Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Mickey and Friends parking structure evacuated due to car fire 2/13

Car Fire in Mickey and Friends Parking Structure

Around 4:30 p.m. there was a car fire in the M&F Parking Structure on the second floor on the Ball Road side. It went to a second alarm they are reporting six to seven cars burned. Local news has been showing video from the air.

2. # ADS

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Mickey and Friends parking structure evacuated due to car fire 2/13

Image courtesy Facebook user Timmery Bors-Koefoed

Eight cars suffered major damage in a fire that broke out in the Mickey and Friends parking structure at the Disneyland Resort earlier this evening. Seven people were treated for minor smoke inhalation, with four transported to area hospitals, according to the Anaheim fire department.

The Anaheim fire department responded to a car fire in the structure around 4:40 p.m. Monday evening, and reported that the fire was out around 5:35 p.m. The parking structure was evacuated, and Disney temporarily halted tram service to the structure. Disneyland visitors trying to get to the parking structure were directed to walk through Downtown Disney, and then held in the Pinocchio parking lot until the parking structure could be inspected.

Shortly after 7:00 p.m., Disneyland reported that all except the second floor Daisy level of the parking structure had reopened so visitors could retrieve their cars.

The Anaheim fire department has put an initial damage estimate at $180k, and says four of the burned vehicles are a total loss. The cause of the blaze is under investigation, but the department says no foul play is suspected.
    Last edited by AVP; 02-13-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw a photo of Cast Members outside, and the caption implied they had parked at M&F.
    I know it was the biggest parking structure (in the US?) when it was built - but I didn't think it was big enough that CMs parked there.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I saw a photo of Cast Members outside, and the caption implied they had parked at M&F.
    I know it was the biggest parking structure (in the US?) when it was built - but I didn't think it was big enough that CMs parked there.
    It really depends on where the employees work. Some are assigned to park in the structure, others park in BCML behind the structure and cut through the structure to take the tram to their work location. I know the Daisy level is often CM parking.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    There is a CM lot right next to the M&F structure. It is on the Ball side of the structure. If you saw any footage from the news last night the (ladder) Truck Companies where staged in that lot next to the up ramps.

Do they know the source? Heard a car or a vent. Just glad no one got hurt as in burns etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post
    Do they know the source? Heard a car or a vent. Just glad no one got hurt as in burns etc.
    I would think it was a car. Here is a link with some info and there is also another in the story with video.
    http://www.firehouse.com/news/123051...structure-fire

Thank you! It does have a bit more!

"Preliminary investigation of the incident has pointed to two vehicles, a 2015 Toyota Prius and a 2001 Ford Expedition, as the possible source of the fire, Wyatt said."

http://ktla.com/2017/02/14/disneylan...thorities-say/

Has the structure been in use since the fire, or have they been using only Toy Story lot?

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    "Preliminary investigation of the incident has pointed to two vehicles, a 2015 Toyota Prius and a 2001 Ford Expedition, as the possible source of the fire, Wyatt said."

Interesting. I'm pretty sure that a 2001 Expedition would have been included as part of the big 2006 recall that Ford did because of spontaneous engine fires (we had a family friend whose pickup caught fire because of the cruise control switch, the exact reason for the recall and subsequent class-action suit).
    ~ Kaz
    Any time is food time, when you set your clock on Pooh time!

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post

Very interesting. Tnks for the update! Wonder if some one blocked the vent that feeds the battery. Yes there is a cooling vent.

Quote Originally Posted by D15 View Post
    Interesting. I'm pretty sure that a 2001 Expedition would have been included as part of the big 2006 recall that Ford did because of spontaneous engine fires (we had a family friend whose pickup caught fire because of the cruise control switch, the exact reason for the recall and subsequent class-action suit).
    I was thinking of the same recall when I read Steph's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by pretty Omi View Post
    Has the structure been in use since the fire, or have they been using only Toy Story lot?
    I read somewhere that it was back in use within a few hours. I don't think the structure took any damage at all.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I read somewhere that it was back in use within a few hours. I don't think the structure took any damage at all.
    I read it as they were allowing people in to retrieve their vehicles, but that would mean the structure was safe either way.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    I read it as they were allowing people in to retrieve their vehicles, but that would mean the structure was safe either way.
    This is how I interpreted it as well, since they posted online that anyone arriving the rest of the day would be sent to Toy Story Lot.
    I figure these structures are built to withstand such things, but always good to know for sure before arriving and experiencing the detour

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pretty Omi View Post
    It reopened the next morning. They were not parking the section where the fire happened, but they parked the rest of that floor and the other floors.

AVP

Not sure how they scetion the floors on the parking structure, but section 5 and 6 were the last two that were closed on Daisy when they did the last update on Twitter Monday night. I would think those will stay closed until they can get a crew in there to wash everything down and repaint the stalls.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Engine74 View Post
    Not sure how they scetion the floors on the parking structure, but section 5 and 6 were the last two that were closed on Daisy when they did the last update on Twitter Monday night. I would think those will stay closed until they can get a crew in there to wash everything down and repaint the stalls.
    They number from north (row 1) to south (the row closest to the escalators), and then letter from east (A) to west. So if they said sections 5&6, that would be rows 5&6, which IIRC are the first two rows north of the center divide of the structure.

I love Princess Aurora Princess Aurora Fan's Avatar

We park on Mickey & Friend but I use it by the characters floors and not number so what level was on fire. Was it Goofy's or Mickey's?

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Aurora Fan View Post
    We park on Mickey & Friend but I use it by the characters floors and not number so what level was on fire. Was it Goofy's or Mickey's?
    It was on Dasiy.

I wonder which vehicle it was, or maybe even both. There is a recall on the 2015 Toyota Prius about items in the cargo area hitting the wiring to the subwoofer back there. The wire comes loose and touches something else and causes a short circuit that can start a fire.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Stopped by today and took a look. They were parking Daisy when I left, but it looked like the back half of rows 5 & 6 were still taped off.

AVP

Was there yesterday, parked on Daisy, they had the area sectioned off. A small crew of workers was working there, looked overall pretty cleaned up tho.

Parking all areas of Daisy, no sign of the fire anywhere now