Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World Announcements at D23 Expo 2017

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World Announcements at D23 Expo 2017

My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World Announcements at D23 Expo 2017 by Chris Barry

Chris gushes about the future of Walt Disney World as revealed at this past week's D23 Expo

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I think I'm in the same camp as you--this is good stuff and TRON! And after all that, I'm just as excited that the China pavilion will get a new film! I missed that announcement.

~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

I had been kind of rooting for more countries coming to world showcase, but I'm excited they're doing ANYTHING with Epcot. I think I'd drop Star Wars Hotel since as an Orlando resident it's rare I stay at the hotels, but I don't know if I want to be fully immersed during my "downtime" from parks even if I wasn't. I would however add the Mickey ride at DHS into my list in it's place. The Great Movie Ride had long since lost any appeal to me, so the change is welcome, although I wonder if DHS is at this point completely unusable with so many rides out of commission.

I never hit Epcot until 2002, so I only got the very edge of what was the "old" Epcot. Horizons had already shut down at that point. But I'm a fan of them introducing new stuff to Epcot. Even though it's not as "adult" anymore, with the execution of a bunch of the great live acts, Epcot was desperate for something. And while I place GotG at the very scum-settled bottom of the Marvel Universe, anything is an improvement at the UoE. It was slow, dull, and Ellen was like fingernails on a chalkboard. I kept rooting for the dinosaurs to eat her!!!

As for Tron, I mean TRON!!!!, that's awesome! It's been a while since I've been to WDW, but I'll be willing to spend the dough to fly out there with the family just to hit a Tron coaster.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

Hi Chris! I was delighted to read about all the upcoming changes to WDW, but you've made me downright giddy with your enthusiasm! 😄 I'll que up right behind you for all these cool experiences. Let's go!

Tron is not a new ride. It's a clone of a ride at another Disney park. Ratatouille will not be a new ride either. It's a clone of a ride at another Disney park. You can ride either of them right now by visiting those parks.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwin View Post
    I think I'm in the same camp as you--this is good stuff and TRON! And after all that, I'm just as excited that the China pavilion will get a new film! I missed that announcement.
    Hey Todd,

Good stuff coming down the pike for sure. And yes, the update to the Canada movie was good to see so China is due.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by mkelm44 View Post
    I had been kind of rooting for more countries coming to world showcase, but I'm excited they're doing ANYTHING with Epcot. I think I'd drop Star Wars Hotel since as an Orlando resident it's rare I stay at the hotels, but I don't know if I want to be fully immersed during my "downtime" from parks even if I wasn't. I would however add the Mickey ride at DHS into my list in it's place. The Great Movie Ride had long since lost any appeal to me, so the change is welcome, although I wonder if DHS is at this point completely unusable with so many rides out of commission.
    The announcement referred to the Mickey ride as a game changer, so that indeed does look promising.

I'm happy going to the Studios right now for Star Tours, Muppets, Toy Story, Tower of Terror, Little Mermaid, the Star Wars fireworks and Launch Bay, and Fantasmic! That's plenty for me. I'm not such a huge fan of the park to begin with. My favorites are open. I go, enjoy them and then I leave. That will all change in 2019 though. I'm going to have to like it there !!

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    I never hit Epcot until 2002, so I only got the very edge of what was the "old" Epcot. Horizons had already shut down at that point. But I'm a fan of them introducing new stuff to Epcot. Even though it's not as "adult" anymore, with the execution of a bunch of the great live acts, Epcot was desperate for something. And while I place GotG at the very scum-settled bottom of the Marvel Universe, anything is an improvement at the UoE. It was slow, dull, and Ellen was like fingernails on a chalkboard. I kept rooting for the dinosaurs to eat her!!!

As for Tron, I mean TRON!!!!, that's awesome! It's been a while since I've been to WDW, but I'll be willing to spend the dough to fly out there with the family just to hit a Tron coaster.

Wow Gator! The Guardians are one of my favorite things that Marvel has come out with recently! Didn't know them at all when the movie came out. Went to see it and LOVED it right away. Bought the comics. Watched the animated series. LOVED the 2nd film. To each his own I suppose.

I agree that Ellen was past it's prime.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by TulaBelle View Post
    Hi Chris! I was delighted to read about all the upcoming changes to WDW, but you've made me downright giddy with your enthusiasm! I'll que up right behind you for all these cool experiences. Let's go!
    Hey TulaBelle,

I'm glad that my enthusiasm is infectious!!

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Tron is not a new ride. It's a clone of a ride at another Disney park. Ratatouille will not be a new ride either. It's a clone of a ride at another Disney park. You can ride either of them right now by visiting those parks.

Very true, but rather unfortunately, I don't see myself headed to France or China anytime soon, but Orlando is always there for me! I was more referring to them as new structures and builds as opposed to them closing something and replacing as they are with The Great Movie Ride and Ellen, or like they did with Frozen. I'm excited that we're not losing anything for Tron and Ratatouille. I was all ready to see the Speedway go for Tron, as the rumors stated. I'm glad the rumors were incorrect and they're adding something instead of replacing something.

I'm with you Chris. Great article as always, and I'm really excited about all of the above. For some reason, Ratatouille tops my list, but it all looks amazing. As far as Epcot and Disney IP, I too see the objection, but that said, I think they've woven what they've done so far into the park beautifully (Frozen, Nemo) and I'm sure they'll do the same with Guardians. The bottom line is when people want Disney, they want Disney. Any attempt at creating a Disney experience without Mickey and Co. hasn't gone over well with the general public, so they have to give their fans what they want. As long as this keeps giving them the excuse to create great new experiences, I'm in.

My hope is that Guardians, the updates to Mission Space and the new restaurant drive so much foot traffic to that side of EPCOT that the old Wonders of Life pavilion gets some life breathed into it in the near future besides being the HQ for the various festivals. Overall I'm excited for all the changes headed to WDW.

"They must be putting something in the water," Springsteen said during the encore, "because Greensboro is consistently one of the best audiences in the United States. But I don't know why! Why?! Damn!" - Bruce Springsteen May 2, 2009 Greensboro, NC