Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disneyland Resort Update for March 6-12, 2017

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Disneyland Resort Update for March 6-12, 2017

Disneyland Resort Update for March 6-12, 2017 by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix

New parade and fireworks viewing policy takes effect at Disneyland Resort | Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival begins Friday | Advance registration opens Tuesday for Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend | Construction Land

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just a quick note that early registration for Star Wars opens this THURSDAY March 9th @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific. runDisney made the change a few races ago from Tuesday to Thursday.

2017 SW Reg.jpg

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Just a suggestion: you might be well served to NOT put in the Touring Plans crowd calendar forecast. Last week, they had Wed-Friday as a 2,3, and 4 respectively. Nothing could've been further from the truth. I've been to DL when it was a 2 - in fact, it was two years ago the same week. This year, Wed and Thurs were more like 5 or 6, and Friday had to be close to 8 or 9. I've never ever seen the crowds I saw, even on a summer day, as I did on Friday. It was madness.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

I don't know how they can reasonably expect to have a seat-saving policy given the crowd-to-CM ratio on the average day. You can ask them to vacate the area, but once you head down the route, new families come in. You could conceivably be spending hours trying to get people to move before ropes are up. It's like herding cats. Perhaps either the ropes go up earlier, or they refine the policy to require blankets be folded by a certain point before step-off. Either way, this doesn't seem like the kind of policy that can be reasonably enforced given the crowds.

DISNEYLAND CAST MEMBER - 1996-2005
    The best memories of my life...

I could not agree with you more DisneyGator- The annual pass holder event was not discussed on the updates and we would have absolutely moved our dates of travel had we known. Your description of the crowds is accurate and we actually bailed our final night (Friday) at 7 (and skipped fireworks) with the crowds. We've been going for years at this time of year and this was by far the busiest we have seen it.

Rjrugby, that is actually the norm any more. There isn't really an off season at all any more. There are busy, busier and crazy crowds. The problem with the crowd predictors is the years used for the averages include the old data as well. The crowds have steadily increased since Carsland opened and the 60th just increased them more.
    The AP days probably had less of an impact than the Electric Parade being back on limited run did.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    Just a suggestion: you might be well served to NOT put in the Touring Plans crowd calendar forecast. Last week, they had Wed-Friday as a 2,3, and 4 respectively. Nothing could've been further from the truth. I've been to DL when it was a 2 - in fact, it was two years ago the same week. This year, Wed and Thurs were more like 5 or 6, and Friday had to be close to 8 or 9. I've never ever seen the crowds I saw, even on a summer day, as I did on Friday. It was madness.
    I've passed your feedback along to TouringPlans. We don't have any input into their predictions, or how they are determined.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjrugby11 View Post
    The annual pass holder event was not discussed on the updates and we would have absolutely moved our dates of travel had we known.
    The AP Days event was only announced three weeks before it began, and was absolutely discussed in the Updates once we knew about it:

Disneyland Resort Annual Passholder Days return February 10

Annual Passholder promotion draws large crowds to Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Rjrugby, that is actually the norm any more. There isn't really an off season at all any more. There are busy, busier and crazy crowds. The problem with the crowd predictors is the years used for the averages include the old data as well. The crowds have steadily increased since Carsland opened and the 60th just increased them more.
    The AP days probably had less of an impact than the Electric Parade being back on limited run did.
    AP Days definitely caused a spike in Friday attendance in my opinion, as did the opening of the Red Rose Taverne. But yes, it's been widely noted that attendance and crowding is just through the roof right now, and that the "off season" just doesn't exist. Something I had not known until a reader alerted me was that some school districts are now observing a President's Week break, which may have also contributed to crowding.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Yes, that week has been spiking for a few years. Our school did the week twice but hasn't for a couple of years. I hadn't correlated in my brain that was the week they were discussing. I believe schools up and down the state are using that week though.