To Lani, Gemini Cricket, or any others that may know about Hawaiian stuff/the Tiki Room:

After an especially enjoyable Tiki Room visit, I went hunting online to find the lyrics to the Hawaiian War Chant. I found this page which has the whole song (very cool) and I'm going to have to get an mp3 so I can truly learn to sing it.

Now I want to know - what does the song mean? Does anyone have a translation? I found this page which said the following:

The Hawaiian lyrics to "Hawaiian War Chant," which is sung in the Tiki Room, are very difficult to find, but I finally found them on some very old sheet music. Here is the (only) verse and chorus:

Tahuwai la a tahuwai wai la, Ehu hene la a pili koo lua la, Pututui lua ite toe la, Hanu lipo ita paalai. Au we ta hua la. Au we ta hua la.

Unfortunately, the sheet music omitted all appearances of the kahako (macron) and kina (glottal stop) so it is very difficult to know exactly which Hawaiian words were intended. There are also English lyrics by Ralph Freed, but those aren't a translation of the Hawaiian lyrics, and whereas the Hawaiian version repeats the same verse throughout the song, the English version has different lyrics for each verse.
Notice the different spellings of the lyrics. Due to the mention of English fake lyrics, I found
this page. Oddly enough, it doesn't mention the Tiki Room at all, but if you read the English lyrics, you can hum the tune with it.

Anyway, anyone know a real translation of the true Hawaiian War Chant?