makes me cry, and that comes from just listening to the CD.

3. Ragtime should have won best musical the year after Titanic, if only Lion King hadn't been in the running. This one sounds a lot like Titanic, and it just awesome. End of story.

4. Urinetown is the funniest thing I have ever, EVER seen/heard. And it's perfectly family friendly, too, nevermind the title. It's about the not too distant future where because of a horrible water shortage, toilets are outlawed and people must pay to use public toilets. Then a romance develops between a revolutionary and the evil corporation owner's daughter, and all of this other bad stuff happens. Opening line:

"Well, hello there. And welcome - to Urinetown! Not the place, of course.
    The musical. Urinetown "the place" is ... well, it's a place you'll hear
    people referring to a lot through the show."

5. Assassins taught me more than I'll ever need to know about every American (would-be) assassin, plus the music and lyrics are unbelievabale (it's Sondheim, what else do you expect?) Anway, if I hadn't gotten into this show than I never would have been curious about Squeaky Fromme and then I never would have read Helter Skelter, so I'm glad I saw it.

Honorable mentions: The Secret Garden, Pacific Overtures, My Fair Lady, How to Succeed (I prefer it to Guys and Dolls, and with Matther Broderick, though don't dislike Robert Morse, either) The Music Man and West Side Story.

And I totally agree about Little Women. Sutton Foster, who is the lead, is amaaaaaazing, and every clip I've heard (on broadway.com) seems like it's gonna be good.

www.amiablecreature.net Original Harry Potter and Jane Austen t-shirts, buttons, totes and more!
    www.joinordie.etsy.com: my relatively historical-themed jewelry site

Crapple Dumpkin

I do remember seeing something about Assassins, that did look interesting.

That is part of the bummer of living in the OC. Close enough to see some of the more exceptional offerings, but far enough not to hear much about them. Have to really seek things out. Either that, or wait for it to be installed in Vegas...

Related question, am I the only one worried that we have now started seeing major stage productions based on the music of Billy Joel?

Why fear the dark? How can we help but love it when it is the darkness that brings the stars to us? What's more: who does not know that it is on the darkest nights that the stars acquire their greatest splendor?

Here we go:

Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables....at the very tippy top!
    Chicago
    Beauty and The Beast -- SO COOL!
    Evita (Love, love, love the music)
    Miss Saigon (depressing, but, good)

I'd say those are the cream of the crop in my mind.

Hey, the weather is fabulous!

Well, I've done dozens of shows, but these are my favorites:

Sweeney Todd
    A Little Night Music
    Into the Woods
    West Side Story
    A Chorus Line
    Sweet Charity
    42nd Street
    Singin' in the Rain
    Children of Eden (great music, stupid show)

"I have never understood why so many people insist that god is just as petty and limited as they are, and then have the nerve to think that god would agree with them." - Nadai
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral." - Paulo Friere
    If you're more concerned about some blithering idiot's feelings than about being honest, you've already lost what integrity you might have had.

The only musicals I like are the Disney ones. It just doesnt seem right to me unless it is coming from an animated character.

Hey Mod Hatter....I like all of the ones you listed!

I also like :

Les Mis
    Thoroughly Modern Millie
    Mamma Mia
    Blast
    Riverdance
    Miss Saigon

and

Arch the Angel (my favorite kids' Christmas musical that I ever directed at my church)

Oh, oh...I forgot movie musicals!!!

I love Sound of Music, Music Man, Singin' In The Rain and The King & I.

Phantom(Michael Crawford preferred, but any will do), Beauty and the Beast, Miss Saigon, does Fossè count as a musical? Cus that was pretty cool too....

Crapple Dumpkin

Well, between the comments about Thoroughly Modern Millie (a favorite of mine as well) and Disney musicals, I was stunend that I had forgotten to add...

MARY POPPINS!!!

I tell you, that Bird Woman song still makes me cry...

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wood_is_mine
    2. Titanic is still underrated, even though it won Best Musical at the Tony's. I'll be talking musicals with people and I'll ask them if they know this show and they'll usually go "You mean the movie?". Gr. This show is so amazing. It's the only show that makes me cry, and that comes from just listening to the CD.
    That was a great show. My husband bought tickets as a present for me, and I absolutely loved the show. I got so much more feeling for the characters from that show than the movie ever inspired in me. And the sets were just amazing. Sinking a ship on stage! The drink cart rolling on its own was definitely a show stopper. My only complaint - the end of the first act. What the heck was with the little toy boat? It was so bad, it was funny.

Favorite stage musicals - "Phantom", "Mamma Mia", and a show I've never seen - "Once On This Island". A friend got me the CD as a gift several years ago, and I've never forgiven him for it because I've been dying to see the show ever since.

Favorite film musicals - "Moulin Rouge" is definitely at the top of the list. I can't remember the names of a bunch of the Busby Berkeley musicals I've seen, but I always enjoyed those.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Slightly off topic-is Miss.Saigon good?...I'm going to see it in February apparantly

I know some of you have put it in your list, but how do you think it will be for a 15 year old?

*DLP-1995, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2009x2, 2010x2*WDW-1999, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2010, 2011*DL-2004, 2005

Magical Movie Reviews

Efteling UK

Account Closed

I've tried to, but never seemed to be able to get into any musicals. The only one I really like is Little Shop of Horrors. Awesome stage play. Much better than the film version, which was pretty darn good to start with.

I also enjoyed West Side Story, but on the whole I don't really warm up to musicals. It's not that I don't try, it's just that there's a shortage of comedies with man-eating plants.

A La Volonté Du Peuple!

Hey, the weather is fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegitabeta
    Slightly off topic-is Miss.Saigon good?...I'm going to see it in February apparantly

I know some of you have put it in your list, but how do you think it will be for a 15 year old?
    Miss Saigon is craptacular. It has it all... bad story, histrionic songs, a whiny tenor lead, and a depressing, formulaic plot.

If I were you, I'd suddenly develop a "migraine" that night...
    "I have never understood why so many people insist that god is just as petty and limited as they are, and then have the nerve to think that god would agree with them." - Nadai
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral." - Paulo Friere
    If you're more concerned about some blithering idiot's feelings than about being honest, you've already lost what integrity you might have had.

I've been to some recently that I really enjoyed:

Wicked - got to see it with both Idina and Kristen. Fantastic.
    Avenue Q - laughed so much. Excellent ensemble.
    The Boy From Oz - Hugh Jackman is just the best. That's all there is to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegitabeta

The story is really sad, but I think the music is really beautiful. I took my 16 year olds to see it and it was not their favorite, but they liked it.

BTW....if you want to get out of going you can tell your parents that there are a few scenes with prostitutes and racy dancing. Maybe that will change their minds about taking you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph
    Hugh Jackman is just the best. That's all there is to say.
    It's true. I mean, how many performances of Oklahoma! have we all seen? But unless you've seen Hugh Jackman's performance in that musical, you ain't seen nothin'.

Really.
    Insert passive aggressive sentence of your choice here.

kbanmen

I would say the Phantom and Les Miserables are my favorites...

Here are my faves, during the summer I work for a professional theatre company that produces musicals but ,truth to tell, I'm not a huge fan of the genre. These few ,however, I can watch and/or listen to over and over.

1. Sweeney Todd

2. Into The Woods

3. West Side Story

4. Hair (I'm a little biased on this one, I was in it oh so many years ago, and it was one of the most fun shows I've ever done)

5. The Secret Garden

6. Little Shop Of Horrors
    special mention...
    . Urinetown (I've only heard the soundtrack ,but really like it and want to see it a whole lot.)

" There are no trips to Pleasure Island today. Please enjoy other Fantasyland adventures." - a sign in Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Flint
    Miss Saigon is craptacular. It has it all... bad story, histrionic songs, a whiny tenor lead, and a depressing, formulaic plot.

If I were you, I'd suddenly develop a "migraine" that night...
    You left out the big ol' helicopter. But really, thousands absolutely love the show. It always sells out when it comes here on tour. you'll very likely love it too, especially if you have a soft spot for tear jerkers.
    " There are no trips to Pleasure Island today. Please enjoy other Fantasyland adventures." - a sign in Disneyland

I love musicals! Here are a couple of my favorites in no particular order:

Damn Yankees
    Mary Poppins
    The Music Man
    The Sound of Music
    Beauty and The Beast
    The Phantom of the Opera
    The Lion King
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    Chicago

Gosh, the list can go on and on....

It's "we"! Not "I"!

I haven't seen any theater musicals, but my favorite movie musical is..... oh, let's face it, you all know what my favorite movie musical is!

I also like Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat (I've seen the Donny Osmond version on PBS).

Why, Sam Raimi?! Why did you have to butcher Venom?!