Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: IllumiNations - best place to watch

IllumiNations - best place to watch

I have never stayed long enough at Epcot to see IllimuniNations. This trip I am going to try to catch the show. What is the best spot to watch from? It will be just me, so no need to take up a large space for a group. I am hoping there is somewhere where a lone person can walk up right before the show and catch a good view.

2. # ADS

Even alone, the "best" places people have learned over the years will not be walk up at a few minutes to the show.

"Acceptable" places if you've never seen it is nearly anywhere from the half of the lagoon that faces Spaceship Earth. You can see some of the show from the back (like America or Japan), but IMO it's better from the front half. Figure anywhere from Canada to Mexico will likely be pretty decent.

-Dave

Seems like most of the smoke tends to drift towards Canada, so might avoid that bridge...

My favorite spot by far is right across from the entrance steps up into Canada. It looks like the overhanging trees will block the show, so it doesn't crowd up long before the show. I usually get there 5 to 10 minutes before showtime and have a perfect spot.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    My favorite spot by far is right across from the entrance steps up into Canada. It looks like the overhanging trees will block the show, so it doesn't crowd up long before the show. I usually get there 5 to 10 minutes before showtime and have a perfect spot.
    Dan - Thank you for this tip. Worked like a charm! There were a couple of others that were at the spot also, but it worked out well. Did exactly like you said. Walked up the steps about 10 minutes before the show and had a great view.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp21 View Post
    Dan - Thank you for this tip. Worked like a charm! There were a couple of others that were at the spot also, but it worked out well. Did exactly like you said. Walked up the steps about 10 minutes before the show and had a great view.
    Well, not exactly. I don't view from the steps - I view from as close to the water as I can get. This is usually 2 or 3 people back, but still with a great view. Glad you had a good time!
    - James Taylor

Well, not exactly. I don't view from the steps - I view from as close to the water as I can get. This is usually 2 or 3 people back, but still with a great view. Glad you had a good time!
    Aww, 10-4. It actually worked out well. That area was packed. There was a youth group who had staked claim on all that area. Lots of kids and they were all over the place.

It's always a good idea to get an idea of the wind direction if there's any significant breeze. You don't want to position yourself downwind of potential fireworks fallout, or you may end up with a face full of smoke and a hazy view.

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    It's always a good idea to get an idea of the wind direction if there's any significant breeze. You don't want to position yourself downwind of potential fireworks fallout, or you may end up with a face full of smoke and a hazy view.
    Or no view at all in some conditions!
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    You don't want to position yourself downwind of potential fireworks fallout, or you may end up with a face full of smoke and a hazy view.
    Have I ever mentioned the evening my head caught on fire at the tail end of an IllumiNations show?
    - James Taylor

Have I ever mentioned the evening my head caught on fire at the tail end of an IllumiNations show?
    Was that not too long after they cut you off at the R&C and asked you to leave?
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    Was that not too long after they cut you off at the R&C and asked you to leave?
    While it's true that the incident occurred after an extended period in the Rose & Crown Pub, it's important to note that I have NEVER been kicked out of the R&C - they LOVE me there!
    - James Taylor

While it's true that the incident occurred after an extended period in the Rose & Crown Pub, it's important to note that I have NEVER been kicked out of the R&C - they LOVE me there!
    Haha, we know, we've never been asked to leave either, not until after closing...

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar

I ended up on the bridge between UK and France and had a pretty good view. Didn't get crowded along the railing until about 15 minutes before the start.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

Quote Originally Posted by quackinup View Post
    I ended up on the bridge between UK and France and had a pretty good view. Didn't get crowded along the railing until about 15 minutes before the start.
    That's not a terrible spot. We've watched it from there before.

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    That's not a terrible spot. We've watched it from there before.
    And it made for a quick exit to my hotel on the Boardwalk.
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

Quote Originally Posted by quackinup View Post
    And it made for a quick exit to my hotel on the Boardwalk.
    Always nice.