Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Possible Solo Trip

Possible Solo Trip

Hi all. Well, I am feeling the need to return to my favorite place in the world and sadly, I can't seem to get anyone to join me this time. Even my die-hard Disney son (who is now 25) doesn't seem all that interested. Sooooo.... after re-reading some of my favorite solo trip reports by Tinkaparis, NikkithePooh, and Dan Young, I am inspired to plan my first ever solo trip.

But I confess I'm nervous about the idea. For those of you who have gone to WDW solo, did you ever get lonely? What are some of the best things about going solo?

Leslie

2. # ADS

The lonely thing only you can answer. Unfortunately, you will probably need to go through at least a small trip alone once to see if it causes you any significant problems. The fact that you bring it up may suggest it's going to have at least some impact on the enjoyment of your visit.

As to other benefits, here are a few:

1. Obviously you have total control of what you want to do. You can choose whatever FP+ you want to do (within park rules, of course, and assuming you arrange them in advance enough that they are available), you can also decide to cancel them (be a good sport and use the app to do so so some other lucky guest can score a last minute for whatever you cancel ) and just wing it if you feel like it for a day. You can also decide to take tours others in your group might be bored with (like if you would be interested in Keys to the Kingdom, but others in your regular travel party couldn't stand the not moving from attraction to attraction for over 3 hours). If you start off thinking you want to see a parade, but then note a really good wait time on some attraction you are wanting to go on, it's OK to wander over to SDMT rather than see Festival of Fantasy for the nth time.

2. Similarly, you can choose to try things that you might not want to risk the financial implications with a full family visit (or at least might not before you have experienced it firsthand), since the cost for trying something solo is much less than multiplying it across a large group. Examples could be trying a sit down restaurant experience you might like to try that may not go well with others in your normal travel party, trying a new high end tour where it is costly but bearable for one person, but would rack up quickly if a whole family were to do it (DAK Wild Africa Trek or Sense of Africa at AKL come to mind).

3. Possibly inter-related with some of the ideas in #1, it is sometimes easier to get a reservation for a small party of one at some of the popular restaurants. While I have yet to do BoG for dinner, I did get short term (probably 2-3 weeks out) reservations for both a lunch and breakfast on a trip probably about 1 1/2 years ago. I've also gotten into Le Cellier on somewhat short notice, got a 9 PM-ish reservation for Ca Grill (Fireworks from the top of the Contemporary!) (on the same day!) and gotten a late evening spot at Beaches and Cream (I forget if this was same day, but I think it was during my trip rather than before it started). You will not likely score popular times for most (CA Grill was likely an odd cancellation, and you probably won't get BoG for a time that gets you into the park early for Breakfast), but if you are OK with having lunch at 2 or so(an example), it can be done.

Those are just some minor examples of the freedom to explore.

Last edited by Dave1313; 04-27-2017 at 03:18 AM.
    -Dave

Thanks so much for the insight, Dave. You've given me a lot to think about. I do love the idea of all the freedom, especially since I've spent my prior WDW vacations making sure that everyone else in my party is happy and having fun. There are restaurants I've wanted to try before, and the thought of being able to go at my own pace really appeals to me. 😊

You are about to have the best time ever!
    As everyone says you have all the freedom to go/ride/eat/people watch/swim, well just do anything, anytime you want! So I'll move over to the "lonely" factor.

It's not a lonely feeling I get but more of a "Who can I talk to?" feeling. Riding the bus is when I usually feel this. So I listen to conversations or strike one up with visitors. Talking to people in line is fun. Or just commenting on someone's beautiful purse, you know that type of thing.
    I find that I can stroll the parks instead of rushing. I have time on my hands to watch the Muppet show in Liberty Square and I'm able to stick around for 20 minutes for the next show! It's wonderful!

Here's a great thing to do. Find a WDW article that highlights something you, yourself would love to check out. I've used some blogs from MP to do this. One blog was about all the different kind of lights in the park, another showed pics of benches some seemed to have been here since day 1! Places to find imagineer portraits hidden in queues, stores, etc. Make a list of what you like and try to find them. It can be alot of fun.
    And the best part is that you can go take a nap at your hotel whenever you want.

I know you will have a Magical Time!
    GnP ....My next solo trip will be 5/20/17....

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have done a few solo trips to DLR and WDW. I have had a great time in all the times I have went, with all the perks others have already pointed out. But I have gotten lonely in being unable to share a moment or something I had just seen with someone close. Would it cause me not to go solo? No, but it does happen.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Of the 6 times I have been to WDW, 4 of those have been solo. I love going solo. Like others have said, you control what you rides you want to go on, shows to see, parks to visit, what to eat, etc. There is no having to work around others preferences. You can get so much done going solo. Also, some of the rides have single rider lines and you can take advantage of that. The hardest part I have found is killing time in line with no one to talk to. I am not one to strike up conversations with strangers, so I usually pull out the phone at look at the WDW app and wait times, look at food options, etc.

The funny thing I find myself doing on solo trips is planning out food. For example, I will try to plan out when I am going to have "this snack" so that in a an hour or two I can go get "that snack" and then at this time I can go have dinner at this place and so on.

The only thing I really have not done is go eat at a table service restaurant. That is probably when the loneliness would set in for me.

Solo trips are very enjoyable and seem to be more relaxing than trying to navigate a larger group around the parks and keep everyone happy.

Visiting WDW Since 1982

after my wife of 48 years passed away I found myself in the same predicament. I really wanted to go back to WDW, but no relatives were interested in joining me. What the heck - they all had their own lives to live and now so did I! But I realized that if I wasn't willing to go it alone I may never see my favorite place again. So the choice was much easier.

I still did own a timeshare in the RCI system, and a trade into WDW was very doable. The only problem was that I could only find 1 BR units - a bit much for a single person - but that's what I did.

To my own surprise, I had a great time! To be sure I did miss my wife. But then I remembered that when we two would go there were many times when we would go off and "do our own thing", since we each had our ride preferences and tolerances. So in some ways this wasn't much different. One thing that WAS different was my use of Extra Magic Hours. Since I can be a night owl, this was the first time in my life that I would stay with EMH right till closing time. What I found was that in the last hour of nighttime EMH the park was nearly empty and I could ride multiple times in succession! This turned out to be a great experience for me.

Another big plus for me was that it gave me a new outlook on life. I realized that I did not HAVE to be married - or even "with someone" - to get on with my life and enjoy myself. So it was a big confidence booster. An outgrowth of this was that I ended up buying points in WDW (on the resale market) for future use.

So my advice: go for it! It may well change your life. it did for me!

Stan

Wow, thank you, THANK YOU everyone, for taking the time to address my concerns and provide your own perspectives on this. You know what? I'm going to do it! Looking to get out there sometime in mid to late Fall and indulge my Disney-neediness for six nights. Mouseplanet members are the best! Thank you all again so much.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you will have a great time!

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

I just got back from 5 days / 4 nights at WDW, SOLO, and totally enjoyed myself. The biggest advantage for me is that I don't have to consult with anyone to change the plan. I decided on a moment's notice to bail on one evening and just go back to my room to chill. If I were travelling with someone I'd probably not do that, as I would now be affecting another's enjoyment. There are always other folks to talk with, such as wait staff at restaurants and bars, people standing in line, etc. So you can be as active as you are comfortable with in conversing with others, or you can just keep to yourself - no one will care, no one will stare at you, no one will make you feel at all out of place by being there alone.

Enjoy!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    There are always other folks to talk with, such as wait staff at restaurants and bars, people standing in line, etc. So you can be as active as you are comfortable with in conversing with others, or you can just keep to yourself - no one will care, no one will stare at you, no one will make you feel at all out of place by being there alone.
    And if you keep your eyes out on the board you might fine someone else visiting at the same time that you can meet up with for a chat or a meal.
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

I've done two solo WDW trips, and I'm right in the middle of the introvert/extrovert divide, so I don't have any problems being alone. Some recommendations:
    - Look for restaurants with "family seating" styles. The two I've done are in Epcot- Biergarten and Teppan Edo. That way there are some other people you can chat with naturally, and you don't have to worry about being alone.
    -I've had some great conversations while waiting for a show/fireworks. If I'm desperate for some conversation it's usually pretty easy at that time.
    - The tours are AWESOME. I did Keys to the Kingdom this last time, and I absolutely loved it. When I was booking the tour the person on the phone was relieved that I was a party of one- way easier to find a spot in a tour group!
    -Take time to appreciate the quiet moments. I love stopping for shows, or a random snack when I'm alone.
    -Take advantage of not having to talk someone into something: Some members of my family find it hard to be places on time, but I've always wanted to do Park Openings. It's way easier to manage with only one person! Or just decide to sleep in- you aren't hurting anyone else.
    -If they aren't busy, chat with Cast Members. They can appreciate having conversations with people who aren't demanding something. I've met some great ones that way!

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nikara View Post
    -Take time to appreciate the quiet moments. I love stopping for shows, or a random snack when I'm alone.
    -Take advantage of not having to talk someone into something: Some members of my family find it hard to be places on time, but I've always wanted to do Park Openings. It's way easier to manage with only one person! Or just decide to sleep in- you aren't hurting anyone else.
    Love these during solo trips!

Some great advice. One thing I haven't seen yet is the ability to take as much time as you want to investigating little details in decor or trying to get exactly the perfect picture you want either with or without people in it, without worrying others are bored or you are holding them back.

Not much I can add except go for it! I ended up going solo to the parks on a business trip and had a blast. It's surprising how much fun it can be - and a little bit of "me time" therapy. As a mom/wife/producer I'm always concerned about what everyone is doing so this turned into an amazingly relaxing visit. Doing everything I wanted, strolling through the stores as long as I wanted, not having to share my food... I couldn't believe how great it was. I don't remember the names of the people I chatted with, but I had nice conversations with people around me. The most common thing I heard was from other moms saying how lucky I was to get some time by myself!

So go for it! Do all the things you wanted to do, make everyone jealous with your social media updates, and don't forget how awesome it is to zip through those single rider lines!

Quote Originally Posted by quackinup View Post
    And if you keep your eyes out on the board you might fine someone else visiting at the same time that you can meet up with for a chat or a meal.
    Why oh why would I ever want to meet any of you rejects?

J/K
    - James Taylor

Why oh why would I ever want to meet any of you rejects?

J/K
    So ye kin buy us martinis!

I thought YOU were buying . . .

- James Taylor

I thought YOU were buying . . .
    Not all the rounds, not with this crew!

I haven't done much soloing besides when other group members get tired and head back early, but I generally don't mind it by myself in the park. Solo rider lines when available are pretty nice, as well as anytime in the queue when you can claim that one oddball spot they're trying to fill on a ride. And like the others have said, it gives you time to look around and appreciate the finer things, you aren't harried or always on the move like you might be with a group.