Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Star Wars Light Side Half Marathon Weekend

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    That is such an open door. It didn't really commit to anything.
    Well, no. I wouldn't expect it to. If they had something they could say, there would already be an announcement. They're not going to say something in an email response that would be any different than what they've already said publicly. Unfortunately, until they're ready to say something, anything, we just have to wait. Anyone who knows what is actually going on isn't going to be able to talk about it.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Well, no. I wouldn't expect it to. If they had something they could say, there would already be an announcement. They're not going to say something in an email response that would be any different than what they've already said publicly. Unfortunately, until they're ready to say something, anything, we just have to wait. Anyone who knows what is actually going on isn't going to be able to talk about it.
    That was my point without expressing the line "this is what I would expect". I'm not that naive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Makes you wonder if other races that normally compete with SW Light Side such as RnR Arizona are having better-than-normal sign-ups as people move on to other races.
    If I had to travel for this race, I'd probably be looking at alternate plans at this point, since it is a holiday weekend. Fortunately I'm local, but I could see where if you've planned or even trained for a race that weekend you'd start looking elsewhere.

Blog Entries

For those that can't wait for runDisney to figure it out
    http://virtualrunningclub.com/events/galaxy-17/

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Thanks for that. Signed my son up for it.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    I've done both Star Wars and Star Trek virtual races through Full Medal Runs, and they have really cool medals too.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

well D23 came and went, no announcement. I halfheartedly think Disney will announce "due to diminished interest we're not holding this" or some sort of excuse besides we can't get a decision on this. City of Anaheim could be to blame here - but nothing and we're 7 months away.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I heard some info from a friend over the weekend, and the delay is definitely not Disney's decision, with regard to this race as well as Tink 2018. I think Disney is staying silent for the moment because they're still trying to work it out, and they don't yet want to throw in the towel and officially call it off. Hopefully, they can come to some agreement, at least with regard to this race, since they've already sold spots.

Blog Entries
    I heard some info from a friend over the weekend, and the delay is definitely not Disney's decision, with regard to this race as well as Tink 2018. I think Disney is staying silent for the moment because they're still trying to work it out, and they don't yet want to throw in the towel and officially call it off. Hopefully, they can come to some agreement, at least with regard to this race, since they've already sold spots.
    thanks for the update

FWIW . . .

I can't vouch for its accuracy, but here is a 7/18 FB posting by someone on the subject of what's going on (or not) with the 2018 Star Wars HM - The Light Side: "I finally just wrote the City of Anaheim asking for the status of the special use permit for this event. Here is the response I received, 'At this time the Police Department has not received the Star Wars Half Marathon 2018 special use permit application.'"

And from runDisney's FB page: Here is a current listing of upcoming events, from which 'Star Wars Half Marathon - The Light Side' is conspicuously absent.

At a minimum, it would seem the issues -- whatever they are -- have not been resolved and rD is hedging its bets re whether or not the event will actually happen.

Attached Images Attached Images

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Footloose View Post
    And from runDisney's FB page: Here is a current listing of upcoming events, from which 'Star Wars Half Marathon - The Light Side' is conspicuously absent.
    But on runDisney's website, the Light Side race is still listed, both in the drop down of "events" and as a separate event page. It would make sense for them not to have an events listing on their FB page since most people can't respond that they're going, only those who have already preregistered.

Quote Originally Posted by Footloose View Post
    FWIW . . .

I can't vouch for its accuracy, but here is a 7/18 FB posting by someone on the subject of what's going on (or not) with the 2018 Star Wars HM - The Light Side: "I finally just wrote the City of Anaheim asking for the status of the special use permit for this event. Here is the response I received, 'At this time the Police Department has not received the Star Wars Half Marathon 2018 special use permit application.'"

At a minimum, it would seem the issues -- whatever they are -- have not been resolved and rD is hedging its bets re whether or not the event will actually happen.
    I wouldn't read too much into the letter from the city. Permits aren't given until much, much closer and they won't give anything except the bare minimum of what they need to.

@cstepehens is probably right as far as FB events are concerned.

I'm willing to bet that we will get an answer within the month. rD knows the growing anxiety and will do what they can to release info/get it going ASAP.

edit: Just saw on another board that there were some hints in the HTML of runDisney as recently as yesterday hinting at the theme, suggesting a full intention to go forward with the weekend. I definitely believe that rD will do everything in their power to get this weekend going.
    Last edited by SoCalBruin; 07-20-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Here's another tidbit. Obviously a rumor (they even say so) but it's interesting. The two races (swls and tink) would be shut down to make room for a full Marathon. I can't see it happening but u never know.
    http://blogmickey.com/2017/07/rumor-...-weekends/amp/

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Here's another tidbit. Obviously a rumor (they even say so) but it's interesting. The two races (swls and tink) would be shut down to make room for a full Marathon. I can't see it happening but u never know.
    http://blogmickey.com/2017/07/rumor-...-weekends/amp/
    But aren't they wrong in saying that AP registration for Star Wars Light Side happened? As I recall, registration was postponed about a day before it was supposed to happen, and the only people who are registered are those who got in through the "thank you for participating this year" link.

It's entirely possible that Star Wars Light Side and Tink could be cancelled in 2018, but that would have no bearing on whether runDisney has a marathon here. And, as many of us have talked about, if they're having trouble getting clearance to run a half-marathon, there's no way they're going to get clearance to run a marathon, at least not on city streets, with how long they'd have to be closed. There's a reason only one Disney marathon has been held in Anaheim.

Blog Entries

U are correct on the AP part - but I never said it was a completely accurate piece. There is a bearing on the other two races if Disney is deciding on which date to choose and possibly is negotiating with the city and other services that say either this or that not all. I don't buy into it as much either but it's another twist on the topic.

Is it possible as well the issue is also now how to make work it with work being done around Paradise Pier? I don't know about it effecting the Star Wars race as much as it would Tink maybe but I guess that could depend on when they start and want it done by. Now with that I will say that I can imagine there are many spreading rumors to see what will stick. It doesn't makes sense to cancel those 2 races though like that person is trying to claim to make way for a full marathon. No matter what the issue is though Disney needs to say something already. They have left to many in limbo that paid already. If its really about the road closures/reopening times then maybe we shall hear something after the Labor Day 5am start. Otherwise I wonder if its more than just this that is the issues.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

I don't believe there can be another full marathon event ever at disneyland. I remember reading an article years ago about the reasons why they weren't aloud to have one but here is a different article that hints at some reasons from Mouseplanet.... https://www.mouseplanet.com/10333/Th...yland_Marathon

[]
    darwinquincy[S] 55 points 3 years ago*

If anybody is curious, the post references a Running Times article (incorrectly identified as a Runners World article). Here is the excerpt and link:

Best Adventures in Race Certification Blooper Presented by the Amelia Earhart Society

This award goes to Doug Thurston, the race director of the (in his words) "first, last and only Disneyland Marathon in Anaheim, CA in March 1995 (not to be confused with the successful and ongoing event at Disney World in Orlando, FL)." Again, lets let Doug tell the story in his own words:

"I can speak firsthand of thinking my career was over when all 1,600 marathon runners were directed off-course about a mile and a half into the race, missing about two miles of the course. Wrong turns is a story often told. What makes this story for the ages is that Ron Scardera, the course measurer, was on-site with his calibrated bicycle and was able to measure the lost distance and add it on to the end of the race and recertify the course while it was being run. The course was a complicated double out-and-back loop through the Disneyland theme park and surrounding streets. Although the splits made little sense to the runners, by the time theyd hit the finish line theyd finished a certified marathon. The course counted as a qualifier for the Boston Marathon and Olympic Trials. You can imagine the scene as we were laying out cones and moving volunteers and barricades with the lead runners bearing down on us."

Along with this award, we present Doug with the Best Sense of Humor in the Aftermath of Disaster Award.

Running's Greatest Bloopers, Running Times, November 1999

In all honesty, this is pretty impressive. Can you imagine redoing a marathon course, on the fly, during an actual marathon?
    Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

So glanced at another board that someone said they heard it was on Disney's side and not the city at all. The city hasn't had anything put in for permits and such for anything when it comes to 2018. Taking it all with a grain of salt myself with everything said about the races for next year. One said that Disney was going to say something in Aug. Guess time will tell if they do or not though and if we will ever know what the real issues are behind the delay. There was a bunch more said as well but I don't feel comfortable posting it all or the link from another board.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    So glanced at another board that someone said they heard it was on Disney's side and not the city at all. The city hasn't had anything put in for permits and such for anything when it comes to 2018. Taking it all with a grain of salt myself with everything said about the races for next year. One said that Disney was going to say something in Aug. Guess time will tell if they do or not though and if we will ever know what the real issues are behind the delay. There was a bunch more said as well but I don't feel comfortable posting it all or the link from another board.
    So many theories and guesses out there and runDisney just keeps silent. I guess as long as we're still talking about it, they are happy.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    So many theories and guesses out there and runDisney just keeps silent. I guess as long as we're still talking about it, they are happy.
    Agree and even if one claims to talk to the city or someone in Disney its hard to know if its true or not since anyone can say anything really. Obviously it would be nice to know what is up but we all know Disney will say things when they want or can. LOL

Maybe it's all a big conspiracy so everyone registers as soon as it opens. Then it wold look like they had a near-automatic sell out. Like the "good ole days." 😂

But on runDisney's website, the Light Side race is still listed, both in the drop down of "events" and as a separate event page. It would make sense for them not to have an events listing on their FB page since most people can't respond that they're going, only those who have already preregistered.
    Yup, makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBruin View Post
    I wouldn't read too much into the letter from the city. Permits aren't given until much, much closer and they won't give anything except the bare minimum of what they need to.
    True . . . which, for the record, speaking as an event organizer, can be a little nerve-racking.

If they don't open registration before the DL Half Expo opens, I might try to wander by the runDisney displays to overhear some of the interactions. Maybe there will be another AP popcorn promotion by then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    If they don't open registration before the DL Half Expo opens, I might try to wander by the runDisney displays to overhear some of the interactions. Maybe there will be another AP popcorn promotion by then.
    i don't see how they can wait that long and still expect people to book their travel (for those that need it).