Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Rivers of Light [begins February 17]

Rivers of Light [begins February 17]

Starts for real next week! Dining packages like Fantasmic are now on sale. This is definite as I've booked one for next weekend

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

2. # ADS

Wow Scooby you are fast on the draw! Great going snagging the dining package! I hope to see it Saturday night, 2/18.

That's a shame I'll miss saying hello then as we are there on the 19th.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Please report back. DH and the kids are super excited for this and want to set something up for our June trip.

Take a look at easyWDW.com. They have a pretty good report, including many pictures, on the RoL preview.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Made our ADRs for the dinner package at Tusker House for our June trip. Looking forward to seeing AK at night.

So we just got back from this dining package seating deal. Tusker House was madness at lunch time. Awful service to the point I only tipped 15% which is only the second time I have ever tipped less than 20% at WDW. Food in there has suffered from them packing people in IMO. Not impressed. We arrived at 6.45pm in the dining reserved seating area which is opposite the Nemo entrance for the 7.15 show. It was already nearly full. There are large, tall, fat lights at the end of each isle of benches. Alert, alert, alert. They are view ruiners. Avoid at all costs. A cast member tried to make us slide up to sit slap bang behind one. That wasn't going to happen....... The show itself is a mix of lasers, projections, music, floating flower type craft, water features and two boats with live performers on them. The live performers are very hard to see and I think telling the story but it doesn't work. It would be better without them in my view they serve as a distraction. All the individual elements of the show are pretty cool but I have to say it just doesn't seem to hang together properly. The story was almost totally lost on me. Given the amount of money they must have spent to create this massive viewing area I think Disney must be in a panic about this because it is poor I'm afraid. I can honestly say I will not be bothering twice unless they can get all the elements working together better with a decent narrative. Oh. It started 20 minutes late as well due to technical problems. Five out of ten.

Darn. Sorry to hear of your poor experience.

Thanks for the tip on the large light stands.

If it was that bad for the dining package reserved seats, I wonder how bad it must be for regular standby or FP+.

Hopefully it evolves into a more typical positive experience, but I really would have thought after the original delay of it's debut that they would have had it together a little better by the actual opening.

In fairness I guess it is only been "live" for about a week including the soft openings, so I will remain hopeful.

-Dave

Oh man sorry to read this report. We just made our ADRs at Tusker House for the dinner package. I wonder if Tiffins would be a better choice? I'll have to go read that menu.

I stay hopeful like Dave said that by the time we go in June they will have worked out the kinks.

Thanks for letting us know about the light posts!

A bit more detail on my issues with the meal as others here have booked Tusker House. We queued 15 minutes to check in. Then we waited a further 10 minutes to be called. Our server arrived promptly but was clearly disappointed I wasn't ordering alcohol (it was lunch and I am on my own with a teenager). It then took 20 minutes for our cokes to arrive. The carving station had salmon and pork. It took 15 minutes before there was any pork and three other food choices were empty for about the same amount of time. We waited an hour and saw three out of four characters. Our server brought me our bill 25 minutes into the meal and replaced our drinks just once again after quite a delay. Then taking our tip and bringing the receipt happened only after I had found him and asked him to finish off our payment. I have eaten here before and believe the food options have reduced. By comparison we ate at Crystal Palace earlier in the week which was also heaving and received excellent service and enjoyed a wider range of food. It took 50 minutes for all the characters to circulate but in that time we saw two of them twice. Our drinks were refilled five times (we declined the fifth offer of a refill).

Thanks so much Scooby for that review. Your details are very helpful.

We saw the second show this past Sunday, March 5. We walked up about 15 minutes before the show started, and had no issues with congestion in the walkways from Africa to Asia at the theater outside Everest. We had Fastpass+ reservations and sat about 4-5 rows down from the top.

I enjoyed the show. The animal floats are beautiful. The music was good. The mist screens were hit and miss. The moving screens were amazing, but the larger ones seemed to have some issues. It was a bit windy on Sunday. I think the show has great potential, and I hope they continue to improve it. It's not a must see yet for me, but I will definitely make an effort to see it again on my next trip.

Just caught the end of it last night from the walkway. It looks like it has some potential, but not worth a FPP use and I'm not going to wait an hour or more to sit down. Some cool floats.