Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Staying at Port Orleans Riverside this July

Staying at Port Orleans Riverside this July

We are going for 10 days and have booked a room in Alligator Bayou portion of POR. There are 7 of us all together with 3 rooms booked. We all booked preferred rooms so that we would be in the buildings closest to the main building. Are there any particular things that we should be aware of? What are others thoughts on this resort? The last time I stayed on property was 7 years ago at Caribbean Beach, which we found to be just too spread out and not very quiet, plus the bus stops. I have heard terrible and no terrible things about the bus service at POR, is it really all that bad? This will be our daughter's first trip and most likely the only one where we stay on property, unless we win the lottery.

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

POR was my very first Disney resort experience and it still remains a fave of ours. It has a lot of features and shows off a lot of charm.
    Yes, its a bit spread out, but it is not as big as other resorts.
    Never had an issue with their bus service either.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Staying at Port Orleans Riverside this July

I've stayed here in a preferred room three times. Great location which makes total resort size a none issue to you. The food court is the best I have sampled on property and I've visited them all (not stayed at all the resorts!) apart from the values which I can't comment on. We've never had a problem with the buses. There are several stop so that inevitably takes as long as it takes but you knew that before you booked. The boat to Disney Springs is cool, the main pool is fun with showers, lockers and a decent bar and the quiet pools are lovely. I have always found the resort to be spotless and he better housekeeping here than anywhere apart from AKL where our room cleaning was superior to all other on property stays I've had. I'm sure you'll love it. It's one of my favourites.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

The bus service at PO-R can be a bit long. It's consistent, but there are four stops in Riverside, and possibly one stop in French Quarter. During busy times, the buses might have to skip a stop or two. If they do, the driver will radio in to dispatch another bus, but that might take a little longer to get where you need to go.

Even so, I love the charm of Port Orleans, and that definitely outweighs any issues with the buses. I stayed in Alligator Bayou near a quiet pool, and jumped in one sleepless night around 2 am. It definitely calmed the nerves.

The beignets at French Quarter are really good. My girlfriend said they're a little heavier than what you'd find in New Orleans, but they're still really tasty. She gave them a solid 8.

If you have a resort day (and being here 10 days, at least one, if not two is definitely recommended), go walk around the resort. Stroll from Riverside to French Quarter and back. Get into the Ol' Man Island, one of the best (and possibly the best) moderate pool on property. Take the ferry to Disney Springs. There's a lot to do here.

I'm planning a early January 2018 trip, and thinking of a mansion room this time. I still don't want to leave PO, unless I win the lottery, and then I'm leaving for Grand Floridian

If you want to learn almost everything about Port Orleans, Andre Wiley has a great website, and very aptly named: http://www.portorleans.org/

Last edited by FelisLachesis; 02-01-2017 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Eye kun spel gud.

We have stayed at POR three times (twice in Alligator Bayou and once in the Mansions) and POFQ once. We love these resorts. Make sure you enjoy both food courts and the ferry to Disney Springs. The buses have never been an issue for us. We always rely totally on Disney transportation when we are there. Sometimes after a long day at a park, we would get tired of all the bus stops, but that is just us being "grumpy" after a long day. If you do take a day off from the parks, take the time to walk around both resorts. There are some great places to take a picture...beautiful fountains, gazebos, etc.

Have a great time!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~ Walt Disney ~
    1982 Off-site, BC 9/01, ASMo 1/04, ASMu 8-9/08, POFQ 4/09, BC/POR 7/10, AKL and Wyndham Grand Resort at Bonnet Creek 7&8/12, CS 11/12, Disney Dream 3/13, POR and BW 12/13-1/14, Pop Century 7/14, Fort Wilderness 8/15, POR/AoA (MNSSHP and Food and Wine Festival 10/15), Fort Wilderness 7/16, Off-site 12/16, Off-site 12/17, Off-site 12/18 and Disney Magic, 7/19 Off-site DL/DCA