Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Hotel Selection Dilemma

Hotel Selection Dilemma

I need some opinions on something. I almost always stay on site at WDW, if for no other reason than I get to book FP's 60 days out. But for my next trip in September, right in the middle of the F&W, a lot of hotels are already booked up, and the best rate I can find is a book rate at the All Stars for around $600 for my 4 night stay.

Now, if I go offsite, there's a great Mousesavers rate at the Buena Vista Suites - $85-$95 per night, with every other night $59. So the total would be around $300 for a 4 night stay. This is a killer deal, but I'd lose out on 60-day FP's. I'd still do 30-day FP's, and since I have an AP I'll get to park for free.

So, what would you do? Stay on site and get the early FP booking window, or go off site and save about $300?

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I need some opinions on something. I almost always stay on site at WDW, if for no other reason than I get to book FP's 60 days out. But for my next trip in September, right in the middle of the F&W, a lot of hotels are already booked up, and the best rate I can find is a book rate at the All Stars for around $600 for my 4 night stay.

Now, if I go offsite, there's a great Mousesavers rate at the Buena Vista Suites - $85-$95 per night, with every other night $59. So the total would be around $300 for a 4 night stay. This is a killer deal, but I'd lose out on 60-day FP's. I'd still do 30-day FP's, and since I have an AP I'll get to park for free.

So, what would you do? Stay on site and get the early FP booking window, or go off site and save about $300?
    Personally I can't imagine staying anywhere but on site at WDW. But looking at your case, what FastPasses would be worth $300 to you?
    2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company

I'd agree with pixar.

With you being a frequent visitor, unless you will absolutely feel bad about not being on site (in which case I assume you wouldn't have asked for opinions ), I would go the off-site route. That being said, I have a very wide range of acceptable hotel/motel accommodations that would probably make some cringe.

The new Pandora attractions are probably the only things you have got small to zero chance of getting a FP+ looking only 30 days out (at least when I looked slightly after it opened - maybe this will change with school back in session when you go - but as we all know there really is no "slow" time at WDW). Maybe Frozen Ever After is still a challenge, I'm not sure. Other stuff, I would guess you could get a FP+ for sometime, just maybe not have good luck optimizing with other planned activities (not sure how many other ADR's you generally try to do during F&W trips?).

-Dave

Hotel Selection Dilemma

I'd stay off site given you don't mind driving and invest in the Ultimate Day of Thrills Tour. Best day out me and DD have ever had at Disney I can highly recommend. Apart from the food. The food was dire. (Sunshine Seasons. It used to be Hollywood Brown Derby).

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess for me, I would at least split the difference. Maybe start out off site then go onsite....
    I really cant imagine staying off site - I think I would constantly be judging things.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I haven't stayed offsite since my first trip in '86. Next May we will have 4 adults (in Disney's eyes) and 1 child in one room. I want to stay at POR for a bit so our newbie can experience it. However, Disney has raised the additional adult fee to $25/night so our rate will be $50 more. We are going to stay at POR for 3 nights, get 60 day FP+ then move to hopefully Caribe Royale for the next 5 nights. I would rather stay at POR the entire trip but 5 in 1 room will get too crowded and the suites at AoA are too $$$. My suggestion is try a split stay of 1 night onsite then relocate for remainder. You still get 60 day fp+ just have to do it daily rather than all at once.

Michelle
    offsite '86, ASMo '01, POR '02, CBR '05, POR '08, POR '10, BCV '10, Pop '11, BC '14, DL offsite '15, POR '16, FQ '17, POR '18, SSR '19, POR/BWI '19, BLT/BWV '20

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    I really cant imagine staying off site - I think I would constantly be judging things.
    This is what I was going to chime in with! Dan - (like us!!! haha!) you enjoy a cocktail or three whilst at EPCOT, wouldn't staying onsite afford you the ability to still be able to indulge in the places you like to frequent with the benefit of having free transportation back to your resort. That would be worth the $300 to me alone, being able to enjoy a drink or three without worrying about it. Myself personally, I think I'd be faced with the prospect of having to drive back to another place and thinking to myself "I should have ponied up the extra $300".
    I'm pro-bubble.

I'm normally pro-bubble too. And an extra $300 for a moderate would be worth it. I'm not sure if it's worth it for an All Stars.

- James Taylor

Either way, looking forward to the trip report. Maybe something will open up for you at one of the moderates soon? I am really looking forward to the release of the fall/winter hotel specials. Any day now.

There's an idea, make reservations at the All Star and keep checking moderates for openings.

Not a bad idea, ericles.

- James Taylor

Dan I'm pro-bubble too. But if you have to stay off site maybe you can get a room across from Disney Springs. Then you might still feel like you are near the magic.
    Also, I wanted you to know that I had the weirdest prices pop up when looking for September rooms. Stuff like All Star at $600 and a moderate at $1423. Just weird stuff?! So I'd close my browser and wait 15 minutes and try again. Then I got an awesome rate! Keep trying me friend.

Time is running out. If I want to take advantage of this $300 deal I have to book (and pay in full!) by tomorrow. I'm still not sure which way I'm gonna go.

- James Taylor

In reading back over your responses, I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and book the All Stars. My vacation time is very valuable to me, and I don't want to waste any time being upset at my choices. It's a few extra bucks, but as someone said I can still keep an eye out for a better deal. Thanks for your input!

- James Taylor

Have a fun trip, I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a early 2018 trip once I get back from my non-wdw trip in Sept.!

Our staying off property for half of our trip didn't last long. Yesterday, my folks said they'll come with us, so now my youngest can bunk with them. We'll still have 4 adults in a room but we can sleep comfortably at POR for the length of our stay. Happy to be staying in the bubble for the whole trip

Michelle
    offsite '86, ASMo '01, POR '02, CBR '05, POR '08, POR '10, BCV '10, Pop '11, BC '14, DL offsite '15, POR '16, FQ '17, POR '18, SSR '19, POR/BWI '19, BLT/BWV '20

In reading back over your responses, I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and book the All Stars. My vacation time is very valuable to me, and I don't want to waste any time being upset at my choices. It's a few extra bucks, but as someone said I can still keep an eye out for a better deal. Thanks for your input!
    One of the few times we had a car at WDW we were trying to find a Catholic Church to go to Mass and we inadvertently went outside the bubble. It was palpable. We got back inside the bubble as quick as we could.

I managed to get a good deal (at an all-star) by going through priceline a week before. Might be worth trying!

Well, the main reason to book is to get the 60 day FP deal, so I went ahead and booked.

- James Taylor

Hey, LoveCats - what's with us having the same ticker? Did you copy me, or did I copy you? Or are we both just brilliant designers?

- James Taylor

Hey, LoveCats - what's with us having the same ticker? Did you copy me, or did I copy you? Or are we both just brilliant designers?
    I think we are not only brilliant designers but also amazing people. Top of the tops, best of the best, lovable troublemakers, etc...

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We always stay at the SoG, but if we didn't I would have booked on-site like you did.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."