Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disney College Trip

Disney College Trip

Hey Guys! So as the topic says, I'm in college and a bunch of my friends and I are wanting to do a trip to Disney. Out tentative timeline is for early May next year. We have all been several times, but planning this will be our first big undertaking. I ask you, oh seasoned veterans of Mousepad, If you were on a college budget, how would you do Disney without sacrificing the magic?

2. # ADS

Well, if you want to stay on-site, look at Pop Century, or depending on how many of you there, maybe Art of Animation suites. And look for special offers.

"Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!" -- Donald Duck

We are looking into staying at Pop Century, and waiting to see if they have the free dining plan deal for early next May. The goal is to have 6-8 people split up into two rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Everest Kid View Post
    We are looking into staying at Pop Century, and waiting to see if they have the free dining plan deal for early next May. The goal is to have 6-8 people split up into two rooms.
    We took advantage of the free dining plan add-on in early 2011 and late 2012, back when the economy was poor. We liked doing that so when we looked to go again in 2015 and just this past January we looked for that perk, but have yet to see it return, and probably won't.

Keep in mind that Disney does charge extra for more than 2 adults in a room. I think it's around $10 per extra adult. Still cheaper than getting more rooms, just something to factor when you're looking at the prices.

Are you planning to drive or fly? If flying, do you anticipate renting a car?

I'd like to know that too currence. OP will you have a car on your stay? If you are driving in that's wonderful!! Your group can load up with drinks and snacks that you can put in your room. If you pick your room right you will be parked right outside and can bring it straight from the car without a lot of hassle. Taking my own 2-liters, snacks and food has always helped me keep the cost down. It also helps me stay in my room after a long day and eat a PB&J instead of walking to the food court.

If you are driving consider staying offsite at an airbnb location. I've done this before and stayed for $65/night in a very nice condo that could easily sleep 6. The perk is the multiple bathrooms, bedrooms, and kitchen area and typically a washer/dryer set up in the space. Usually parking and wifi amenities are free and often there is a pool. The con is that typically you have to bring your own shampoos and you need to clean up after yourself. Also, the staying onsite Disney magic is often missing.

But for the budget conscious, it's a good option.

Ah yes, I did forget to mention our mode of transportation. We do plan on driving, and thanks for the heads up on additional adult surcharges, currence! Airbnb is something I had not even thought of! I'll get to crunching numbers for onsite accommodations and check with the crew to see if the offsite savings would be worth sacrificing EMH, among other benefits. Goodnplenty, we will have to look into doing something like that if we are unable to do the dining plan deal. Have any of y'all eaten at Raglan Road in Disney springs?

More on the on-site/off-site decision -- if you stay on-site you can reserve Fastpass+ 60 days in advance, but if you're off-site, you can only reserve 30 days in advance. If you're off-site, you'll need to drive to the parks each day and pay to park (don't even think about using off-site-provided shuttles), but on-site, you can use Disney transportation for no additional cost, or park for free it you prefer to drive your own car to the parks. If you stay off-site, you can't use the Dining Plan at all, free or otherwise.

"Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!" -- Donald Duck

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If offsite, do budget for parking as well.. and gas... and time... Which may make it more of a value to stay on site.

Keep in mind - cheaper does not always make for a better value, even if you are college students on a budget.

Just something to consider....

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

And if anyone has an annual pass, parking is free. And depending on how many days you plan to go for, it may be worth it to pay for an AP to get the dining and merchandise discounts. Then you can also buy the Tables in Wonderland card for $150 and get the discount on alcohol at table service restaurants as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Everest Kid View Post
    You really need to weigh the "free" dining against a discount on the room. Would you really eat the amount of food you are essentially paying for through the non-discounted room cost?

You can save on food by buying breakfast supplies at a grocery store. Buy kids meals at quick service if you are not a big eater. Split larger entrees with others. Blaze pizza at Disney Springs is one of the best non-park deals for food. Limit your table service to a few special meals and you will save a bundle.

Steph makes a good point, the room discount might be a lot better than trying to get dining plan. You can save a lot by taking cheese sticks and fruit snacks with you in the morning and just eat two actual meals in the parks. Sharing portions works and allows you to try more different things.

Another veteran tip. At the resort gift shops they sell single beers at slightly lower than 'are you insane?' prices. However, if you ask for it they will give you a six pack rate which is of course much better.