Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vacation time

kbanmen

Vacation time

Why as cast members are we told from the start.you CANT get any vacation time (like holidays offf)..I feel..first come first serve..am I am being stupid or something..I feel if you work christmas eve..then you should be entitled to new years eve off..am I just fooling myself..any feedback???

2. # ADS

Banned

I never get holidays off, not once! I only work 2 hours on the weekends so I think I am good for christmas, but that was pretty lucky. I only have to work 2 hours, but that is the time when most open there gifts and sit down with the kids and have fun I have to be to work by 9:00 am on Saturdays 10:00 AM on sundays,. 8:00am during the week.

Yes, you are fooling yourself. Work retail or white collar if you want holidays off. Disneyland needs CMs on holidays.

Awaiting the next CM Matt.

kbanmen

I work graveyard..so I dont reallyn care if I work christmas eve..I can get home in time for present opening.but I really want new years eve off (trechnically that is new years day) when I tell people at work,,they laugh at me..so I guess that is out of the question

Lots of us are laughing too. Thanks for the pick-me-up.

kbanmen

you are soooooooo funny..ha ha ha..actually I am not laughing..just inside.I had hoped for new years eve off.guess that is out of the question..sigh!!

(Heavily edited, after reasing your post more clearly.)
    As NYE is the busiest day of the year, I suspect that no one in custodial would get that shift off.

she's just *that girl*

Did you really think that you'd get these crucial Resort holidays off? This is a huge theme park destination, with the days after Christmas being some of, if not THE busiest. To be honest, you were already informed of the requirements during peak seasons and if you didn't like it, reconsider hiring in. You can't expect to get huge holidays like this off, especially if you're one of the lower seniority folks.

Next stop: Tokyo Disneyland!

kbanmen

new years day actually...a=so after then park closes

Not to mention all the NYE party favors, hats, party street pizza, etc.

kbanmen
    Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Not to mention all the NYE party favors, hats, party street pizza, etc.
    oh wonderful..they offer guestsn these things..which means I will have to clean IT ALL UP..YEAH..KELLY

That's Dr. Earkid to you ;)

That's the spirit Kelly!!

kbanmen

thankss earkid..oh joy..But hey I have the disney spirit..dontI??

It has been my experience that unless you are VERY high on the totem pole you will work all if not most major holidays....and probably most of the minor ones too. Just smile and enjoy yourself. Hey, you never know you might see our family over Christmas. Eight of us are going and planning a fun, over-the-top trip we really can't afford. But, it IS Disney after all!!

kbanmen
    Quote Originally Posted by tink1234
    It has been my experience that unless you are VERY high on the totem pole you will work all if not most major holidays....and probably most of the minor ones too. Just smile and enjoy yourself. Hey, you never know you might see our family over Christmas. Eight of us are going and planning a fun, over-the-top trip we really can't afford. But, it IS Disney after all!!
    Yes I am very low on the totem pole..oh well..I do love my job though..who knows maybe I will see you there..I am off in a few minutes to go to disney (after my daughters dentist appointment)...we are spending the day there just the girls (without hubby who is in NYC)

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kmatsumura
    oh wonderful..they offer guestsn these things..which means I will have to clean IT ALL UP..YEAH..KELLY
    Ummm, that would be your job, right?

Way back when I worked for Disneyland, we were told at orientation that it can be a bummer to have to work holidays, but that we should look at it as "we work so that others can play". In certain jobs, you pretty much expect not to get holidays off.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Headed to DRL in December 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Yes, you are fooling yourself. Work retail or white collar if you want holidays off. Disneyland needs CMs on holidays.
    uhhh, the ONLY 'RETAIL' days off now are Christmas Day.
    "Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

NEXT TRIP - December 29-31, 2004

Many people have to work holidays - and they are not at the Happiest Place on Earth -- so it could be worse. I work for law enforcement, so not only deputies are working, but so are typists, correctional officers, communication clerks. And also think of someone working in a convalescent hospital or as a waitress.

Retired and loving it!

kbanmen

TRue..at least I will be working at the HAPPIEST/MERRIEST place on earth../

A lot of "white-collar" jobs don't always get holidays off either. I'm a corporate accountant, year-end is my busiest time. I frequently work Christmas Eve (but okay I do get Christmas Day off) and always work New Years Eve and New Years Day. I've also worked on Thanksgiving too!!

Believe me I'd rather be working at Disneyland on Christmas Eve than in my office!!!

kbanmen

Well I know I will be working..I dont mind christmas..just wanted new years off..oh well

Quote Originally Posted by sjcivilady
    Many people have to work holidays - and they are not at the Happiest Place on Earth -- so it could be worse.

Even though it is "The Happiest Place on Earth" for guests, it can be quite the opposite for those of us who work there. I just hope, knowing that I personally will work ALL holidays this year, that guests remember this when they come to "play," while I "work."

kbanmen

I think some of them will appreciate us who have to work during the holidays.i do

My husband is a Detective and we always feel lucky when he is home. My Grandma can never understand why he has to work. We keep trying to tell her that criminals are out everyday of the year. They don't take Holidays off crimes!

kbanmen

its funny I forgot about the other people who have to work..especially the police..my dad was a city police in canada and he worked many many holidays..my brother is a RCMP in canada (royal canadian mounted police) and he always work..with those jobs..you are just grateful..they come home..THese people are the ones who should be commended for a job well done