Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Star Wars Light Side Half Marathon Weekend

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2018 Star Wars Light Side Half Marathon Weekend

Choose your Destiny! There's a run for Jedi Knights and Padawans of every age and skill level including the Star Wars Half Marathon The Light Side, Star Wars 10K and Star Wars 5K, and the runDisney Kids Races. Put yourself to the ultimate test and join the Star Wars Rebel Challenge combining the Star Wars 10K and Half Marathon for an out of this world running adventure. As Jedi Master Yoda says, "Do or do not. There is no try!" So DO be a part of the Star Wars Half Marathon The Light Side race event, January 11-14, 2018.

Registration opens Tuesday March 14th. Early AP/DVC registration opens Thursday March 9th. Both days start at 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

Entry Fees

Star Wars Half Marathon The Light Side
    $185
    Star Wars Rebel Challenge
    $330
    Star Wars 10K
    $120
    Star Wars 5K
    $80
    runDisney Kids Races presented by GoGo squeeZ Applesauce on the Go
    $20
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

Just a quick reminder that early AP/DVC registration for the 2018 Star Wars Light Side opens THIS Thursday March 9th @ 9:00 a.m. Pacific / 12:00 p.m. Eastern.

Who is in for another fun January run (or two or three) around Disneyland?

RunningFool

I signed up via the email link after this year's race. I'm in it for the Challenge again!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I see runDisney announced a delay in SWHLS registration. Hmmm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Yup. Interesting...

runDisney Update: Registration for Star Wars Half Marathon at Disneyland has been temporarily postponed and will open at a later date. Updated information regarding early and general registration dates to come.

RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Yup. Interesting...

runDisney Update: Registration for Star Wars Half Marathon at Disneyland has been temporarily postponed and will open at a later date. Updated information regarding early and general registration dates to come.
    No dates or anything. Which tells me something was not secured or checked prior to reg - or so.ething is impacting the race dates.

What really intriguing? That Super Hero has had no hints at issues but u had this with SW. I am totally reading a lot into this but it does make me wonder.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

hmmm, wonder if they'll move it to tie in to SW Land opening

Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiSigDuchessCV View Post
    hmmm, wonder if they'll move it to tie in to SW Land opening
    thats not until 2019 - and expected to be in May or leading into summer - so no runs at that time (tinkerbell is in May).

did anyone do already register for the SWLS via a link that was sent to some of the people who had run this year's marathon. One of my friends said when she logged in to her Active account she noticed a name change on the run. I won't say what she saw unless someone else says they noticed a change too.

Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiSigDuchessCV View Post
    did anyone do already register for the SWLS via a link that was sent to some of the people who had run this year's marathon. One of my friends said when she logged in to her Active account she noticed a name change on the run. I won't say what she saw unless someone else says they noticed a change too.
    Oh, I like it! I've hated the "light side" moniker, and it gives a clue as to what the theming will be. And, new challenge medal.

For anyone who doesn't want the spoiler:

2018 Star Wars Half Marathon - Resistance Run. The 5K just says 5K, but the 10K/half is referred to as the Resistance Challenge.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by runDisney
    UPDATE: Registration for the 2018 Star Wars Half Marathon at Disneyland Resort has been temporarily postponed and will open at a later date. Updated information regarding early and general registration dates to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I got out of bed at 8:55 for this
    Oh well, I thought 10 months was a tad early anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    Oh well, I thought 10 months was a tad early anyway.
    Agree with this. We weren't able to register for Super Heroes because of timing and was worried about this because the same. Its just another not good time for it right now. So I am glad its delayed.

I think the change from light side to that is a good thing.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries

so - its almost May 1st. I keep getting the feeling we won't see an announcement until D23 - or just before - so as to increase the push and sell out over the hype of episode 8. Thoughts?

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    so - its almost May 1st. I keep getting the feeling we won't see an announcement until D23 - or just before - so as to increase the push and sell out over the hype of episode 8. Thoughts?
    May 4 would be a great time to make the announcement.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    May 4 would be a great time to make the announcement.
    That's true!

This is just a theory, but they could be waiting until after Tink to see how it goes staffing the races with paid temps before they commit to pricing and capacity for any future races.

Blog Entries

We've been hearing rumblings that it's course-related. runDisney is supposedly waiting to get city blessings on a new course route before they open registration. If it's true, it makes sense as they can't hold the race without city signing off.

We poked on runDisney at SW Dark Side expo and were directed over to talk to a manager. He could tell us nothing except that they are working on "something wonderful" and to watch social media for announcements of registration opening.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Uh oh. Why do I get the feeling that "watch for social media" means it would go on sale right at announcement. It would not fit the typical reg. model but these days I would not put anything past Disney.

Blog Entries

well May 4th came and went. Maybe May 20th - 40 year anniversary of Star Wars?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    well May 4th came and went. Maybe May 20th - 40 year anniversary of Star Wars?
    And that came and went as well...

It's not giving me great confidence that they are holding quite a bit of money from those of us who pre-registered and yet not a word on what is going on. It's been over four months since pre-reg and almost three months since the delay announcement. And yet, not a peep from runDisney. Frankly, if any other race company pulled this kind of thing, they would be accused of taking the money and running (so to speak...). <sigh>
    RunningFool

In 2014 I bought an AP the day before pre-reg so I'd have 2 shots at getting into the 5K. My AP renewal date is this week. I don't really care if they delay registration, because 7 months is still a little crazy, but I'd at least like to know within, say, another month if it's going to happen at all.

Although at this point I'm leaning towards not doing this race next year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    In 2014 I bought an AP the day before pre-reg so I'd have 2 shots at getting into the 5K. My AP renewal date is this week. I don't really care if they delay registration, because 7 months is still a little crazy, but I'd at least like to know within, say, another month if it's going to happen at all.

Although at this point I'm leaning towards not doing this race next year.
    Makes you wonder if other races that normally compete with SW Light Side such as RnR Arizona are having better-than-normal sign-ups as people move on to other races.
    RunningFool

This was sent to me in May via email.

Thank you for contacting us about the 2018 Star Wars Half Marathon- The Light Side at the Disneyland Resort in California.

We are looking forward to beginning registration for this event. Registration has been temporarily postponed due to operational delays, but updated registration dates will be posted on runDisney.com soon. We are sorry for the disappointment this may cause you but hope to see you partake in this experience once more information can be provided.

We appreciate your interest in runDisney!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jllessenberry View Post
    This was sent to me in May via email.

Thank you for contacting us about the 2018 Star Wars Half Marathon- The Light Side at the Disneyland Resort in California.

We are looking forward to beginning registration for this event. Registration has been temporarily postponed due to operational delays, but updated registration dates will be posted on runDisney.com soon. We are sorry for the disappointment this may cause you but hope to see you partake in this experience once more information can be provided.

We appreciate your interest in runDisney!
    That is such an open door. It didn't really commit to anything.