Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magic Kingdom security changes, welcome and ...

Magic Kingdom security changes, welcome and ...

It has finally happened, and they realized they have to move the security checkpoint away from the front of the MK. It has been ridiculous getting in there for the last year, and the oppressive crowding was actually a security liability. But now it will be at the TTC where they should have placed it originally.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/...wdwinfo.com%29

Now, this will make getting on the mono quickly a thing of the past, such as hopping over to resorts and such, but hopefully going from the MK directly to Epcot or anywhere else on the mono loop will not have a check since you were already checked before getting into the park.

Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

2. # ADS

Interesting.

While it's noted as a missing detail in some of the comments at that link, I'm personally very curious about how they deal with the boat launches from the local resorts. I'm particularly curious since I just booked Wilderness Lodge for a visit in May! (I'm sure the details will be well sorted out by then, I'd be a bit more curious/nervous if I was starting a trip next week!)

It would seem that the area the boats drop off at the MK is close enough to the Ferry and Monorail drop off points to need to also be pre-screened before departure. A single table at each boat launch at the resorts is hopefully the way they go with this. The approaches to the docks form the resorts (at least the one's I've been to) seem to all be separated enough from the rest of the resort for it to be easy to set up a security table.

While it's never happened to me at MK, I will say one positive about the checkpoint being at the TTC is that if you accidentally forget a prohibited item is in your pocket (selfie stick, etc), you can reasonably consider walking/tramming back to your car to stow it rather than needing to take an additional round trip via boat/monorail to do so (I know you can check things, but that might not be desirable for some people).

I had a scenario like that happen to me at DHS once when I tried to re-enter after hopping over to Epcot during F&W and collecting a pass holder commemorative glass. Even though it came from another park, I wasn't allowed to enter DHS with the glass, so I elected to go put it in my car since I didn't think checking a glass item was worth the risk of potential breakage.

Thanks for posting the link!

-Dave

While I don't really have any opinion on where they put their security, it's kinda mind blowing that a site like WDWINFO doesn't know that it's the Transportation and Ticket center, NOT the Ticket and Transportation Center.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Well I do have my ever-so-humble opinions on it as a professional engineer. When we design roads, intersections, even parking lots, we have to consider logistics of moving the traffic through as quickly and safely as possible. Same with buildings and safe emergency egress. I think it was a foolish knee-jerk reaction to a perceived remote threat that caused them to fail so hard on processing the meat through the checkpoints at the MK. This is a good step in the right direction. As fanatical serial Guests at WDW, we adapt and roll with the changes! But I really do like this change thus far.

Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    While I don't really have any opinion on where they put their security, it's kinda mind blowing that a site like WDWINFO doesn't know that it's the Transportation and Ticket center, NOT the Ticket and Transportation Center.
    I know....that messed me up when I was travelling on the monorail from the Magic Kingdom to Epcot to eat at the Crown & Rose. lol
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

Quote Originally Posted by quackinup View Post
    I know....that messed me up when I was travelling on the monorail from the Magic Kingdom to Epcot to eat at the Crown & Rose. lol
    So did you have to take mono to TTC, go through security, ride to Epcot and go through bag check again? That would would very dumb!

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    So did you have to take mono to TTC, go through security, ride to Epcot and go through bag check again? That would would very dumb!
    Lol, you missed what I did there. Haven't actually been through the new security.
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

Quote Originally Posted by quackinup View Post
    Lol, you missed what I did there. Haven't actually been through the new security.
    Oh I saw it, figured I'd leave it for the Dan to make comment! He has to maintain his title, after all...

I see nothing here for me to be cranky about . . .

- James Taylor

I see nothing here for me to be cranky about . . .
    Hehe, I thought for sure you'd have input on the Crown and Rose comment...

Hehe, I thought for sure you'd have input on the Crown and Rose comment...
    Dan is slipping. Either that or he is already at the "Crown and Rose," has hoisted a few pints and just doesn't care!
    Tony S.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

url=http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/][/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethemouse View Post
    Dan is slipping. Either that or he is already at the "Crown and Rose," has hoisted a few pints and just doesn't care!
    They serve martinis in pints now?

The new perimeter makes the front of MK look clearer, but the checkpoints at the monorail resorts are kind of a mess right now.

Interesting to see. We'll be there Thursday night but probably just go to TTC to get parents tickets. Friday morning though...

We went into MK yesterday (Monday) from a resort bus and they did not have any no bag lines. It was a pain as we had no bags and they made us stand in the lines anyway. Hopefully they will solve that soon.

Also fun fact I learned on this trip if you plan on wearing one of the buttons (1st trip, birthday, celebrating etc) you must take it off before you go thru the metal detector.

I hope they fix that by Friday!

Yup, already had that experience with the metal detectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethemouse View Post
    Guys, there was nothing to comment on. The "Crown and Rose" was in response to WDWINFO printing "the Ticket and Transportation Center". It wasn't a mistake - it was on purpose, a funny continuation of the original mis-wording.
    - James Taylor

They serve martinis in pints now?
    I'll drink 'em as they serve 'em!
    - James Taylor

We all have our duty to attend to...

More than one or 2 served like that could certainly make your end of day post R&C stroll around the lagoon quite a bit more challenging!
    -Dave

I've actually gotten a martini to go that was a mostly full 12 ounce plastic glass! I was already motionally challenged, so I threw most of it out. Nice thought on the bartender's part, though!

- James Taylor

I've actually gotten a martini to go that was a mostly full 12 ounce plastic glass! I was already motionally challenged, so I threw most of it out. Nice thought on the bartender's part, though!
    That's alcohol abuse!

I felt bad for dumping it, but that was better than drinking it and adding to my stumbletude!

- James Taylor

Well, I'm happy to report that getting into the MK is so much nicer now. At least from the resort buses. No issues, very little wait.

Not so happy to report the metal detector guy at Epcot shoving the bin too far and bouncing my $900 camera off​ the concrete and cracking the case. It appears to still function, but I'll have to call the claims line this week and see what they are going to do to fix it because now I can't rely on it any more.

Bummer on the camera, dude - back to cell phone pics?

- James Taylor