Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disneyland Resort Update for August 14 - August 20, 2017

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Disneyland Resort Update for August 14 - August 20, 2017

Disneyland Resort Update for August 14 - August 20, 2017 by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix

Lights out for the Main Street Electrical Parade | Downtown Disney changes parking policy | Taste of Downtown Disney Districtkicks off 2017 CHOC Walk campaign | This and that

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I'm kinda torn, I'll be going to Anaheim this week but only really want to do one day at one of the parks and not both since it's so expensive...on the one hand, I'd love to see the Main Street Electrical Parade again as it's been obviously many years since I've seen it. But on the other, been really wanting to ride the new Guardians of the Galaxy reskin at California Adventure. Why can't they just tear up the walkway inbetween and make 1 mega park with 1 admission and not the extra parkhopper nonsense lol (yes I know why they don't obviously, $$$, but still).

As inconvenient as this new policy will be for some Downtown Disney customers, the reality is that the Downtown Disney lot as we know it will close in 2018 when construction begins on a planned 700-room hotel and adjacent parking structure. Once that happens, some visitors may long for the days when they could park as close as the Rainforest Cafe, rather than the Mickey and Friends parking structure.
    I guess I probably at least sort of saw that announcement last June, but this made me go look it up to refresh my memory.

Being a fan of walking from M&F and seeing how the new path to do that is through the DTD lot (or am I mistaken? I haven't been since that change, but followed the security checkpoint topic a bit when it was announced), the first thing that came t mind is that there will be no choice but to take the tram once that construction is under way. Ugh!

As twisted as it sounds (I really do realize most people would not suggest a highlight of their day is to walk back to their car! ), the ability to walk back to my car after staying to the Park closing is one of the big positives of visits to DLR vs those to MK in WDW. As much as the long walk is not an ideal day ending, I prefer it over waiting in a line for a lot of trams to come and go as the crowd fills them up.
    -Dave

I know they blocked off the gated walkway, but once the hotel construction starts I imagine they could either add a temporary screening checkpoint there or maybe just turn it into an exit only gate. An exit only gate may be the best solution because it would probably need to be minimally manned but wouldn't have any bottlenecks for screening.

Hi Dave, I'm no expert on this, but last time I was there (in March of this year) I was able to walk to/from the Mickey & Friends garage without cutting through the DTD parking lot. There was a sidewalk that guests were using instead of the trams that led to the security checkpoint at the Disneyland Hotel side of DTD. It ran alongside the road from the garage to DTD, crossing the street at the light. Not sure if it will be affected by construction, but it never required you to walk through the lot. I'm with you, I like to be able to walk! Wouldn't want the tram to be the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeB View Post
    Hi Dave, I'm no expert on this, but last time I was there (in March of this year) I was able to walk to/from the Mickey & Friends garage without cutting through the DTD parking lot. There was a sidewalk that guests were using instead of the trams that led to the security checkpoint at the Disneyland Hotel side of DTD. It ran alongside the road from the garage to DTD, crossing the street at the light. Not sure if it will be affected by construction, but it never required you to walk through the lot. I'm with you, I like to be able to walk! Wouldn't want the tram to be the only option.
    Thanks for the clarification.

I'm probably also a bit uninformed of the exact area that is defined as DTD parking, having never parked there. At least I don't think I have ever parked there. Only on one of my visits when M&F was full I was routed somewhere a bit further south, but I do not know for sure what that lot was. I only vaguely recall that I thought it was adjacent to a tower of a hotel (PP or the southernmost DL Hotel tower? But I would have guessed those were hotel lots).

I had this vision of what looks like 3 large fields just north of the DL Hotel to the road that is between there and the M&F area all being what will be under construction, so I am probably off base there. It's good to know there is a sidewalk somewhere that may remain open on the perimeter of the area that will be under construction.
    -Dave

Just an FYI, they no longer offer the snowman tote or castle throw for the purchase addons (which really sucks for me as I've been wanting that throw, same thing happened when I was at WDW in May). Instead it's a beach blanket for $14.99 or a backpack for $19.99. Sigh

Just curious...why do the park crowd numbers seem high for next week? Aren't the kids back in school?

Living life to the fullest

http://www.oilyhabit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by familymemories View Post
    Just curious...why do the park crowd numbers seem high for next week? Aren't the kids back in school?
    Not all and SoCal passes unblock on Monday.

The Downtown Disney lots are the ones on the Disneyland Hotel side of Magic Way. You walk along the sidewalk close enough to the Disneyland hotel that they may be able to wall it off to still allow pedestrian traffic during construction. That driveway accesses the DL hotel as well. I believe the big lot adjacent to Rainforest and ESPN zone is where the new hotel is going.