Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My food adventures May 5 through 12

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar

My food adventures May 5 through 12

Well, I don't really do trip reports, partly because I dont have a great memory so it would be difficult (and trust me, you'd be bored to tears), but this was actually the first trip where I've made ADR's so I thought Id comment about some of those restaurants. Ive always just done quick service or just walked up for table service. Until my last trip always had good luck with walk-ups, but on that trip I got rejected at the Biergarten and at Sci-Fi Dine-In. I got lucky and checking the app found a reservation for the Biergarten for 20 minutes later, but no joy for the other. So this prompted me for my May trip to make at least one ADR for each day.

Day One
    For my first day I had a lunch reservation for Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater and a dinner reservation for the Brown Derby. Now, having never eaten at most of the restaurants I had reservations for I wanted to try many things and over-ordered at each restaurant and by the time I was done with the first day decided I needed to cancel one of the ADRs on the only other day I had both lunch and dinner reservations (more on those later). They had to roll me out of the Brown Derby.

At the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater I couldnt decide on an appetizer so I just ordered the appetizer sampler. Boneless Buffalo wings, fried dill pickles and spinach artichoke dip (with chips for the dip and dipping sauces for the other two). This would have been plenty but I also wanted to try the turkey sandwich. The appetizers were quite good, I wont really comment on the sandwich only because I was already pretty full by the time that arrived, but it was ok. But the main reason I made the reservation here wasnt about the food, it was about the atmosphere, and I loved it! Saw some great clips on the screen. The only bad thing was my old eyes had trouble reading the menu in the dark lighting.
    That evening at the Brown Derby I started off with their Famous Cobb Salad. I was less than impressed. Have had far better cobb salads. Cant complain too much because I had read several reviews saying the same thing. That was followed by the Charred Filet of Beef. Now Ive heard people use the word soft instead of tender when describing a piece of meat. Never made sense to me until I ate this steak. It was very soft. It was much easier to cut than the butter they brought with my bread. I could have cut it with my spoon. My only complaint was that my medium-rare steak came out more like rare, but it was still very very good.

Day Two
    My one ADR today was at Jiko at 8pm. I arrived early and they were able to seat me pretty quickly. For the appetizer I had planned on ordering the Crispy Game Bobotie Roll but it was no longer on the menu so I started off with the Grilled Wild Boar Tenderloin (at the recommendation of the server). It was decent but nothing special. I had also planned on ordering the Botswana-style Seswaa Beef Short Ribs, but in someone elses review they were over the top about the Mac n Cheese that came with the Filet Mignon, so I ordered that. Well, I wish I had stayed with the Short Ribs. The Mac n Cheese was ok, but nothing special, and the steak was a little below average (but maybe I was swayed by the one I had the night before). It was cooked just about right but the quality of the cut of meat was far below that of the Brown Derby. However I must say that the couple next to me ordered the same steak and they were beyond happy with it, commenting that they couldnt wait to come back and order it again. I, however, will order the Short Ribs if I return. I finished with Safari Sunset which was quite tasty.

Day Three
    Today for dinner was La Hacienda de San Angel. Unfortunately I was impatient and had a somewhat late lunch at the Cantina so I wasnt especially hungry. I started off with the Crema de Elote which I had heard good things about, and I thought it was truly amazing. After I finished it I wished I could have just ordered a half-gallon bowl of that and nothing else. I then ordered the Taquiza which was a taco sampler (4 different tacos). It was ok, but nothing really special, but again it may have been my being a little full swaying my thoughts.

Day Four
    This was my only other day where I had both a lunch and dinner reservation and based on day one I decided to cancel one of them. I had a lunch reservation for Sanaa and a dinner reservation for Yak and Yeti. I decided to cancel Yak and Yeti. After eating at Sanaa I decided I had made the right choice (although now I need to try Yak and Yeti to see what I missed). At Sanaa I started off with the bread service. I had heard nothing but good things about it and I agreed. Im typically not a bread person but was awesome. I had intended to also order the Boerewors and Slaphakskeentjies (dont ask me what the Slaphakskeentjies was, I dont remember) but again a changed menu caused me to pick something else. I went with the Boerwors and Spiced Eggs (sausage and spiced hardboiled eggs) It was tasty but not amazing. But, eating almost all of the bread service by myself as well as the other appetizer put me back in that same situation as before, full before my main course. Oh well, maybe some day Ill learn. For my main course I ordered the Tandoori Shrimp which is served on top of some Naan Bread and I believe intended to be eaten like a taco. I was already too full of bread and just ate the shrimp and other fillings with a fork and left the bread. It was also quite tasty.

Day Five
    This was the day I was probably looking forward to most. I had a reservation at Le Cellier (Ill avoid calling it Le Basement this time so as not to stir up Dan). I started with the Signature Poutine. I had never had poutine before. If the Signature Poutine here is representative of the average poutine then I have to say Im not a big fan. It wasnt bad, I just was expecting something more I guess. Probably built it up in my head too much. I followed that with my third Filet Mignon of the visit. This one was not quite as amazing of a cut as I had at Brown Derby but it was cooked to perfection. Very tasty.

Day Six
    For this day I had a 6:50 reservation for Rose and Crown but decided I wasnt up for another late dinner so I cancelled it and did a late lunch at Via Napoli instead. I had pizza of course but started out with Salame e Provolone and Arancini. The Arancini was pretty darn good. The pizza was pretty darn good as well.

Day Seven
    I had no ADRs for day seven but had thought about heading to the Biergarten since I had eaten there at virtually every previous visit. Instead I decided to head over to my hotel by Universal early in the day. It was kind of a mistake but that is another story.

Not food related (although I did eat popcorn there) but I spent two evenings at Jellyrolls while I was staying at Boardwalk Inn (my last 3 nights of the 7) and had a great time. Will return there on my next trip. Also not food related, but I used the Express Transportation. The cost for my seven day trip was quite reasonable and I found it useful, but I'm not a big park hopper so I doubt I would use it for a shorter trip where the cost/day would be higher. Had some good chats with the drivers during the trips (since more often than not I was the only one on the bus).

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

2. # ADS

I should not of read this during my lunch period! My meal of broth and berries and salad was very empty feeling.

Sanaa's bread service is the best. Next time I go, I'm heading to the bar and eating this and only this all by myself. SO GOOD.

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveCats View Post
    I should not of read this during my lunch period! My meal of broth and berries and salad was very empty feeling.

Sanaa's bread service is the best. Next time I go, I'm heading to the bar and eating this and only this all by myself. SO GOOD.
    I was thinking of going back just for the bread service but didn't want to worry about making an ADR, but if I can get it in the lounge then maybe I'll do that. Have you had the bread service in the lounge before? I assume it's the same but when I just looked at the menu's the lounge says "choice of three breads" while the restaurant says "choice of five breads" but the price is the same so I'm guessing it was just a typo (or mix-up with the accompaniments which you get three of).
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

Quote Originally Posted by quackinup View Post
    I was thinking of going back just for the bread service but didn't want to worry about making an ADR, but if I can get it in the lounge then maybe I'll do that. Have you had the bread service in the lounge before? I assume it's the same but when I just looked at the menu's the lounge says "choice of three breads" while the restaurant says "choice of five breads" but the price is the same so I'm guessing it was just a typo (or mix-up with the accompaniments which you get three of).
    Oh no! Really? I hope not, because all I want is the breads. Hahah. I guess I could do two orders.