Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Tokyo Disney Sea

Imagineer in progress...

Tokyo Disney Sea

hey i live in anaheim california and i am totally hooked to disney being a season pass holder but i was wondering, what is disney sea in tokyo like? PM if you know or post here i want to hear more about it!

Hailey
    (future president of disney)
    lol
    "If I could pick any job in the world I would take up office in the Imagineering Building and immerse myself in all of that lunacy and free thinking" -Micheal D. Eisner

2. # ADS

Thumbs up

Well, funny you should ask. I was just at Tokyo Disney Sea. Without a doubt, this is the most amazing themepark ever built. In a few years when it has more attractions it will get even better. The detail is just unbelieveable, even in places you wouldn't expect it. I have a few pictures on my web site:
    http://www.toddregan.com/Tokyo-disney.htm

If you have any questions. Feel free to ask. This is one park I wish more people could see.

www.micechat.com Administrator

Thumbs up

I haven't been to Tokyo, however just this week I received a DVD that I bought on Ebay that gives a very comprehensive look at this park. The detail on all the buildings and statues looked fantastic. The attractions were shown complete from start to finish and really looked interesting. Nothing like any of the American Disney parks. I only hope I am fortunate enough to someday be able to visit the Tokyo parks.

Quote Originally Posted by simzac
    . . . I received a DVD that I bought on Ebay that gives a very comprehensive look at this park. . .
    Is this a DVD that is available for sale at Tokyo Disney? Or is this a vacation video that someone sold you? I'm very interested in finding a video or DVD to remind me of the trip. I took a lot of pictures early in the day, but at some point I gave up and tried to ride as many attractions as possible.

I'd love to hear more about the DVD you bought on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by dustytraveler
    Is this a DVD that is available for sale at Tokyo Disney? Or is this a vacation video that someone sold you? I'm very interested in finding a video or DVD to remind me of the trip. I took a lot of pictures early in the day, but at some point I gave up and tried to ride as many attractions as possible.

I'd love to hear more about the DVD you bought on Ebay.
    DVD I spoke about was sold by an individual from Chicago who did all of the filming himself. He sold it as buy it now on Ebay. Just check under Tokyo Disney Sea at Ebay to see if he still has any copies left. DVD was 90 minutes in length. It showed each attraction at Disney Sea in it's entirety. A couple of indoor rides came out very dark, but you can still get the idea what the ride is all about. Also included was the Mira Costa Hotel at Disney Sea, attention to detail at the Hotel was fabulous. Also included was a brief preview of the Magic Kingdom park, the monorail system, buses, and the Winnie the Pooh Honey Pot ride. If you cannot find any more copies, email me, I will contact the seller if he is going to produce any more. This is not a Disney production.

Thanks Simzac.

Tokyo Disney Sea is just amazing. And Simzac is correct about the attention to detail. Everything from the Pavement and the lighting to the attractions themselves are Disney's best work ever. The closest you get in the US is World Showcase in Epcot. However, Disney has never done anything of this quality on the scale of Disney Sea before (or since).

I'll tell you what gets me. Once you see Disney Sea for the first time, you can't help but feel cheated by the newer cheap parks like DCA and Disney Studios Paris. Even though Disney Sea is a bit short on attractions at the moment, you simply don't care because it is still a destination park all on its own.

Well, funny you should ask. I was just at Tokyo Disney Sea. Without a doubt, this is the most amazing themepark ever built.
    I couldn't agree more. I've been fortunate to visit now on 6 different occasions and I tell you I still get goose bumps when I walk in the gate. It's just that incredible.

I gotta ask you all something. Have you ever had a sleep-dream about your own fantasy Disney park? Either a super plused-up existing park or just something totally fantastic that popped into your head? I have. You wake up and go wow...that was cool. But within almost seconds the whole dream disappears from your memory!

Well if you have (and I hope I'm not the only nutcase that has experienced something like that) then a visit to this park is somewhat like that. While you are walking around you are almost in a daze. It's sooooo huge. And 1000x more detailed. And...just frickin perfect! Overwhelming.

And when you leave, about an hour later you're saying to yourself in almost a daze..."Was that real?" "Did I really just see that?"

No question Walt would have been proud of this puppy, folks. Just goes to show what with no penny-pinching from accountants, can still be created from WDI! The Oriental Land Company said dam* the cost...build us your best. And they did!

An Imagineer told me that Disney here in the U.S. was actually suppressing info on Disney Sea here! That's why you don't see or hear much about it. They're afraid that if the U.S. audience sees it, they'll really compare it to what they got short-changed with California Adventure and Animal Kingdom.

And to think we had a shot of having this puppy in right here in Long Beach! Stinking in-fighting, bureaucratic Long Beach City Council!

Folks, if you are a Disney fan...beg, borrow, steal, cash in your folk's frequent flyer miles...whatever it takes, and visit this park. It really is too incredible to describe. It would take hours on each little thing.
    Opus1guy

I'm not much of a picture-taker (just try to remember with my mind), but I did take a couple of snaps once that I webbed back home to family. Not much and really don't do the place justice (which is why I stopped taking them), but it might give you a taste.

Hope the link works! AOL plenty screwy sometimes!

http://aolsvc.pictures.aol.com/NASAp...ViewFromEmails

Opus1guy

opus is right...went one time and had to go back 3 months later...the best themepark in the world hands down...do whatever you can to get there and get in the park...it will blow your mind

nothing compares to Disneysea!!!

"From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free."
    - Jacques Cousteau

grown-up child
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    An Imagineer told me that Disney here in the U.S. was actually suppressing info on Disney Sea here! That's why you don't see or hear much about it. They're afraid that if the U.S. audience sees it, they'll really compare it to what they got short-changed with California Adventure and Animal Kingdom.
    I totaly believe this. I have friends and family who love Disneyland/WDW (not fanatically just casually) and take their vacations there every few years like clockwork. Most of them have no clue about DisneySea. A lot of them have never even heard of it. If they have, they assumed it was a water park or Tokyo's version of a Downtown Disney.

an Imagineer at heart :)

here's a few things: great videos of rides at Disney sea: www.barrybedford.com
    wonderful pics of Tokyo Disneyland (especially the awesome looking pooh ride) : http://www.tdrfan.com/

I will see if I can find some of my other links, but look in past articles here on Mouseplanet, they have done some really great pieces on the park with gobs of fantastic photos. Also look for Disney Sea on www.Laughingplace.com

sig forcibly removed because it offended Dr. Nick the Disney Fascist
    ------------------------------------------------
    "good thing frogs can hop, or I would have been gone with the Schwin!"

WOW!!! Now I'm ready to jump in the car and rush over there. I only live 1.5hr away from there, but I haven't ever been. My son just hit 102cm (the average hight for rides) so we were kinda waiting for that before we went. We decided to go to Disney Land first and had a fantastic time since he was big enough to ride Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. We had a total blast, but now I'm REALLY looking forward to going to DisneySea. I'm just going to pull him out of school one day and go. I also have to go back to TDL because we didn't get to ride on Buzz Lightyear and my son was BUMMED. But the line was crazy and all the fast passes were taken before we got there. Should have run to that one first. Whoops!

an Imagineer at heart :)

Happy to be of help... wish I lived that close I live waaaaaaaaaay faaar away in Oregon. I would just die if I could visit the tokyo parks, but its way way out of my price range. Oh well, hope you have tons of fun Disney Sea looks just freakin fantastic! I even went our local japanese bookstore and bought some mooks on it.

sig forcibly removed because it offended Dr. Nick the Disney Fascist
    ------------------------------------------------
    "good thing frogs can hop, or I would have been gone with the Schwin!"

We Want More Musicals! Merm8fan's Avatar

You all have me so excited about Tokyo Disney Sea!

I was able to go to TDL 15 years ago (yikes, I'm old!) and it was so charming. Even as an almost duplicate of DL, it had an obvious detail and quality about it. The only odd part was that it had an entry fee, and then you had to buy a ride ticket book, just like the old days at DL. Rides were A-E.

Does TDL, and by association TDS, still operate with ride coupons?

Also, I haven't seen much talk about the cutural differences there. I recall being the only one screaming on several attractions. Then again, being a foreigner over there, I was at times my own attraction, with guests wanting their pictures taken with me!

What's the current (approximate) ratio of locals/Asian guests vs. American/European visitors?

Just like the U.S. parks, TDR has done away with the old ticket system. Of course even in the old days you could buy a passport which gave you unlimited admission to all attractions, but now that's the only way to get in.

Others who go more often than I do can chime in on the ratio of locals/Asians to Americans/Europeans, but I'd put it somewhere between 1000:1 and 10000:1. My wife and I weren't the only Americans at the park, but darn close to it!

Rocket Scientist/Future Imagineer
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", Alan Kay
    Come join the Pleasure Island Lover's Club!

Imagineer in progress...

Thanks everyone......i look forward to possibly taking a trip there sometime in the near future!

"If I could pick any job in the world I would take up office in the Imagineering Building and immerse myself in all of that lunacy and free thinking" -Micheal D. Eisner

A bit late to offer my two pence. We went to DLT and TDS two years ago I think and TDS is the most amazing park ever!

It is so atmospheric and detailed it really is something to just look at. The quality everywhere, even in fast food is amazing. Not to mention the kindness of everybody.

However as has been said anyone who is not Japanese really is an atraction. It makes you realise what it is really like to be in a minority. We saw two other Westeners in our whole three days at the two parks. On the odd attraction such as TJC and the Gondulars in TDS we became part of the show. The Japanese speakers found it funny, but it definatley involved us!!

My favourite part of TDS was the whole atmosphere, the New England area, which really felt like you were in a different part of the world and the Hangar show which was amazing.

One last point the two parks were the busiest Disney parks I have ever visited. There were a lot of people and I mean a lot. The Pooh ride (which is brilliant) had people queueing all around the park, down the parade route and all the fast passes were gone in about half an hour! Pooh is the most popular character / ride there.

But it is a brilliant place and you will enjoy it. Keep in mind though the walk from the Disney area train to the main Tokyo trains at Tokyo station is a long one! (If you aren't staying on property).

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman
    Just like the U.S. parks, TDR has done away with the old ticket system. Of course even in the old days you could buy a passport which gave you unlimited admission to all attractions, but now that's the only way to get in.
    Maybe, in the "old" days this was true. But I think in the "OLD old" days, there was no such thing as an unlimited passport. Am I wrong about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman
    Others who go more often than I do can chime in on the ratio of locals/Asians to Americans/Europeans, but I'd put it somewhere between 1000:1 and 10000:1. My wife and I weren't the only Americans at the park, but darn close to it!
    In my experience, during a day visit to TDL, you'll see a half-dozen or so other groups of Caucasians (not including CMs of course). They definately stick out, but you do see them from time to time.

But come nighttime at TDL, or at any time at DisneySea, you'll rarely see any other Caucasian guests. In my experience, during a nighttime TDL or any TDS visit, I'll see at most one other group with a Caucasian member.

It's certainly true that there are many other guests in the park that you never run into, but I hope the above gives you some rough answer to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDry
    Maybe, in the "old" days this was true. But I think in the "OLD old" days, there was no such thing as an unlimited passport. Am I wrong about this?
    My experience is admittedly limited. My first visit was in 1996, and I still have my Magic Kingdom Club passport from that visit. They may indeed have followed the exact path of the U.S.-based Disney resorts, initially offering only a ticket-based system, then a choice of tickets or pay-one-price passports, leading eventually to only being able to pay for admission at the gate rather than for individual attractions. JoeInJpn? TDRFan?
    Rocket Scientist/Future Imagineer
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", Alan Kay
    Come join the Pleasure Island Lover's Club!

Hello folks,

Yes, there were "all-inclusive, unlimited" passports available from park opening time, as well as the "A-E" and general admission tickets. The latter two media types were discontinued in Spring 2001.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com

JoeInJpn (jtcent@hotmail.com)
    Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Site: http://www.jtcent.com
    Contact me: [ ICQ: 47970628 ] [ Yahoo!: joeinjpn ] [ MSN: jtcent@hotmail.com ] [ AOL: Joe-In-Jpn ]