Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: A Non-Trip Report

A Non-Trip Report

I just finished a great weekend in SoCal, mostly visiting family. I got some Disney park time in, but not really enough to make a trip report out of. Still, a couple of thoughts . . .

I was really worried about the impact of D23 on Disneyland, but I guess I was always there when most of the crowds were in the convention center. In fact, doing rope drop on Sunday morning, the crowd was probably the smallest I've seen in a long time. We (my little brother, his wife and me) didn't wait in a line longer than 5 minutes all morning. The longest line of the day was the 30 minute queue at Indy, AT NOON! We could have done single rider and got on even quicker, but we all wanted to walk through the queue and enjoy the A/C, so 30 minutes wasn't bad (and the actual wait was closer to 20 minutes!).

Hot in SoCal, but not nearly as hot as here in Dallas. Just staying in the shade kept things cool enough.

Lincoln is listing a bit to the left. He had a most definite lean to him. He was able to stand up and sit down without bumping his chair around, but it was close. Perhaps a calibration is in order.

The whole "Extra Magic Hour" thing is very misleading! There is also a thing called "Magic Morning". The "Extra Magic Hour" is only for Disney hotel guests. The other benefit that comes with multi-day tickets is the "Magic Morning", which is only at Disneyland park on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. In other words, if you are not staying at a Disney hotel, you can NEVER take advantage of an early morning in DCA. I made this mistake Monday morning, attempting to enter DCA at 7am (one hour early). They told me that this early entry was only for Disney hotel guests. I talked to a manager, who told me the same thing. To her credit, when I whined "you mean I have to just sit around for an hour?", she passed me in anyway. Moral of the story - make sure you know which benefit you have.

Bottom line - great visits to the parks (and great martinis at the Uva Bar!).

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

2. # ADS

I thought your moral was to stay in the parks hotels

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Can't afford the California park hotels!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I can afford the room rate, I just can't afford all the taxes and fees that California levies on people who want to visit their state and spend money. Hotel fees, parking, miscellaneous fees etc. etc. etc.
    They got their message through to me loud and clear "WE DON"T WANT YOU HERE!!!"

And yes, Seattle is quickly becoming the same way!!

Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    I can afford the room rate, I just can't afford all the taxes and fees that California levies on people who want to visit their state and spend money. Hotel fees, parking, miscellaneous fees etc. etc. etc.

No, the message is "We want you here but we're gonna make you pay dearly for it". California Native here(Northern) and I have to pay the say taxes and fees to stay in a hotel in my own state when I need to so it is not just out of state travelers. It's not like California gives anyone a break. Except politicians. LOL

Darlene aka MotoGP Goddess

Blog Entries

Just to clarify, I see this at hotels in any large city. My son just got back from San Antonio, where the taxes on rooms are 16.75%, and parking was $30 a day, plus $30 for a daily resort fee. Go to Vegas, you will pay 14% taxes and anywhere from free to $35 to parking. Go to Charlotte NC, and expect 15.25% tax on a room and $10-$18 for parking.

Now you can go to Disneyland, and stay a couple miles further out, away from the Anaheim Resort, even just into Fullerton, you can drop the tax rate from 17% to 10% and parking can be free.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

That was what I was forgetting. That darn resort fee! It really is a punishing system they have, instead of welcoming visitors with disposable income they punish them.

Blog Entries
    That was what I was forgetting. That darn resort fee! It really is a punishing system they have, instead of welcoming visitors with disposable income they punish them.
    Yep, City of Anaheim has a $5 resort fee. (Avoid Dana Point, $14 fee.) Not as bad as some I have seen. One I love is in Reno, where you pay the resort fee up front and it is not refundable if you cancel the room!
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Now you can go to Disneyland, and stay a couple miles further out, away from the Anaheim Resort, even just into Fullerton, you can drop the tax rate from 17% to 10% and parking can be free.
    Did that several years back, taking Metrolink into Fullerton and I believe stayed at the HoJo's just over the line. Since I took the train there I had to use city bus to get to and from the park. Wasn't really worth the savings.
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020