Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Security issue in New Orleans Square night of 6/4/2017

Security issue in New Orleans Square night of 6/4/2017

Last night we were just entering New Orleans Square at 11:30 pm, crossing the bridge over the PoTC entrance, when we heard a cast member making an announcement to the folks eating at the patio tables at the Royal Street Veranda. He announced twice that when guests were finished eating, for their own safety, please exit toward the Rivers of America. We started paying more attention and noticed security cast members were not allowing people to enter Royal Street. There were emergency lights flashing inside all the shops and eateries, including upstairs at Club 33, and we could hear what sounded like a muted fire alarm coming from inside one or more of the buildings. PoTC was also closed. Guests leaving the area didn't seem alarmed, just puzzled. There were little knots of cast members and security people moving here and there, but no real indication of what was happening. We asked a cast member and he would only say that they were closing that area of the park temporarily.

Does anybody here have any insight into what happened?

2. # ADS

You'd be surprised how often half of a land gets closed for unattended bags. It just doesn't get shared that often because people get rerouted, the land reopens and they continue on with their day. I don't think I've seen the lights before. I wonder if something or someone tripped a smoke alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    You'd be surprised how often half of a land gets closed for unattended bags. It just doesn't get shared that often because people get rerouted, the land reopens and they continue on with their day. I don't think I've seen the lights before. I wonder if something or someone tripped a smoke alarm.
    That's what I was leaning toward. They didn't seem to worried about it.

Yeah maybe less is more information. To not scare off the visitors and tourists.

April Showers and Easter 2024!

Q. Was this related to the HAZ MAT emergency which the 11:00 PM news had mentioned?
    (A flock of geese had defecated on guests near the castle. Since bird poop can contain disease borne micro-organisms, the DL security people acted on behalf of public health.)

"It is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a Pirate King."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, "Pirates of Penzance, or, The Slave of Duty"

Quote Originally Posted by potzbie View Post
    Q. Was this related to the HAZ MAT emergency which the 11:00 PM news had mentioned?
    (A flock of geese had defecated on guests near the castle. Since bird poop can contain disease borne micro-organisms, the DL security people acted on behalf of public health.)
    Different days and areas. Which I don't even see why this was on the news and was SMH over that. I can't imagine it was the first time this has ever happened there. Especially considering certain times of the day...like when big flocks of crows in the trees fly off like they do.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

I even had a duck flap me in the head as he flew by at the circle near Walt's statue.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    I even had a duck flap me in the head as he flew by at the circle near Walt's statue.
    This was a bit ago but my daughter and I were having lunch at Rancho del Zocalo and sat at a table towards the building. All of a sudden a small bird just flew on by right over top of my head. I could feel the flap of its wings when it went over. We had a good laugh at it but were also like what the heck just happened. You see it all the time though with the different birds there and how close they get to people when flying around. Its just another thing a guest in the parks has to watch out for. LOL
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    Must have been the same duck I had to duck before getting it in the beak from his bill in the same area as you. Daredevil Duck.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    Thought they had the security bag checks, metal detectors and bomb sniffing dogs to catch anything before it got inside the park.

And yes I realize that if someone wants to get something inside it could be done via a stroller(like inside hollow metal frame)/motorized cart (battery area,underside)/artificial limb.