Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: D23 Expo: Questions, Strategies, Panels, Merchandise, Whatnot

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb D23 Expo: Questions, Strategies, Panels, Merchandise, Whatnot

With less than a month until the 2017 D23 Expo - thought it would be a good time to share words of wisdom from past attendees. This year seems to have even more events and panels, and you are not going to be able to get to everything (unless you don't plan to sleep or eat for three days).

So how do you plan? Share your tips!

And - just a plug - don't forget to swing by the MousePlanet Booth and say "hi!"

Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

2. # ADS

There's a good schedule on the D23 Expo page. I've made my own spreadsheet to start planning which panels I would like to attend.

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    There's a good schedule on the D23 Expo page. I've made my own spreadsheet to start planning which panels I would like to attend.
    Oh my goodness. I hope people record things for youtube (especially the Golden Girls panel)! My goal is to buy a copy of "A Kiss Goodnight" -- it is a small goal, but I think it is achievable
    Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar

My cousin in Paso Robles just posted these pics from somewhere. This guy does carvings from reclaimed Giant Redwood. Evidently has a TV show (I haven't seen it) called The Redwood Kings. These were made special for D23.

19225210_10209380682695289_7445394731969331281_n.jpg
    19366181_10209380682375281_6639580164807074566_n.jpg

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

We have our print out, too. Highlighters ready for our must dos, would like to dos, and will take if the other two are not open. Must restrain self on shopping.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

there have been lots of teasers about merchandise for Disney Store and some notes on the DreamStore still being there - but official schedules of releases at DreamStore have not been made yet. You can bet that Mickey's of Glendale will have a huge line for SW Land Merch (my assumption since the SW Land pavilion will be in full swing). It also seemed like some of the locations (Oh My Disney stage as an example) are separate from the usual locations for panels but will also have interviews and discussions. THey have not released ShoppingPass or ShowPass info yet - but these would be key for larger panels.

I agree you won't get to everything. Stuff is overlapped a lot -especially with the one off things like the "Maps of Disneyland" book discussion after the signing. To me - you can bet that maybe some of the larger panels, except for the biggest like Animation. Movies and PArks- will get youtubed. So - maybe you skip the medium ones. Its a gamble for sure.

I am surprised that we're less than a month away and the D23 App has not been released either. I have not started my formal planning but have been putting timing into my Google Calendar so that events are in my phone already.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Has anyone received their tickets yet? D23 said they started mailing them out on the 15th. People on other boards (e.g. on the East coast) are reporting having received them already. We're getting a little antsy here.

Blog Entries

None yet. I'm with you - antsy

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

So I am wondering what strategy to use to get into the DisneyStore first thing Friday. Do I go directly into the store line or do I go and get a storepass for a later time taking a chance that an item I want will sell out early and not be available when I get in later in the morning?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfn View Post
    So I am wondering what strategy to use to get into the DisneyStore first thing Friday. Do I go directly into the store line or do I go and get a storepass for a later time taking a chance that an item I want will sell out early and not be available when I get in later in the morning?
    Remember that folks who buy the sorcerer package are in there already but I would get in line for a store pass. Unless u get there REALLY early (like near the front before the gates open) and head for the store.

Tickets arrived today! Info for Stage Pass and Store Pass is included on the info sheet. Since the entry line will be open to all (no Gold Member line this time) and since there will be bag check and metal detectors, I'm dreading the thought of how early we'll have to get there just for morning entry (not even talking about lining up for Hall D23). Hope the food trucks will be serving early!

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Since the entry line will be open to all (no Gold Member line this time) and since there will be bag check and metal detectors, I'm dreading the thought of how early we'll have to get there just for morning entry (not even talking about lining up for Hall D23).
    Yuck - the lack of guest control is the reason we are staffing the mouseplanet booth and not coming as visitors.
    Hakuna Matata

. Hope the food trucks will be serving early![/QUOTE] Doubtful, last time they didn't open until 11 am. The food stand inside last time didn't open until 5 am and then ran out of food and coffee within minutes.Not sure even if you will be able to go to Starbucks and come back as they say no outside food allowed as well as no reentry once you leave the building first thing in the morning.

Blog Entries

received my credential today. No Gold line to get in the building but Gold seating at events. Did they have that last year? Also StorePass and ShowPass look unchanged. In fact - a lot of stuff looks unchanged except for a couple of gift opportunities for Gold members. The trick will be to plan your day(s) carefully in case you want to shop as you have to choose a time slot (and if its gone, another slot) to get in. And with a more than packed event schedule this could be a challenge. Don't forget many pavilions (like Disney Animation and Pixar) have their own presentations and giveaways throughout the weekend - be sure to check your favorites.

... Doubtful, last time they didn't open until 11 am...Not sure even if you will be able to go to Starbucks and come back as they say no outside food allowed as well as no reentry once you leave the building first thing in the morning.
    The food trucks were open for us and other people around us early in the morning while we stood in the entry line last year. Thank goodness for breakfast burritos! After the initial entry rush/chaos, we were allowed to get food from Starbucks and the trucks and bring it back into the convention center.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    received my credential today. No Gold line to get in the building but Gold seating at events. Did they have that last year?..
    The Gold seating is new this year. It appears to be the concession to paying members since there is no early entry line (hahahaha -- when did we ever actually enter early?) this year.

3 Day passes are sold out. Now only single day passes for Friday and Sunday are available.

Need suggestions as to what to do. I plan on being there early each day around 4am and need to sit rather stand/sit for hours on the cement floor due to a bad back. I contacted d23 and they said no chairs are allowed such as lawn or folding chairs unlike last time. What can I do or how do I get to have a seat in line while waiting to be let in? Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Need suggestions as to what to do. I plan on being there early each day around 4am and need to sit rather stand/sit for hours on the cement floor due to a bad back. I contacted d23 and they said no chairs are allowed such as lawn or folding chairs unlike last time. What can I do or how do I get to have a seat in line while waiting to be let in? Any suggestions?
    I don't see how they can tell u no lawn chairs outside. Inside the convention center I understand but outside while u wait? If u do use one outside you'd have to have someone hold your spot while u return your chair to the car.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    I don't see how they can tell u no lawn chairs outside. Inside the convention center I understand but outside while u wait? If u do use one outside you'd have to have someone hold your spot while u return your chair to the car.
    As I recall, last time, the queue for the major panels was inside the convention center, on a lower floor. Outside queue was 2 Expos ago.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    As I recall, last time, the queue for the major panels was inside the convention center, on a lower floor. Outside queue was 2 Expos ago.
    u r right though I meant prior to opening for each day.

I personally got an inflatable seating pad off of amazon for waiting. It rolls up and will fit in my backpack. You might also be able to get one of those stadium seating things that has a back.

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

Quote Originally Posted by Nikara View Post
    I personally got an inflatable seating pad off of amazon for waiting. It rolls up and will fit in my backpack...
    We got these, too. They are very portable, which was an important factor for us. Highly recommend making friends with the people in line around you so that you can get up and walk around when you need to.

Blog Entries

So the app was released today. On Google Play it did say D23 expo 2017. Yesterday after installation it's the 2015 app with the 2015 schedule. Did anyone else have this problem?

Blog Entries

They have now fixed the Google play link

So the app was released today. On Google Play it did say D23 expo 2017. Yesterday after installation it's the 2015 app with the 2015 schedule. Did anyone else have this problem?

Had that problem the first day too, but refreshing in Google Play offered me an Update... then was able to fix!