Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Going Back in October with the entire Family

Going Back in October with the entire Family

It has been a long time since I have posted but not a long time since I read posts.

Janet and I have taken two short trips, both trips were two night stays at Riverside. The first was for my 65th birthday and the second was because I whined enough just before my 67th, last September. While I have written up just about every trip since 1998, I did not bring my laptop with me on either and consequently did not write them up. This trip will be different.

My son Matt and daughter in law Heather blessed us with our first grandchild, our granddaughter Brynn Marie a little over two years ago. About a month ago we had another addition as youngest son Mark married his long time sweetheart, Meghan. Also, our middle son Dan now has a girlfriend Fio, who lives in Dallas. The entire family has not been to Disney World since November of 2013 so we felt that this would be a natural time to take the plunge. There will be 12 of us heading to Riverside on October 12th for a week and I am so looking forward to it for so many reasons.

Steve Russo and I have breakfast about once a month and work together during the baseball season. Steve has always kept me posted on all the things that are new and I devour his trip reports like they are the missing texts from the New Testament. One day my hope is that we go to WDW together. That would be great.

So, this rambling message is to warn you that I will be posting frequently as we move through the Spring, Summer and into October. I have missed writing and promise to do a better job than I have recently.

Best/Jim

Jim Pertierra

2. # ADS

If you don't mind me asking, why do you always stay at the Riverside?

Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you always stay at the Riverside?
    When we first started going to WDW we loved to stay at the Disney Inn and the Polynesian. As the family size increased (and the Disney Inn became off limits) we could not afford to stay at the Polynesian any longer. Since 1999 we have stayed at Riverside 7 times and the Caribbean once. Frankly much of what we loved about the Polynesian we found in Riverside and now it is our go to. We find the atmosphere to be very laid back, the people friendly and the location pretty centrally located to get to any of the parks. We have mostly had a car when staying there but have used the Disney transportation pretty frequently as well.

Hey, if we could afford it, we would stay at the Polynesian (although I would love to try the Beach Club or Boardwalk once) if only to walk around the grounds at night with the music in the background as well as the torches being lit but, as Janet says, we can stay twice as long if we stay at Riverside.

Not sure if I answered your question Chuck, but we fell in love with Riverside from the first moment we stayed there and, after staying in Magnolia Bend we would stay nowhere else.

Thanks for asking!!

Best/Jim
    Jim Pertierra

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pertierra View Post
    Hey, if we could afford it, we would stay at the Polynesian (although I would love to try the Beach Club or Boardwalk once) if only to walk around the grounds at night with the music in the background as well as the torches being lit but, as Janet says, we can stay twice as long if we stay at Riverside.

Best/Jim
    While we love Riverside (Dixie Landings Honeymooners...) and have stayed there ourselves several times, we branched out to the Beach Club & Boardwalk, Wilderness, Saratoga, Key West and discovered we could stay there for the same cost as Riverside by renting points. It's a good option if you don't want to spend the $$ on the DVC/Deluxe resorts rack rates. Riverside is also the first resort we stayed at on the kids first trip, and we like to stay there every couple of trips. It never disappointed.

Disclaimer/Fine Print: yes I know that there are factors such as discounts/free dining/ whatever that change the bottom line and do you research blah blah blah

Yes, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pertierra View Post
    When we first started going to WDW we loved to stay at the Disney Inn and the Polynesian. As the family size increased (and the Disney Inn became off limits) we could not afford to stay at the Polynesian any longer. Since 1999 we have stayed at Riverside 7 times and the Caribbean once. Frankly much of what we loved about the Polynesian we found in Riverside and now it is our go to. We find the atmosphere to be very laid back, the people friendly and the location pretty centrally located to get to any of the parks. We have mostly had a car when staying there but have used the Disney transportation pretty frequently as well.

Not sure if I answered your question Chuck, but we fell in love with Riverside from the first moment we stayed there and, after staying in Magnolia Bend we would stay nowhere else.

Thanks for asking!!

Best/Jim
    Hello Jim, Yes, you did very well thank you. We have stayed at the Riverside once and enjoyed it quite a bit for all the reasons you listed. We haven't tried the Caribbean yet but it is on our bucket list. And we highly recommend the Beach Club and not just because it is so awesome to be able to walk in the back door of Epcot. That whole area is fantastic and we can't wait to book another trip there. We are on a moderate budget right now so it might be a few years before we make it back. Next trip will probably be the Riverside or Coronado Springs. We love that place too. Thanks again for taking the time to let me know why you love the Riverside. Take care, Chuck

I'm looking forward to your trip report, Jim! I've really enjoyed reading your previous ones. Have fun planning this one, especially now that you'll have a grandkid and new family members to share your happy place with!

Jan

"A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference." --Eeyore

Quote Originally Posted by wdwjan View Post
    I'm looking forward to your trip report, Jim! I've really enjoyed reading your previous ones. Have fun planning this one, especially now that you'll have a grandkid and new family members to share your happy place with!

Jan
    Thanks Jan. Steve and I were having breakfast last week and I told him that I disappointed myself by NOT writing trip reports from Janet's and my 2 night trips in September of 2014 and 2016. It amazed us how much we saw even in that short time and never felt rushed. But, I intentionally did not bring a computer with me as I just wanted to relax and have been kicking myself since. Maybe someday I can recreate it. I was just watching some DVDs from our 2005 trip and was shocked at how quickly time has rushed by and how everyone has grown. Just to see the EPCOT sign on top of Spaceship Earth was a jolt.

I do promise to write this one up and hope I don't disappoint you.

BTW, we made all our Priority seatings for the trip on Saturday. Sure sign that it is inching up.

Keep in touch.
    Best/Jim
    Jim Pertierra

Happy to see you around Jim and look forward to the report in October!

Quote Originally Posted by spectromen View Post
    Happy to see you around Jim and look forward to the report in October!
    Happy to be back too!
    Sometimes life just intrudes on Disney time and it is always good to catch up.

Would still love to go to WDW with the Commerfords and the Russo's, just one!!
    Best/Jim
    Jim Pertierra