Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Will this hotel idea work? USH/DL

Will this hotel idea work? USH/DL

We decided last minute to take a quick trip to LA for spring break. Arriving at LAX on 4/10, leaving on 4/13. We're not renting a car. Rather than staying somewhere in between the parks, we want to stay near USH on the 10th, visit USH on the 11th (leaving our bags at the front desk until the evening of the 11th), at park closing (9:00 pm) return to hotel, pick up bags, and take a Lyft to a hotel near DL. Stay there the night of the 11th, visit DL on the 12th, stay the night of the 12th and Lyft/shuttle to LAX early on the 13th.

Any recommendations for hotels near either park? We're looking to not spend $$$; that said, we don't want to stay in a hovel either. The last couple times we visited DL we stayed at Candy Cane Inn, which we liked very much. Looking for options though. Oh, we're 2 adults, 2 teens.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Trips to Disneyland with kids: April 2006, May 2010
    First trip to WDW: April 2014

2. # ADS

I would spring for the one right at Universal if I was doing it. I believe they give some perks. Otherwise there isn't much close that wouldn't qualify as seedy.

Stay at the Hilton at Universal. Otherwise you can look on their website and there are lots of preferred hotels, but without a car, some might be more challenging.
    If you liked CCI last time, then why not stay there again? It's pretty convenient to the parks.

I will mention the obvious.

The Metro Red Line (light rail) terminal is at the foot of the hill which rises to Universal Studios Hollywood.
    The two hotels which are located on that rise are: (a.) The Universal Hilton; (b.) The Sheraton Universal.

I have stayed at the Hilton hotel, using my credit card points to give me a free night. I was quite pleased. The Hilton hotel is walking distance to USH.

Thanks to the Metro Red Line and the walking-distance convenience of the Universal station, you could choose a hotel which is many stops away from the Universal City station. -- I know the Sheraton Grand (downtown Los Angeles) is catty corner to the Metro station at 7th & Flower, which is a Metro Red line station (and servicing BLUE and EXPO lines, too).

"It is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a Pirate King."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, "Pirates of Penzance, or, The Slave of Duty"

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

Instead of taking Lyft from Universal to DL area, would Amtrak be cheaper and then take Lyft for the shorter distances between the station and your hotel?

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Pammer View Post
    Instead of taking Lyft from Universal to DL area, would Amtrak be cheaper and then take Lyft for the shorter distances between the station and your hotel?
    Amtrak isn't convenient from LA to Anaheim in my experience, but I would consider looking into other options such as a bus or renting a car. A lyft from Universal to Anaheim will probably cost at least $200 I think. It's far and if there's traffic for any reason it could be a 90 minute to two hour drive.

Someone just did a trip report from Anaheim to the station by Universal. Might have used the Metro rather than Amtrak though.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. We decided to stay at Sheraton Universal and Candy Cane Inn. We'll just have to deal with however much a Lyft ends up being.

Trips to Disneyland with kids: April 2006, May 2010
    First trip to WDW: April 2014