Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: The Power of the Force Friday

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

The Power of the Force Friday

The Power of the Force Friday by Todd King

New Star Wars toys are coming so I look back on my toys and what they mean to fans

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff

It's like I just walked back into my friend's house who had all the toys that I didn't have!!! Sweet collection Todd. A little jealous.

Chris

I invested lots of money in the Episode 1 toys. I can't say they are worth anything today. Collectibles are not for the faint of heart. I just noticed lots of recent Star Wars dolls at sale at the Disney Store. Dolls from Rogue are on clearance sale for $5.99 that used to cost $19.99 retail. I didn't buy anything. Star Wars beyond the original trilogy is boring. A thin storyline. Lots of side characters that fit into stereotypes. Not much really there.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I have quite a number of toys from Phantom Menace. I bought what I liked. It would never occur to me to buy toys as an investment.

I have a few things from Force Awakens. I think the only thing I bought from Rogue One (which I loved) was a higher-end replica of K2SO. Again, I bought what I liked.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    It's like I just walked back into my friend's house who had all the toys that I didn't have!!! Sweet collection Todd. A little jealous.

Chris
    Well, most of it is gone and sold - this is what I used to have - so I'm nostalgic for the nostalgia ...
    ~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I have quite a number of toys from Phantom Menace. I bought what I liked. It would never occur to me to buy toys as an investment.

I have a few things from Force Awakens. I think the only thing I bought from Rogue One (which I loved) was a higher-end replica of K2SO. Again, I bought what I liked.
    K2 makes for a good figure!

As for making an investment - it's harder now since there are more collectors and many more items and there is much more awareness of possible value in these things, then again it's hard to tell what will be sought-after in 10-20 years from now. But all this makes it difficult on Force Friday when not everyone can be there at store aisles at midnight
    ~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

Nice trip down memory lane! I had some of those toys like the Falcon, Speeder Bike and Turret and Probot set (I also had the Death Star, but unfortunately some of the pillars ended up broken and needing to be glued back together). My friend had the Droid Factory and the Ewok village.

BTW, I think (though I may be mistaken, didn't take a picture or anything) they are already doing the protocol droids at the Droid Factory section of Tatooine Traders (and presumably at the shop in Disneyland also), as I am pretty sure I saw that during my May visit.

I'll try to remember to watch for new Force Friday stuff. It will be hard for them to generate more excitement than was shown for the Sphero BB-8 from a few years back. While he's cooled off now, that was certainly the highlight 2 years back. I wonder if they will stream it on Starwars.com like they have in the past for each reveal...

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Nice trip down memory lane! I had some of those toys like the Falcon, Speeder Bike and Turret and Probot set (I also had the Death Star, but unfortunately some of the pillars ended up broken and needing to be glued back together). My friend had the Droid Factory and the Ewok village.

BTW, I think (though I may be mistaken, didn't take a picture or anything) they are already doing the protocol droids at the Droid Factory section of Tatooine Traders (and presumably at the shop in Disneyland also), as I am pretty sure I saw that during my May visit.

I'll try to remember to watch for new Force Friday stuff. It will be hard for them to generate more excitement than was shown for the Sphero BB-8 from a few years back. While he's cooled off now, that was certainly the highlight 2 years back. I wonder if they will stream it on Starwars.com like they have in the past for each reveal...
    I hope they stream something for Force Friday - we'll see. It will be impossible to top the BB8 toy but I want to see them try. I'm interested in building 3PO droids and makes me wonder if more build-your-own droid models will be coming (Power/Gonk droids, mouse droids, etc)...?
    ~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwin View Post
    I hope they stream something for Force Friday - we'll see. It will be impossible to top the BB8 toy but I want to see them try. I'm interested in building 3PO droids and makes me wonder if more build-your-own droid models will be coming (Power/Gonk droids, mouse droids, etc)...?
    The new Sphero offerings look interesting. I can't tell if they will be as popular as BB-8 was 2 years ago, but IMO they hold promise! I'm not ordering today in anticipation of the frenzy or anything, but they have my attention.

The R2-D2 would seem to be very close to the right scale to go with the original BB-8 Sphero toy. I will guess BB-9E will be a hot seller.
    -Dave

[QUOTE=Dave1313;1958766]The new Sphero offerings look interesting. I can't tell if they will be as popular as BB-8 was 2 years ago, but IMO they hold promise! I'm not ordering today in anticipation of the frenzy or anything, but they have my attention.

Agreed. I believe they will do well. Then there's that Lego Millennium Falcon for $800 ... that's some extreme bricking

~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwin View Post

Agreed. I believe they will do well. Then there's that Lego Millennium Falcon for $800 ... that's some extreme bricking
    I'll have to review again (was looking at Starwars.com this morning a bit), I didn't notice the Lego Falcon (not that I anticipate laying out $800 to get one though ).

I'd also suspect the 2 new Magicbands may be popular. The Chewie/Porgs one especially.
    -Dave