Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DCA Food and Wine 2017 - Info, impressions, and food reviews

I was just going to ask you about the pierogies! Glad you enjoyed them. We may be trying them this weekend. You've also answered my question about the vegetarian sausage. Enjoying your food reports!

2. # ADS

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    The vegetarian sausage was not so good for me. The texture just seemed off.
    What exactly are vegetarian sausages? Is it made out of tofu? I will never understand the concept of making non-meat things into meat-like substances.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    What exactly are vegetarian sausages? Is it made out of tofu? I will never understand the concept of making non-meat things into meat-like substances.
    I never asked how it was made and its not described on the menu. I would bet someone at the Grill could tell you. My visit was rushed (as usual) because I was playing hooky from work and trying to get back to finish some things. I do agree with your point about meat/non-meat but I think that's been part of the vegetarian menu ideas for a while. Just so you don't miss it I guess. That's OK - I won't have that again now that I have had it once.

tea4two - I had better know my pierogies (or as we Ukrainians say - varenyky). Its a staple my grandmother (and mom) have made for years.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

My husband and I finally made out way here today. We stopped at the Onion Lair first. From there we had:

French onion mac and cheese -- delicious. I loved the sweet carmalized onions and the crispy breadcrumbs.

Passion fruit lemonade -- it was good, but I couldn't taste much of the passion fruit flavor.

Chocolate-hazelnut raspberry filled tart -- we both really liked this. We split it in half.

And, he had the wagyu beef, but I didn't taste it (I'm a vegetarian). He said it was really good, though.

We also tried the white cheddar lager soup. Super yummy.

When we were picking up the annual pass buttons, a cast member asked us if we wanted to complimentary admission to the demonstration with Wing Lam from Wahoo's Fish Taco. We said yes. At the demonstration, he showed the group how to make fish tacos and everyone got a fish taco and a sampling of Chardonnay wine. My husband and I enjoyed it, and it was a nice surprise/treat for the day.

I also had the peach sangria from Wineology. It was pretty refreshing during the warm afternoon.

There's still so many things left that I want to try! We will be hearing back next week.

I've really gotten suckered in by collecting the small AP buttons using the Sip & Savor Pass. At least I am enjoying sampling the foods along the way, as well as comforted by the cost savings. Just missing two buttons now, from the Lemon Grove and Off the Cob booths. (I assume no buttons available from the booths serving strictly alcohol.) I'd've gotten another button by now from Off the Cob, it was the first booth I tried something from. But I hadn't bought a S&S Pass at the time I tried their nachos and corn nuggets.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSClCn9hZHB/

"The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    I've really gotten suckered in by collecting the small AP buttons using the Sip & Savor Pass. At least I am enjoying sampling the foods along the way, as well as comforted by the cost savings. Just missing two buttons now, from the Lemon Grove and Off the Cob booths. (I assume no buttons available from the booths serving strictly alcohol.) I'd've gotten another button by now from Off the Cob, it was the first booth I tried something from. But I hadn't bought a S&S Pass at the time I tried their nachos and corn nuggets.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSClCn9hZHB/
    That's me too! I have 5 buttons. I bought the shirt rib tacos before I bought the lanyard. Now I'll have to go back and try the chicken slider. Darn!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    The pierogies at Paradise Grill were very good. Just a little more pan frying would have made them perfect. The vegetarian sausage was not so good for me. The texture just seemed off. Oh well - new adventures.

I forgot to mention the German pretzel. They have offered it before during Oktoberfest at the beer stand near Silly Symphonies. I liked it. Warm, salty, and a more firm crust than the park pretzels - yet the inside was much more soft. The darker color usually comes from more use of lie (or facsimile - look it up). The hearty beer mustard they serve with it is great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    I CAN'T WAIT. I'm going on March 31, but may have to try to squeeze in another trip before that. We'll see. If anyone goes to the bottle shop (I think Stage 17?) and can report back as to whether they're selling the Fairy Tale champagne, I would greatly appreciate it :-)
    Fairy Tale Champagne is NOT for sale at the bottle shop in Stage 17. The CM said to try the wine tasting bar at the Trattoria. They may have bottles there. I was on my way out and did not go back.

See u on the 31st.

Blog Entries

Tried a couple of additional items today.
    Fried Artichokes Carbonara with Garlic Aioli and Smoke Bacon - this was very good but spicy. The light batter and the bacon masked the flavor of the artichokes - but this dish might be good to try if you normally don't like them. I like both ways.

Seafood Sustained - Verlasso Salmon with Avocado Wasabi Puree and Furikake Dust. The three pieces of salmon were a half inch thick each and about 2 inches long. Quite generous. The wasabi flavor was really not there and the pickled green pepper slivers (it's what I thought they were) had quite a teriyaki tang to them. Could that be the Furikake Dust flavor?

White Cheddar Lager Soup - I have really tried to enjoy this for 2 years now and I guess it's not for my palate. I'm expecting more cheddar but the lager taste on the front end seems to make me think bitter. I know others live it - so just shows you folks have different palates.

The darker color usually comes from more use of lie (or facsimile - look it up). The hearty beer mustard they serve with it is great.

That would be lye. It is also what makes corn into hominy. I use baking soda when making pretzels at home. And sourdough bread, it helps make that crust on the outside as well as the color.

Blog Entries

Thanks. Dang auto-complete

Fairy Tale Champagne is NOT for sale at the bottle shop in Stage 17. The CM said to try the wine tasting bar at the Trattoria. They may have bottles there. I was on my way out and did not go back.

See u on the 31st.

Thanks for checking! Sad, but I'll just have to resign myself to glasses at Carthay or the outdoor wine bar outside Trattoria, haha. I'll check with them about bottles, but last year they thought I was crazy when another CM sent us there with that question.

You'll be there on the 31st too? Hope I run into you! It's been way too long :-)

Seafood Sustained - Verlasso Salmon with Avocado Wasabi Puree and Furikake Dust. The three pieces of salmon were a half inch thick each and about 2 inches long. Quite generous. The wasabi flavor was really not there and the pickled green pepper slivers (it's what I thought they were) had quite a teriyaki tang to them. Could that be the Furikake Dust flavor?
    I was told it's a seaweed salad sort of thing, which I normally hate, but I really enjoyed with this dish. Did you only get 3 pieces of fish? I've gone back for this item 3 times (it's just so good!) and I always get 4 pieces!
    I also really really love the mango agua fresca and the pudding at this booth. I need to tell myself to keep trying other things but I just love the dishes at this booth so much I keep going back...

Quote Originally Posted by A Shellie Day View Post
    My husband and I finally made out way here today.
    Are you sure this is what you meant to say?
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Are you sure this is what you meant to say?
    It was supposed to be "our" -- you know, a typo since the r and t keys are next to each other.

I knew what you meant, but it was a funny typo!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries

More food thoughts
    Today I tried
    Nuts about Cheese - Ham and Cheese Croque Monsieur Roll with Smoked pistachios. The flavor was salty ND savory but nothing blew me away in this one. It was a good portion.
    Olive Us - Chilled Ciopinno Soup with Shrimp and Crab. This was not my favorite. It was fresh but it seemed to be cocktail sauce that was extended. And only a very small olive loaf "cracker". I should have gone with the focaccia.
    Off the Cob - Roasted Sweet Corn Tart. It was very good but not too much corn flavor for me. Almost like a creme brulee.

What I didn't have? The bacon Mac and cheese. Sold out AGAIN. 4th time I visited and could not try any.

I also attended the Stone Brewing food pairing demo. Chef Stanko from the Escondido restaurant made us Shrimp and Grits and recommended the new Tangerine IPA with it. Very good.

I also got to do a new survey with Disney called Squeeker. You enter a code into a website in your phone and you can send 'squeeks" interactively to the site as you are experiencing it. Post comments, location, and pics as you travel along the route. It was kind of neat.

The best part of my day? Seeing Shortpix77 today in DCA.

...The best part of my day? Seeing Shortpix77 today in DCA.

We were in DCA for a little while today. Sorry we missed you guys! Enjoying your food reports and glad that you had a good time today. Squeeker sounds interesting.

I also attended the Stone Brewing food pairing demo. Chef Stanko from the Escondido restaurant made us Shrimp and Grits and recommended the new Tangerine IPA with it. Very good.
    I tried the Tangerine IPA several weeks ago and was dissapointed. To me, it was alot of hops and could not taste the citrus flavor. Yes, I know it is an IPA and supposed to taste the hops, but for me it was just too much.
    I don't know and I don't care if It's a Small World. It's a nice day when you wake up in Disneyland.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WITron View Post
    I tried the Tangerine IPA several weeks ago and was dissapointed. To me, it was alot of hops and could not taste the citrus flavor. Yes, I know it is an IPA and supposed to taste the hops, but for me it was just too much.
    I agree with you. I went to the Stone tasting and tried it. It was just OK. I could not drink it by itself but maybe with food. I'm not a hops guy. Roasted malts and barley are my thing.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

Went with several friends yesterday and tried the following:

Nuts About Cheese: Had a bite of the Baked Ham & Cheese Croque Monsieur Roll: underwhelming.

I Love Artichokes: The Fried Artichoke Carbonara and the Grilled & Chilled Artichoke Hearts--both were good, but on the spicy side.

Garlic Kissed: Grilled Beef Tenderloin Slider: meat was tender enough but didn't have as much seasoning as I would have liked--especially being at a garlic booth.

Lemon Grove: The Lemon Mule drink was the best drink I had all day. Very good!

The Onion Lair: The French Onion Mac n Cheese was probably the best food thing I had all day.

Off the Cob: Sweet Corn Nuggets with Beef Chili: this was also very good (warning the chili is a bit spicy too). We also had the Sweet Corn Custard Tart--like someone else said, like a creme brulee in a cookie tart--didn't have any corn flavor that I could tell. Was good but not "get again" good.

Not sure which booth it was at, but we also tried the Blood Orange Cider---I am not much of a beer/ale/cider person but this was really good. (The non-alcoholic iced tea from the same booth is something to take a pass on--VERY SWEET--like sugar syrup hurt your teeth sweet.)

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

We also attended the Emily Ellen (I think that was her name) Sweet Sundays event. It was ok--the ones I've gone to in the past were better. Instead of a breakfast buffet (like we had in the past) it was a plated breakfast: scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns with a basket of danish/croissants on each table. Each adult gets up to two glasses of champagne, plus cranberry or orange juice and coffee.

The chef was personable enough--we just didn't like the flavor profile of what she made. It was a fennel upside down cake with a chocolate pudding and a fennel and annatto seed brittle. Most of us at my table left 1/2 or more of our cake sample because it was just not good. Unfortunately, we didn't have advance notice of what she would be making (although we might have gone anyway because we were going to be there yesterday). I'm not sure we would have booked this had we known what she was making. I also think I preferred the venue they used to use (the Sonoma Wine Terrace). Instead it was in the old Millionaire's building which I'm sure gives them more room but it didn't seem like you could follow what she was doing when she was cooking any better than the old location (but I'm sure it holds more people than Sonoma Wine Terrace too).

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

Holds more people, climate controlled, crowd controlled.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    I also think I preferred the venue they used to use (the Sonoma Wine Terrace). Instead it was in the old Millionaire's building which I'm sure gives them more room but it didn't seem like you could follow what she was doing when she was cooking any better than the old location (but I'm sure it holds more people than Sonoma Wine Terrace too).
    Not sure where the celebrity chef events are being held this year, but they were held in the old Millionaire building last year, and I really liked it (I went to the Robert Irvine event and the Guy Fieri event.). In prior years, I've been to chef demonstrations when they were outside, in the area of the old fun wheel, and it was often difficult to see and hear what the chef was doing. There was lots of ambient noise from the surroundings and there was only one camera over the cooking area. At least at the celebrity events last year, within the confined space, and the chef on mic, and the large overhead screens and roaming cameraman, it was much easier to follow along, especially since the chef could direct the cameraman what to show and they could even do closeups.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Not sure where the celebrity chef events are being held this year, but they were held in the old Millionaire building last year, and I really liked it (I went to the Robert Irvine event and the Guy Fieri event.).
    The ones I had gone to in years past was in the (I think it's called) Sonoma Terrace--the area to the left of Wine Country Trattoria. this one was in the Millionaire's building. There was more room, but (and it might have been the issue with our particular chef) I felt that there was not good coordination between the chef and the cameraman. He was always a beat or two behind, and I didn't feel like we were really seeing her "cook"--she spent most of the 90 minutes out in the audience. A different chef--who is more camera savvy--might have been better. At Sonoma Terrace they had a mirror above the cooking surfaces that you could watch what they were doing. The plus of the Millionaire's location was that they had a meet and greet location (which we didn't take advantage of) and also a festival shop so we were able to get our AP Sip and Savor passes without a large line.