Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Daughter's 18th Birthday at Disneyland

Daughter's 18th Birthday at Disneyland

This is our last year with both of the kids at home before college so at Christmas we surprised them with a trip to Disneyland over DD's 18th birthday. Our dates in town will be March 1st-7th with a couple of days at Universal as well. Any ideas of how to affordably enhance the birthday experience at the park? She is a Disneyland enthusiast. I know about the birthday buttons so our first stop will be at City Hall for one of those. Her 18th will be our first day in the park. The kids are a little disappointed as the refurbishment schedule keeps rolling out, but I know that's the price to pay for going off-season.

2. # ADS

Does the budget allow for a character breakfast on her birthday? Minnie's has the most characters, but Mickey only appears at Surf's Up. A character breakfast will give you lots of fun photos as a family with the characters on your DD's special day. Have her wear the button. She'll get lots of attention and good wishes from everyone. Maybe a special autograph book that says something like "_____'s 18th Birthday!"? The DLR app will let you know where characters are holding M&Gs and when. Your daughter can get lots of autographs and photos of characters wishing her a happy birthday.

Thanks, tea4two, great idea! She did mention that she'd like to do a new autograph book. Her last one was about 11 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by erinemc76 View Post
    I know about the birthday buttons so our first stop will be at City Hall for one of those.
    You can get the buttons at any store, too. When we were in line at City Hall last week, the CM kept trying to intercept anyone just there for a button to redirect them to the stores. That City Hall line can be quite long!

Splurge on one nice meal. Big Thunder BBQ used to be our special place for celebrations but you can do Blue Bayou, a character meal as another poster mentioned, or one of the hotel restaurants. We really like Storytellers Caf at the Grand Californian around 2 PM - prices are reasonable as the expensive buffet has ended by then, but sometimes the characters are still around (Chip, Dale, Pluto, and a few from Brother Bear, IIRC). The food is great and the free bread basket is much appreciated.

You may still have time to order her some custom-made ears from Etsy or another online place. There are a lot of neat options out there. Or, make your own - there's endless inspiration on the internet. I made ears for DH and myself when we spent our 22nd anniversary at Disneyland. We got lots of positive comments. (They were a pain to make, but maybe you're more crafty than I am ).
    Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

Quote Originally Posted by Janis and Aaron View Post
    You can get the buttons at any store, too. When we were in line at City Hall last week, the CM kept trying to intercept anyone just there for a button to redirect them to the stores. That City Hall line can be quite long!

Splurge on one nice meal. Big Thunder BBQ used to be our special place for celebrations but you can do Blue Bayou, a character meal as another poster mentioned, or one of the hotel restaurants. We really like Storytellers Caf at the Grand Californian around 2 PM - prices are reasonable as the expensive buffet has ended by then, but sometimes the characters are still around (Chip, Dale, Pluto, and a few from Brother Bear, IIRC). The food is great and the free bread basket is much appreciated.

You may still have time to order her some custom-made ears from Etsy or another online place. There are a lot of neat options out there. Or, make your own - there's endless inspiration on the internet. I made ears for DH and myself when we spent our 22nd anniversary at Disneyland. We got lots of positive comments. (They were a pain to make, but maybe you're more crafty than I am ).
    The custom ear idea is really fun. My wife makes custom ears, and she's had orders for custom Birthday ears a few times. A couple times everyone in the party wore matching custom birthday ears, plus my wife makes the Birthday Girl's ears super special so they stand out in the bunch.
    There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    The custom ear idea is really fun. My wife makes custom ears, and she's had orders for custom Birthday ears a few times. A couple times everyone in the party wore matching custom birthday ears, plus my wife makes the Birthday Girl's ears super special so they stand out in the bunch.
    I've seen bridal parties with matching ear hats, with the bride's hat being extra-special.
    Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

Quote Originally Posted by Janis and Aaron View Post
    I've seen bridal parties with matching ear hats, with the bride's hat being extra-special.
    She can do those too. She's really getting into this and is super talented. Has some really unique designs, but can make anything desired to order. Erinemc76-If you are interested PM me and I'll let you know where to checkout her ears.
    There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Great ideas, everyone! Thanks.