Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: The next up charge experience.. Skyline Lounge

  1. #1
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4

    The next up charge experience.. Skyline Lounge

    https://disneyland.disney.go.com/din...kyline-lounge/

    I believe this will be on the 2nd floor of Innoventions, er, Star Wars Launch Bay.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Location
    Posts
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1

    Sounds like something similar to the dessert seating for Fantasmic. Not something I'm interested in, but hey, if people want to spend the money, that's cool for them.

    Within the valley of shadowless death; they pray for thunderclouds and rain
    But to the multitude who stand in the rain; heaven is where the sun shines.

    Dinner at Pez Cantina - March 4, 2017
    Sometimes, "be the better person" is code for "be a doormat".
    "Would it help?"

  4. #3
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Sounds like something similar to the dessert seating for Fantasmic. Not something I'm interested in, but hey, if people want to spend the money, that's cool for them.
    I think its a little different. This "lounge" is open for 2 hours, includes a snack tray, and you can come and go as you please. Whether the Fireworks occurs or not.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    https://disneyland.disney.go.com/din...kyline-lounge/

    I believe this will be on the 2nd floor of Innoventions, er, Star Wars Launch Bay.
    Based on the picture and where check-in is located, this seems more like it is taking place on the Peoplemover/Rocket Rods loading area. That would also explain why there is a prohibition on strollers. I'm not sure what the sight-lines are to see Fireworks from there, but it would be nice if that space was used for something more than occasional pin trading.

  6. #5
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Based on the picture and where check-in is located, this seems more like it is taking place on the Peoplemover/Rocket Rods loading area. That would also explain why there is a prohibition on strollers. I'm not sure what the sight-lines are to see Fireworks from there, but it would be nice if that space was used for something more than occasional pin trading.
    i thought that too - but I wondered about securing the location and making it "comfortable". Its directly outdoors and the number of other avenues to wander on the platform makes me wonder how much effort - and number of cast members - would be needed to make it a viable location. Its convenient that its out of the way of everything else in the land. I also wonder what the sight line is from the other side of the platform - does the Buzz building get in the way a little, and then Matterhorn? Hmmm.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca

    It says its $45 so its not a lot compared to most up charges but considering the location I don't think its the best place for watching fireworks though. Yet I am sure there will be those that pay for it because its another up charge experience and there are those out there that will pay for any of them offered and ones that will give it a shot to see if its worth it for fireworks viewing. I think I will stick to my free spot back by Small World when I want to watch fireworks.

    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Based on the picture and where check-in is located, this seems more like it is taking place on the Peoplemover/Rocket Rods loading area.
    Another site is reporting that it's on the upper deck of the Innoventions pavilion.
    Dan
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor


  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Another site is reporting that it's on the upper deck of the Innoventions pavilion.
    I think I saw that site - but they seemed to be based on logic/belief vs. "I spoke with someone at/from Disney who told me..." I could well be wrong, but if it was in the Innoventions Pavillion, I would expect the check-in to be at the bottom of the ramp to Innoventions rather than by the fruit cart. I also am not sure they would have a prohibition on strollers in writing (although they still might) versus simply encouraging people to park them at the bottom of the ramp. I have absolutely no personal knowledge so we will see who is right.

    I look forward to hearing from someone who has booked/participated in the experience to find out more

  10. #9

    The RocketRod/PeopleMover load/unload area is a bad area for viewing. You have a roof over you, the RocketJets/Observatron, and then the Buzz/Tomorrowland Terrace building is right there. Also not much room for seating. The second level of Innovintions seems like a better site.


  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by Engine74 View Post
    The RocketRod/PeopleMover load/unload area is a bad area for viewing. You have a roof over you, the RocketJets/Observatron, and then the Buzz/Tomorrowland Terrace building is right there. Also not much room for seating. The second level of Innovintions seems like a better site.
    While I agree it is not a good spot, I also don't think Innoventions is either. How is that going to work when they do fireworks shows that do the images on the castle or Small World? I haven't been up there forever so can't remember but what about the fireworks around the castle? Wouldn't the Matterhorn block some of that from there? Which wouldn't those paying for that view want the whole experience? I am sure there will be plenty of those that will pay for this no matter what but how many will go away leaving feeling they got their money's worth and happy? It will be interesting to read reviews of it once it starts though.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  12. #11
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1

    I remember that we used to periodically go up to the second level of Innoventions, outside of course, to watch the fireworks, and it was a decent view, but that was when it was just regular fireworks, no projections.

    ETA: Ahh, I got it. They're not selling it as a fireworks viewing experience. They're selling it as a Tomorrowland skyline experience. The lounge is offered on nights when the fireworks aren't even scheduled, and there's this wording on the regular description: "And if a fireworks spectacular is scheduled, you can catch a glimpse of it right from your seat." I think the "catch a glimpse" should be the clue that you can't see everything the fireworks show has to offer.

    Within the valley of shadowless death; they pray for thunderclouds and rain
    But to the multitude who stand in the rain; heaven is where the sun shines.

    Dinner at Pez Cantina - March 4, 2017
    Sometimes, "be the better person" is code for "be a doormat".
    "Would it help?"

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    ETA: Ahh, I got it. They're not selling it as a fireworks viewing experience. They're selling it as a Tomorrowland skyline experience. The lounge is offered on nights when the fireworks aren't even scheduled, and there's this wording on the regular description: "And if a fireworks spectacular is scheduled, you can catch a glimpse of it right from your seat." I think the "catch a glimpse" should be the clue that you can't see everything the fireworks show has to offer.
    Hmmm. I think I'll be waiting for initial reports on the location and the food quality. Doesn't seem like it's worthwhile to me, but maybe I'm missing something...

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I remember that we used to periodically go up to the second level of Innoventions, outside of course, to watch the fireworks, and it was a decent view, but that was when it was just regular fireworks, no projections.

    ETA: Ahh, I got it. They're not selling it as a fireworks viewing experience. They're selling it as a Tomorrowland skyline experience. The lounge is offered on nights when the fireworks aren't even scheduled, and there's this wording on the regular description: "And if a fireworks spectacular is scheduled, you can catch a glimpse of it right from your seat." I think the "catch a glimpse" should be the clue that you can't see everything the fireworks show has to offer.
    Ok....now how many people that pay for it will get the "catch a glimpse" instead of "oh look we can have a view of the fireworks". Either way though its still not worth it IMO. Its not really offering much for the cost aside from a box of treats and drinks with a "glimpse of fireworks" on those nights and other nights just the Tomorrowland skyline alone. Is that enough to bring a families or couples to pay $45 per person for it? I guess we shall see though. Like I said there will always be those that do it just because its something new and another up charge to say they did. I could think of better uses for that $45 a person charge though. LOL
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  15. #14
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Ok....now how many people that pay for it will get the "catch a glimpse" instead of "oh look we can have a view of the fireworks".
    Actually, given the way the website is set up, if they can't figure out that it's not specifically fireworks seating, then I think it's their own fault. The headline is for the "Tomorrowland Skyline Lounge Experience". it shows you, presumably, the view you'll get from the lounge, and there's nary a firework in the sky.

    The description says "And if a fireworks spectacular is scheduled, you can catch a glimpse of it right from your seat." and "Fireworks shows take place on select nights and are subject to cancellation without notice due to weather or other circumstances. Please check schedule for performance times."

    If they miss all that, and I know some will, I don't see how they can blame Disney.
    Within the valley of shadowless death; they pray for thunderclouds and rain
    But to the multitude who stand in the rain; heaven is where the sun shines.

    Dinner at Pez Cantina - March 4, 2017
    Sometimes, "be the better person" is code for "be a doormat".
    "Would it help?"

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    If they miss all that, and I know some will, I don't see how they can blame Disney.
    I agree. Sadly we all know there are some that would no matter what.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  17. #16

    AP discount? I don't see anything listed saying yes or no.

    There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    AP discount? I don't see anything listed saying yes or no.
    No. From the "Know before you go" section "
    • No Passsholder or other discounts apply.

    .

  19. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...sneyland-park/

    The blog has picture of the area. Still not worth it IMO.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  20. #19
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...sneyland-park/

    The blog has picture of the area. Still not worth it IMO.
    so its for sure Innoventions - and now you can say its merely designed to get away from the rabble and the crowd that can be Tomorrowland. Especially for snacks and recharge your phone. I will say that maybe this is a trial run since the cabanas at WDW Tomorrowland have not taken off in popularity so they are testing the waters at Disneyland to see if there is a market for secluded exclusive locations in the park. Sort of like a Walmart version of Club 33.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  21. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca

    olegc, this is what I was thinking. They were doing this instead of cabanas that was rumored. Yet either way I'm not into it. Little by little we could then see parts of the park that have always been free to go to and rest or relax a moment taken away and turned into an up charge area.

    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  22. #21
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1

    I'm amused that they're trying to tie this to the anniversary for Space Mountain.

    I saw that a few people responded on the Facebook post and have already booked. I can see some of the appeal, but I'd probably be more interested if they were actually serving a meal.

    Within the valley of shadowless death; they pray for thunderclouds and rain
    But to the multitude who stand in the rain; heaven is where the sun shines.

    Dinner at Pez Cantina - March 4, 2017
    Sometimes, "be the better person" is code for "be a doormat".
    "Would it help?"

  23. #22
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Little by little we could then see parts of the park that have always been free to go to and rest or relax a moment taken away and turned into an up charge area.
    yup. it was noted on another site that Zocalo Park and the fountain garden near Haunted Mansion have been co-opted by the rides for queue area. Pirates will take most of the area between the river and French Market once Fastpass comes back, and I have not seen it but I wonder how much the new queue and switchback areas are placed at Matterhorn. I realize that during the very busy times they need more space for queues. Taking away small pieces of getaway means you don't have anywhere to calm down and rest. And i guess that's the point - don't stop, keep consuming and moving - unless you want to pay extra.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  24. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    yup. it was noted on another site that Zocalo Park and the fountain garden near Haunted Mansion have been co-opted by the rides for queue area. Pirates will take most of the area between the river and French Market once Fastpass comes back, and I have not seen it but I wonder how much the new queue and switchback areas are placed at Matterhorn. I realize that during the very busy times they need more space for queues. Taking away small pieces of getaway means you don't have anywhere to calm down and rest. And i guess that's the point - don't stop, keep consuming and moving - unless you want to pay extra.
    Which is just sad. As you said those areas gone. Its hard to find that shady spot if you need on a hot day. For me I don't do well in heat so I need that shaded break during those times. I am not sure on the area with Matterhorn as I haven't seen it either and couldn't tell from the one picture I saw.

    I'm amused that they're trying to tie this to the anniversary for Space Mountain.

    I saw that a few people responded on the Facebook post and have already booked. I can see some of the appeal, but I'd probably be more interested if they were actually serving a meal.
    It is a bit much trying to tie it to Space's anniversary. I am not surprised people are booking it. There will always be those willing to pay for up charges no matter what it is. Then there are those that will pay for anything that is Disney. Plus there are always those that just have to be first with everything and anything. With some others that are just curious about it and want to see it for themselves. As I have said it will be interesting to see what is said by those willing to pay for that. I agree that if it was a full meal being served it might be different. I wouldn't pay for it still but it would have a little more value to it instead of what its giving at this point.

    I know I saw on another board some annoyed there would be no alcohol served and think it should be but its DL so I am not sure why they would think it would be for something like that or why its needed.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  25. #24

    Am I the only person to imagine a lounge in the old towers of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland via the Skyway?

    http://www.yesterland.com/skyway.html

    "It is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a Pirate King."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, "Pirates of Penzance, or, The Slave of Duty"

  26. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by potzbie View Post
    Am I the only person to imagine a lounge in the old towers of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland via the Skyway?

    http://www.yesterland.com/skyway.html
    I never think of anything for some lounge there myself but I wouldn't doubt there are some that have thought that too. The Fantasyland tower though was taken out with the "you stole my goats away from me land". The Tomorrowland one was gone soon after Skyway had closed.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •